Proposal to come before Lexington Town Meeting

From GOAL:

Lexington Town Meeting Tomorrow Night - New Info!

April 5, 2016

Incredibly, it was recently revealed that the proponent of Article 34, Robert Rotberg was unaware of existing Massachusetts firearms law when composing his original by-law. Despite this embarrassing revelation, he is proceeding with his motion.

Tomorrow night, Lexington's town meeting members will be voting on Article 34, which is now a resolution asking that the town initiate a "discussion" on "gun violence".

While this may sound completely reasonable at first blush, reading the language of Article 34 tells a different story

RESOLVED that Town Meeting requests the Board of Selectmen to inform the Great and General Court of its concern that existing Massachusetts laws regarding assault weapons (M.G.L. c. 140, § 131M) may not sufficiently protect citizens of the Commonwealth, and Lexington. Town Meeting asks the Selectmen to initiate a town-wide discussion about assault weapons and gun violence that would lead to fully considered proposals (to be conveyed to the Great and General Court) for a strengthening of those laws.

The article asks for a discussion with a predisposed outcome. Furthermore, they want the discussion to be hosted by the League of Women Voters, a group that has testified on behalf of billionaire Michael Bloomberg's gun control groups numerous times at public hearings.

We are glad that Lexington's law abiding gun owners are no longer facing the possibility of being forced to make a very difficult decision regarding their legally owned property, however, this type of anti Second Amendment bigotry cannot be tolerated.

Please attend in support tomorrow night, if you are a Lexington resident please contact your Town Meeting Member and ask that they do not support this article.

Finally, if you do plan to attend tomorrow night, please read the information here before you go.

http://conta.cc/203Syld

Anti-gunners don't need to know existing law to know it's not anti-gun enough.

Good point, they're only interested in

images

Good point, they're only interested in

images

Exactly. You just can't have a reasonable discussion with these people. It's the same for just about any emotionally driven activist. Extreme environmentalists, for example, are always certain that we need stricter regulations, and regardless of the regulations we already have or how well or poorly they work. Or, for another example, Al Sharpton is never going to say that race relations are just fine, regardless of what anyone might do to appease him. Professional activists and emotionally driven actors in the political arena just keep pushing their agenda. And it's never about reaching a balanced or even ideal condition. It's about getting more of what they want -- always more. If anti-gun types got a national AWB they wouldn't stop. They wouldn't stop if they turned us into Australia or the UK. This is why they should never be allowed even an inch of success. Though, frankly, these silly and morally vain resolutions in Lincoln and Lexington are about as irrelevant as the local idiots voting for them.

if someone here went to create pro 2a legistlation in lexington and messed up the process as much as this guy, you would be laughed out of the town and it would hurt the cause. he will just try again later. For being an intelligent guy, he is not very smart.

if someone here went to create pro 2a legistlation in lexington and messed up the process as much as this guy, you would be laughed out of the town and it would hurt the cause. he will just try again later. For being an intelligent guy, he is not very smart.

The best thing would be to beat him to the punch by proposing a bylaw saying that state law trumps any more restrictive process.

Intelligent Guy---- NOT!!! Just because someone has a BS, MS, or PHD attached to their name doesn't make them "Intelligent" just shows that they spent too much time in school and not enough time getting an education. Oh, BS=Bullshit, MS=More Shit and PHD=Piled higher and Deeper.

Yup- these intellectuals reside in a tenured bubble protected by large endowments and trained clapping seals.

What is GOAL's source on Rotberg not knowing about MA gun laws?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/lextmma/cgIpHCLxWa4

Read through the above thread. A woman says: "When Robert Rotberg first proposed the article, I contacted him about the existing MA law banning assault weapons and high capacity magazines of which he and those he had spoken to in Town government seemed to be unaware."

He responded later to the thread, only offering up the woman's last name. He in no way challenged her assertion he was "unaware." I interpret that to be an acknowledgement she was telling the truth. If someone publicly described me as being unaware of something I was aware of, and I chose to participate in that conversation, I would make certain I set the record straight.

I'm hoping to catch the video of this event where our side throws out some zingers that get full crowd support. Rotberg needs to be publicly humiliated by the pro2A citizens of Lexington.

Intelligent Guy---- NOT!!! Just because someone has a BS, MS, or PHD attached to their name doesn't make them "Intelligent" just shows that they spent too much time in school and not enough time getting an education. Oh, BS=Bullshit, MS=More Shit and PHD=Piled higher and Deeper.
When I was a young parent in need of extra $$ (baby daughter had stomach problem, I needed extra scratch to buy a case of "special" baby formula that was only slightly cheaper than a case of Stoley or Chivas Regal), I worked at MIT part-time, sweeping floors, changing light bulbs etc..
At MIT, I met some of the most "brilliant" professors and fellowship students, but most of whom literally couldn't even figure out how to pop the hood on their Honda let alone check the oil in it. They're so incredibly narrow focused, literally friggin' genius in one specific field or endeavour, but overall complete and total boobs when it came to anything "real life"...
I was always fascinated by the US Space program, NASA etc as a kid, staying up late as an 8 year old and watching "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap..." and I was actually pretty thrilled in advance (or so I'd thought) to enter an office to fix a light switch or change a fluorescent bulb for some bowtied engineering PhD who'd helped to build Apollo 8 or 9 way back in the day...

And within about thirty seconds of meeting the Nutty Professor you'd realize two things as you're unscrewing the face plate on a wall socket: One, he's looking at your ass a little too long for a straight guy's comfort and two, this dude is absolutely batshit crazy whacked out, literally a dead-ringer for Gene Wilder in "Young Frankenstein" or whatever..

Last edited:
And within about thirty seconds of meeting the Nutty Professor you'd realize two things as you're unscrewing the face plate on a wall socket: One, he's looking at your ass a little too long for a straight guy's comfort and two, this dude is absolutely batshit crazy whacked out, literally a dead-ringer for Gene Wilder in "Young Frankenstein" or whatever..
Oh come off it you liked the attention or else you wouldn't have dressed the way you did! [laugh]

Facts don't matter to these nut jobs. How many murders are committed with a gun in MA every year? I would guess the number is very low. How many of those have ever been in Lexington? Again, near nil.

If it's true that Rotberg really didn't know about the existing Massachusetts firearms laws, then his entire proposal should be thrown out based on that fact alone, and he should be barred from bringing new proposals forward. Talk about wasting the time of hundreds of people for no reason whatsoever.
He's a retired Harvard Professor. I call BS!

Good luck to those going, and be careful someone doesn't pull a fast one.
Some of those sneaky SOB's have lots of time to study up on how to pull ends runs and cute tricks.

Any special place for non-residents to go?

How early is too early to show up?

Nevermind. Found our way. Non town meeting members use the door on the right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom