protecting a old revolver's finish

My father has an early 60s SW blued 38 that probably hasn't been cleaned in 45 years and has sat in all kinds of humid and unhumid conditions...
Looks old, but spotless.
I just used a .22 from the 1950s that looked like it had never been cleaned. Aside from a few scratches, stock and bluing looked really good.
I think gun finishes can take more abuse and neglect than people think.

Put me down as a WD-40 user.
I also use it on a Dixie Gun Works replica M1861 Springfield and Navy Arms replica Charleville flintlock musket - both of which are "bright" or bare metal. I have had them since the 1980s and never had rust develop in storage. Even when kept in an unheated part of my home. My blued and Parkerized guns have not had issues either.
As an aside, if you save one of the little "Do Not Eat" packets of dessicants that come with consumer items on occasion, I would put one in the box with your firearm of concern.

I would remove the grips, store them with the gun, and make sure the protective wipedown covered the metal usually under the grips. I've seen pristine used guns where the grips were never removed for cleaning - not a pretty sight. And store in VCI bags or paper.
Excellent advice! I’ve had excellent results using BoeShield T9. It sprays on and leaves a “ waxy” coating. It has totally prevented rust in the humid Cape environment.

been using VCI to some extent for a long time. Was using Cortec for many years just got harder to find and more expensive.
Been using Z rust for past 6 years or so. Like the VCI bags and the bore inserts

for a wipe on finish protector ? If your checking the guns several times a year then juist about any oil will do. Simple 3in1 will work. If your putting it up you want somethimg thats a bit more lasting like a wax or even a cosmoline type of coating. I use some spray on stuff , name exscapes me at the moment but it smells like cosmoline to me.

VCI bags are much cheaper if you buy them from vendors that do not call them "gun storage bags" as the later indicates they are targeting individual consumers rather than industrial buyers.

Uline offers some great pricing, though you have to buy in quantity. 17 cents for a 9x12; 25 cents if you want ziplock

VCI Reclosable Poly Bags in Stock - ULINE

Back
Top Bottom