• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Proposed Mandatory Concealed Carry Legislation

mu2bdriver

NES Member
More information can be seen at www.ctgunrights.com , www.ctguntalk.com , www.ctshooting.com , or the two other websites listed below.

Please note - this is NOT repeat NOT a bill on the table right now - it is an intended PROPOSAL obtained from an FOI request from the Dept of Public Safety (State Police), but is very ominous in its scope and potential impact to discourage or make impractical YOUR right to carry your handgun (even WITH your valid State permit!)

This means, if you carry now - and someone can see a part of your gun, or it "prints" through your clothes and is obvious the outlines of a gun can be seen - YOU WILL BE ARRESTED, IMPRISONED and FINED.

Please also note, there is no apparent exemption for Open Carrying at a firing range or gun club!
Start contacting your representatives NOW!! Find them at www.ctsas.info

If they are successful in passing this - next year they will go after hunters and long gun target shooters walking with uncased rifles and shotguns from their vehicles to their shooting and/or hunting sites

Obtained by an FOI request by a member of the CCDL (CT Citizens Defense League)
www.ccdl.us

IMPORTANT PART OF THIS PROPOSAL:

Concealed pistol or revolver means a firearm, that is a pistol or revolver that is covered or enclosed in any manner that an observer cannot determine that it is a handgun without removing it from that which covers or encloses it or without opening, lifting, or removing that which covers or encloses it. However, concealed handgun does not include a shotgun or rifle.

(d) Any person who violates any provision of subsection (a) of this section shall: (1) for conviction of a first offense, be fined not less than five hundred dollars or more than two thousand dollars, and (b) be imprisoned not more than one year; and (2) for a subsequent conviction of this offense (a) be fined not less than two thousand dollars or more than five thousand dollars, and (b) be imprisoned not more than five years.

Link to Document obtained from a CCDL member

http://www.ctgunrights.com/00.Doc/2010.Cover.for.Concealed.Legislation.pdf

Read it.
Don't like it...at all.
Too vague, too broad.
Also, it is a felony. Police are not supposed to use thier discression to not arrest if the crime is a felony. Seems likely that law abiding people who make an honest mistake or otherwise are not doing anything with criminal intent would become violators of the proposed statute.

No doubt this is in response to the open carry movement.

Not so sure about that. FLA has this and they get a good 30+ convictions per year out of it. I realize a lot of those are punk kids showing off but it may be calculated chance at trying to make ccw very unattractive while not making it completely illegal.

Problems with this law:
1. As stated, no exceptions granted for gun ranges.
2. No exceptions granted for employees of stores (how many gun shop people do you see open carrying?)
3. No exceptions for you own home. If I want to walk around my house carrying (not that I do or anything), that is my right.
4. The restriction is too vague. Someone who knows a person to carry a firearm, and gets upset at that them, could call 9-1-1 and state they saw the "print" of the firearm. Said person would likely be arrested promptly. Conversely, if you call 9-1-1 for a reckless driver, unless they catch said driver in the act, they will take no action. Anyone else see something wrong with this?

Side notes:
1. There is nothing in the statute which allows for revocation of permits for this offense or confiscation of firearms; something the state police routinely do.
2. There is no definition of this offense. Is this a misdemeanor or felony?

I don't like this one bit.

this bill will go nowhere...they tried last year to sneak in "mandatory concealment" and the legislators stripped it out....Open carry is perfectly legal and will become more common place in CT in the years to come..

Not so sure about that. FLA has this and they get a good 30+ convictions per year out of it. I realize a lot of those are punk kids showing off but it may be calculated chance at trying to make ccw very unattractive while not making it completely illegal.

30 or so isn't a whole hell of a lot for a state the size of FL. My guess is that in FL enforcement is heavily discretionary.

-Mike

30 or so isn't a whole hell of a lot for a state the size of FL. My guess is that in FL enforcement is heavily discretionary.

-Mike

Yes, I have heard they go after the worst of the worst. But do you think that here in the PRM it would be 30? Even if it was just 30, that means that carrying around a gun becomes much more dangerous to liberty. If you can lose not only the carry right but become permanently DQd and lose your collection because someone thinks they saw a gun. They call the cops and if there is a gun there, you are screwed. Now that person could be a crusader and they could call the cops 100 times and eventually they will be right. Just because there is some sort of imprint, doesn't mean it was clear there was a gun there. But you can bet this will be written so broadly that no clear imprint will be needed Just a little bump, so long as there is a gun there, will be needed.

Laws like this have a chilling effect, especially when there are enough of these so called laws that a well intentioned and otherwise law abiding citizen could easily run afoul of it as a matter of chance.

So, does this mean they are encouraging OPEN CARRY? I am missing something here. I think Knuckle Dragger had it pretty close to being right. Oh, and does "full open" open carry not fall under this law?

So, does this mean they are encouraging OPEN CARRY? I am missing something here. I think Knuckle Dragger had it pretty close to being right. Oh, and does "full open" open carry not fall under this law?

It could be. In FL where the only statute I know of that prohibits open carry AND they actually arrest and convict people of imprint, they don't have open carry. Now, in CT OC is not illegal from what I know, but I suspect they know no one does it. But look at my other post, I am not saying KD is wrong, only that this would have a chilling effect on CCWrs because this goes further than FL which outlaws OC without defining it. The above can be used to say someone is in violation if you can tell it is a gun. That means more than open carry. That means if your shirt slips up, you violated this statute. Even if KD is right, and this is meant to go after true open carry, that doesn't preclude me being right that this could have a chilling effect on CCWrs if written too broadly.

sorry bout that..i am not sure about printing..I am not sure how many people in NY are even "granted" the right to carry concealed..

Actually, upstate NY you would be surprised, there are a few more than you would think. It is everything south and east of Binghamton where people are screwed over which means most of the population of NY.

Back
Top Bottom