protecting a old revolver's finish

appraiser

NES Member
If you had a "safe queen" 40 year old revolver in the original cardboard box and paper, normally stored in a humidity controlled environment, what would you wipe it down with to prevent any issues with the finish/ rust before it gets put away?

If you had a "safe queen" 40 year old revolver in the original cardboard box and paper, normally stored in a humidity controlled environment, what would you wipe it down with to prevent any issues with the finish/ rust before it gets put away?

Renaissance wax?

Just a guess. I have a lot of revolvers older than 40 years, but I've never worried all that much about the finish. Especially if I can keep the humidity controlled. And I think I'd store it outside the cardboard box, probably.

I have a lot of revolvers older than 40 years, but I've never worried all that much about the finish.
my attitude...

i wipe down everything with remoil or something similar maybe 2x a year. no problems to date. i don't overthink storage, it over complicates things. different story if you store your stuff on a boat. [laugh]

Any good gun oil and wrap it in a new piece of vci paper. Roll up some vci for the bore.

Eezox is supposed to be good for rust prevention. The recommended CLP for the Seecamp. I will probably use it on everything from now on. It took everything off the breech face, something that CLP, or Hoppes wouldn’t do.

Last edited:
I would remove the grips, store them with the gun, and make sure the protective wipedown covered the metal usually under the grips. I've seen pristine used guns where the grips were never removed for cleaning - not a pretty sight. And store in VCI bags or paper.

Last edited:
Great reminder on under the grips. I’ll brush some Corrosion X or LPS#3 under them, reinstall and continue my normal wipe down with Breakfree.

Hornady One-Shot is the best rust preventer of all gun care products. That said, I'd probably give it a coat of Renaissance Microcrystalline wax as that's what museums use. Also, you want to be very careful to use an absolutely clean cloth on it - any small dirt particles will scratch. And I'd handle it wearing perfectly new cotton gloves, to prevent acidic oils from the hands getting on the finish. For maximum protection in an enclosed environment, I'd wrap the boxed firearm in anti-oxidant paper as well.

My wife's dad has a 1970s vintage S&W Model 15 .38 Special that was Metalifed many years ago. Ancient technology, but today that gun looks better than the day it was made. Survived the humidity of Louisiana no problem at all.

Renaissance wax?

Just a guess. I have a lot of revolvers older than 40 years, but I've never worried all that much about the finish. Especially if I can keep the humidity controlled. And I think I'd store it outside the cardboard box, probably.
This. Renaissance wax. That is what museums use.

You could also dip it in Cosmoline. Would be a pain to clean, but your revolver will be fine for the next 100 years.

For long term storage I like CRC 3-36. For regular maintenance I give a periodic wipe down with Ballistol.

Last edited:
gun oil, remoil is my personal preference.

I know that several people here have said WD40. Do NOT do that.
WD40 oxidizes, it will gum up. It has no rust preventatives in it.
It's fine for cleaning up some stuff, but this isn't what it's designed for.

Yes. WD40 isn’t any good. WD stands for water dispersing I believe. Also eezox is a bit hazardous. It has Trichloroethylene in it. That’s why it cleans better than anything else. Ok to use, just take precautions.

gun oil, remoil is my personal preference.

I know that several people here have said WD40. Do NOT do that.
WD40 oxidizes, it will gum up. It has no rust preventatives in it.
It's fine for cleaning up some stuff, but this isn't what it's designed for.
No oil is good for long term.

Long term, easy to clean = Renaissance Wax.

Yes. WD40 isn’t any good. WD stands for water dispersing I believe. Also eezox is a bit hazardous. It has Trichloroethylene in it. That’s why it cleans better than anything else. Ok to use, just take precautions.

Standard wd40 has been shown in some cases to promote rust. There is however pro grade wd40 meant for corrosion protection that reviews quite well (as does froglube).

Depending on the effort your willing to put in Renaissance wax is great stuff

I have a nice old Winchester rifle that I've stored in a silicone infused sock that's held up for over 25 years now, WD40 is great also, just be mindful of wood grips, they can be stained by some of the protectants, but can also dry out over time
When the propellants and other stuff evaporates from WD40 what's left is mineral oil. Your wood stocks will love it. They'll shine with a mellow gloss and look beautiful. The older the wood the better they look.

Standard wd40 has been shown in some cases to promote rust. There is however pro grade wd40 meant for corrosion protection that reviews quite well (as does froglube).

Depending on the effort your willing to put in Renaissance wax is great stuff
How’s Froglube? Liquid, or spray? How’s it compare to CLP?

How’s Froglube? Liquid, or spray? How’s it compare to CLP?

Relevant articles:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KCHARdTCjE

TL/DW- Froglube seems to work better. I chose the Wd40 pro rust protector because apparently froglube is coconut based and can go rancid, and its sprayable, I don't think that was a FL option at the time. If you read or watch nothing else, watch this one:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4VNF5VRSY4

Last edited:
0AD450EF-A559-4356-A38D-604B914F92C9.jpeg E00DC1D1-D322-4E24-AA29-524E62E3DC63.jpeg
Here’s my 1973 model 15. Depending on storage laws, it’s been in my dresser drawer for 29 years, no I didn’t follow Mass law.

The finish wasn’t pristine when I bought it, but being exposed to humidity and air hasn’t done any damage to it.

I think any oil will be fine, especially if you’ve taken other steps to protect it.

Back
Top Bottom