Prohibited Places and Times...

I am somewhat new to this board but I am seeing alot of new names too! Which is awesome perhaps something that might be good to toss out there for a reminder and also just edification to all in case they didn't know already, perhaps compile a list of prohibited places BY LAW that don't allow ccw? Not really talking about Macys or some dumb jewlers someone went too, I recall someone seeing a sign saying Gun free zone or some crap.

Figured getting this kind of knowledge out there would be good for everyone, course I am not a lawyer, and everyone who reads this thread should do their own MGL searching as well, but was thinking a good short list might be helpful!

Mods, if needed, catergorize and move as you see fit.

All federal property is generally off-limits (e.g., federal courts). Base commanders have broad authority to allow or prohibit most anything on their base. National Parks are off-limits, as are some part of National Forests (though not entirely).

In Massachusetts, the only places that are off-limits by statute are schools, including PreK-12, colleges and universities. This covers both public and private, including trade schools. Ancillary real estate and office buildings owned by universities but not used as schools are an open question. Courts and police stations are not off-limits per se, but most enforce some restrictions. Violation of those restrictions will generally get you arrested for criminal trespass. Signs designating parks, sports venues, stores, shopping centers, churches or any other place as off-limits carry absolutely no legal weight; all they can do is ask you to leave if you're detected carrying.

Ken

Thanks Ken!

I was thinking how bout post offices as well? Thats considered federal property as well yes? Because I have gone in plenty of times carrying, course I always select appropriate dress to maximize concealment. Appreciate the input as will many who review this thread!

(ahem come on guys, go ahead and leave some data.. doesnt hurt!) [grin]

Do a search here. Reading FED LAW (not the poster on the wall, but the actual USC referenced) says that if you are there for a "legal purpose" and your state does not prohibit it (some do, MA does not) you "should be" OK. Others warn that it's blatantly illegal! Guarantee that the average postal worker (including many Postmasters and most probably the Postal Inspectors Office) would say "illegal" just because the don't WANT anyone with a gun on their property (as opposed to what the law says).

PO carry has been discussed many times before. Here's the law one more time. Subsection D3 is the crucial part:

postofficebw.jpg

Thanks for the input!

Thanks Pilgrim and others!
I more or less carry everywhere because well, everywhere I go is for a lawful purpose so.... (i know ignorance is no excuse.... [rolleyes])
I usually carry in deep deep concealment, in fact I often wonder if its too deep... Like if i needed to get to it could I do so in time? maybe my holster needs some glide to it... Was thinking maybe some carbon-fiber style action I hear its not THAT hard to make.... Ill post some stuff if I get around to it. Figure that sucker could sell like hot cakes if I can make em easy enough...[smile]

Thanks Pilgrim and others!
I more or less carry everywhere because well, everywhere I go is for a lawful purpose so.... (i know ignorance is no excuse.... [rolleyes])
I usually carry in deep deep concealment, in fact I often wonder if its too deep... Like if i needed to get to it could I do so in time? maybe my holster needs some glide to it... Was thinking maybe some carbon-fiber style action I hear its not THAT hard to make.... Ill post some stuff if I get around to it. Figure that sucker could sell like hot cakes if I can make em easy enough...[smile]

practice > technology

Back
Top Bottom