• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PSA from parents of Sandy Hook victims

ben1

NES Member
I saw this on my Facebook feed this afternoon which is a new PSA created by the parents of the Sandy Hook victims.

https://www.facebook.com/Fox32Chicago/videos/10155190778208797/

While it does show that you need to look at the signs from the person, its swayed towards guns where they have the kid reading gun magazines and surfing the web on a gun video. I personally think it would have been more effective if they had kept the inanimate objects used out of it so it really does focus on signs like bullying, anti-social behavior, and perhaps the medications these kids are put on.

I saw that too. My wife played it for me the other day. All in all, I was just happy to see that it wasn't the typical "we should ban all guns for the children!" type of psa we have been used to seeing. I personally felt it was very well done.

I saw it the other day too.
I guess the message is to watch for the hidden warning signs.
However, I really don't see the message offering much of a real solution.

The question is, what's normal adolescent moodiness and drama, and what's a sign that a kid is going to go off the rails and do something violent. Absent a credible stated threat of intent to do harm, it's really tough to tell sometimes. Adolescents are often into music or films or video games that have dark or violent themes yet would never think of acting those things out in real life.

Also I thought the mom of the Sandy Hook shooter knew darn well that her kid had mental health problems and was exploring options to get him into treatment, but didn't quite get him help in time to keep him from going over the edge and killing her and all those kids.

Back
Top Bottom