• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

April 2023 - proposed laws in CT; Updated 05/07/2023

allen-1

NES Member
From an email list I'm subscribed to:

This is for all CT residents. The proposed new gun laws were voted out of committee and are now before the General Assembly. This is definitely the time to write to your CT Rep and express your opinions.

You can use this link to find your CT Rep and Senator:

https://www.cga.ct.gov/webapps/cgafyl.asp

When writing to your Rep, be polite and explain in your own words why you object to the proposed legislation. The CCDL folks have a good handle on how to write letters, and I have them on copy. Basically I try to illustrate why the proposed law does nothing to stop criminals (who are by definition "law breakers") and that it only hurts law abiding citizens. Ask if they will take your phone call so you can discuss your position.

Here is a quick breakdown of the most egregious of the laws currently before the CT House. Take a look at each individual proposal and write to your Rep letting them know your opinion.

Thanks

Bill Stewart

##################################################
HB 6667 - AN ACT ADDRESSING GUN VIOLENCE.

Section 1(a)(2) - no open carry

Section 1(a)(3) - illegal to carry firearm in any establishment licensed for on-premises alcohol consumption

Section 1(c) - each police unit must prepare and submit annual reports to Institute for Municipal and Regional Policy at The University of Connecticut anytime they stop someone who is openly carrying, to be reported to Governor and Gen Assembly once each year.

Section 2(29-36a) - no more "ghost guns" or 80 percent guns. 30 days after completion of firearm to register and obtain serial number. No longer "grandfathered" - all must be serialized and registered. Possession of any gun w/o serial number is illegal (except for certain antiques).

Section 3(29-33) - Can only purchase one pistol or revolver within 30 day period.

Section 4(a)(29-38) - if sell 10 or more firearms within a calendar year, must get CT permit to sell. FFL no longer enough. Must have FFL to get CT permit.

Section 11(b)(1) - must be 21 to purchase any long gun except in (2) below

Section 11(b)(2) - must be 21 or older to purchase any "semi-automatic centerfire rifle that has or accepts a magazine with a capacity exceeding five rounds"

Section 11(3) - "long guns" - must wait 11 days after receipt of auth number before taking possession

Section 15(d)(2) - all "assault weapons" banned, including "pre-ban". "Others" also now defined as "assault weapons". Owners of pre-bans and others will have to register them as "assault weapons" under the new law. No new purchases or transfers of "others" and "pre-bans."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDITED 05/07/2023 to add email I received recently:

(NEW) Legislative Update and Call to Action

As previously reported, the CT Governor's proposed "crime" bill (HB 6667) includes a cornucopia of anti-gun measures. This bill has passed out of the Judiciary Committee and is on the House floor and available to be called for a vote at any time. This is easily the most aggressive anti-gun bill we have seen in a decade.

We need all CT gun owners, and supporters of the 2nd Amendment to call their Connecticut Legislators (Representatives and Senators) and tell them that HB 6667 is another attempt to stop crime by going at the very people who are least likely to commit crimes with firearms.

If you don't know who your legislators are, or need to find contact information for them, use this link: https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/cgafindleg.asp

When you call, ask for a call-back to speak your legislator personally to assure that your message isn't simply written down by an aide and never seen.

Here are some of the provisions in HB6667:

· Prohibits Open carry

· Prohibits carry in ANY establishment permitted to serve alcohol

· Requires so-called "ghost guns", i.e. those manufactured between 1968 and 2019 without S/Ns to be declared and registered

· Limits transfers of handguns to 1/month

· Requires a 10 day waiting period for the transfer of any firearm

· Prohibits 18-21 year olds from purchasing any type of firearm

· Extends the safe storage of all firearms in the home, i.e. regardless of whether children are present

· Extends the Assault Weapon ban to include pre-94 and Others

· Changes the first possession of a Large Capacity Magazine from a misdemeanor to a felony

· Expands the list of disqualifying offenses for possessing a firearm

· Mandates additional educational requirements for the carry permit class, adds 2 hours of live-fire and 2 hours of instruction on CT laws

· Requires semi-automatic handguns manufactured after 1/1/2024 to be equipped with a loaded chamber indicator and magazine disconnect. This will all but eliminate access to new semi-automatic handguns going forward as very few have these two features.

Tom Maloney

email: [email protected]

Executive Board

Last edited:
Wow!!! This whole Northeast corridor has gone FULL RETARD since Bruen!! So now even if no children are present and are not even reasonably supposed to be in someone's house, it's illegal to not have a gun in safe storage?!? With what is happening in all these anti-gun loser states the Supreme Court has to step in and set it right. This is such an affront to what they ruled as the new law of the land that it should be piledriven immediately. If SCOTUS doesn't get involved soon then they are a weak joke

I wish there'd be a big national uproar/action about this as there has been four the CA and IL stuff. But I guess folks se CT as 'beyond saving'. If it does pass, I hope SCOTUS will indeed step in.

Last edited:
“The Constitution State”

Some of the bill’s major provisions include:

• Open carry: Bans the open carrying of firearms in public, while continuing to allow concealed carry with a permit.
  • High-risk repeat offenders: Increases bail, probation and parole responses for the extremely narrow group of people with repeated serious firearm offenses.
  • Ghost guns: Updates the state’s 2019 ban on unregistered “ghost guns” to include those that were assembled prior to the enactment of that ban. Those ghost guns must be registered with the state by January 1, 2024.
  • Bulk purchase of guns: Prevents the bulk purchasing of handguns to discourage straw purchases by barring the sale of more than three handguns to an individual in a 30-day period, or six handguns for an instructor. Law enforcement agencies, returns/exchanges, and transfers to a museum are exempted.
  • Gun dealer accountability: Increases gun dealer accountability by permitting the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection to issue a notice of violation and impose an order barring sales for any dealers violating any of their responsibilities.
  • Safe storage: Expands the state’s safe storage laws to all situations, not only those where a minor or prohibited person may gain access to a firearm.
  • Assault weapons ban: Closes loopholes in the state’s ban on assault weapons by including “other” firearms with banned features analogous to those on banned pistols and rifles and pre-September 13, 1994, “pre-ban” firearms that were carved out of the original ban. A new registration will open for these 2023 assault weapons. If purchased before the date of passage, these weapons can be registered until May 1, 2024. If registered, owners can continue possessing them but further transfers are generally barred.
  • Large-capacity magazine ban: Ensures enforceability of the state’s ban on large-capacity magazines by making possession a class D felony for prohibited persons and a class A misdemeanor for non-prohibited persons.
  • Underage purchases of guns: Expands the state’s existing prohibition on the retail sale of semiautomatic rifles with capacity greater than five rounds to anyone under the age of 21 to also include private sales.
  • Pistol permit training: Updates the training requirements for pistol permits and eligibility certificates to require instruction on safe storage, state firearms laws, and lawful use of firearms.
  • Domestic violence: Makes commission of a family violence crime or federal misdemeanor crime of domestic violence into an automatic disqualifier for having a pistol permit, and adds commission of such a crime after October 1, 2023, as a qualifier for criminal possession of a firearm.
  • Trigger locks: Requires all firearms, not just handguns, to be sold with a trigger lock.
  • Transport: Clarifies that all long guns, including ones categorized as “other,” must be carried unloaded in a vehicle.
  • Body armor: Requires anyone purchasing body armor to possess a pistol permit or eligibility certificate. This includes exemptions for certain law enforcement officers, state and judicial officials, and military personnel.
  • Permitting timelines: Creates a timeline for local authorities to act on the first stage of the pistol permitting process.

Looks like Connecticut's newest ultra-insane gun law package (yet another "post-Bruen temper tantrum" bill) did pass and was signed by the governor:

I don't see it specifically addressed in the bill, so if an up-to-date CT member can please tell me...

1) Do you need a license to buy a magazine in CT that holds 10 rounds or less?
2) Do you need a license to possess a magazine in CT that holds 10 rounds or less?

Looks like Connecticut's newest ultra-insane gun law package (yet another "post-Bruen temper tantrum" bill) did pass and was signed by the governor:

I don't see it specifically addressed in the bill, so if an up-to-date CT member can please tell me...

1) Do you need a license to buy a magazine in CT that holds 10 rounds or less?
2) Do you need a license to possess a magazine in CT that holds 10 rounds or less?

They did check my permit at Cabelas in Hartford last time I purchased a magazine. Not sure if its company policy or law. (edited to ad... "Or the incompetent idiots they hire at the registers.")

Last edited:
I only remember having to show my carry permit when buying ammo.

They did check my permit at Cabelas in Hartford last time I purchased a magazine. Not sure if its company policy or law. (edited to ad... "Or the incompetent idiots they hire at the registers.")
Thanks guys. With so many lefty states going 10 rounds or fewer, I'm finding that mag shopping for some of my older guns is becoming problematic. The usual online sources are out-of-stock. I thought I'd try some shops south of the border, but don't wish to be screwed by the new CT law. 🤔

Thanks guys. With so many lefty states going 10 rounds or fewer, I'm finding that mag shopping for some of my older guns is becoming problematic. The usual online sources are out-of-stock. I thought I'd try some shops south of the border, but don't wish to be screwed by the new CT law. 🤔

Not sure I understand what you're saying. To my knowledge there's no LAW in CT regarding the sale of magazines, other than by the capacity of the mag, (no std cap mags for sale legally).

Shops like Cabellas often ask you for a weapons permit when it's not legally required, it's the store's policy. And my personal experience has been that telling a clerk that it's not the law doesn't get you anywhere, because they're doing their job and following the procedures they believe they ought to. They're not likely to break procedure for you at the risk of being disciplined. So, you either provide your id when asked, or walk away.

f***ing Walmart's down here is a good source for the Winchester XXX .22 ammo I use in my Browning BuckMark. They require proof of age to purchase, and record my driver's license id number when/if I buy ammo. That's corporate BS not law. Analagous to proof of age when purchasing alcohol - provide it, but no record needs to be kept.

Back
Top Bottom