Prepurchase info on Para P13

I have been researching .45 ACP for about a month. I have been trying to put as many in my hands as I can. I have narrowed it down to the Para P13. I found one used in a local shop for $575. My question is, does anyone know why I can't find any current info on this gun? Does Para still manufacture them? Does anyone know of any problems with them?

The specs I have been looking for are

Double stack frame
Smaller than a standard full frame, but larger than a sub or ultra compact
Real hammer
double/single action

I realize that the Para is a single action gun, but that is the one thing I am willing to compromise.

Feel free to let me know of any other .45 that may suit my needs.

I've got an early Para P14, which is a full-size gun.

The grip size is just a bit too big for me to be really comfortable with the gun (I've got medium to large sized hands). It's just a bit bigger than a standard 1911. Mine has not been terribly reliable or durable. I've had failures to feed, typically on the last round in the magazine. At one point, the hammer started following the slide, so I had to get a gunsmith to replace the hammer and sear (no, I had not done any home gunsmithing on the gun). In addition, the slide stop notch is wearing noticeably.

I'm not a fan of the sights. Nor am I a fan of the old-style thumb safety and old-style grip safety. I much prefer an extended thumb safety and beavertail grip safety.

So I'm not a fan of ParaOrdnance. Perhaps ParaOrd's Q/A has improved since I got my gun.

M1911 said:
I've got an early Para P14, which is a full-size gun.

The grip size is just a bit too big for me to be really comfortable with the gun (I've got medium to large sized hands). It's just a bit bigger than a standard 1911. Mine has not been terribly reliable or durable. I've had failures to feed, typically on the last round in the magazine. At one point, the hammer started following the slide, so I had to get a gunsmith to replace the hammer and sear (no, I had not done any home gunsmithing on the gun). In addition, the slide stop notch is wearing noticeably.

I'm not a fan of the sights. Nor am I a fan of the old-style thumb safety and old-style grip safety. I much prefer an extended thumb safety and beavertail grip safety.

So I'm not a fan of ParaOrdnance. Perhaps ParaOrd's Q/A has improved since I got my gun.

Yeah, I have heard that the springs on P14 clips respond well to an upgrade kit. I can't quite recall who made the kit though.

I have a friend that loves his P14, but he owns about 6 or 8 other .45's, and he carries a Springfield Ultra compact. I am just starting out, and need a mid range gun that is comfortable to shoot and small enough to carry because I can only afford one .45. I dont' like the size of a full sized 1911 frame.

cory ashe said:
Yeah, I have heard that the springs on P14 clips respond well to an upgrade kit. I can't quite recall who made the kit though.

I have a friend that loves his P14, but he owns about 6 or 8 other .45's, and he carries a Springfield Ultra compact. I am just starting out, and need a mid range gun that is comfortable to shoot and small enough to carry because I can only afford one .45. I dont' like the size of a full sized 1911 frame.

I love my Para's. I have a crapload of them. I think about 8 or so. I don't know for sure. But I've never had any problems with any of them...

Well, I have had one with one that I didn't know I was having issues with it, but a little work and I hear that it's good as new. But that was a P-12.45 LDA. But I think that the person that was testing it, was shooting overly hot loads. So I don't really blame the gun. I put 1000's of my reloads through the thing, and it was smooth. But then, I don't load really hot .45 rounds.

But, if it means anything, I have one P-13 that I love, and the only reason that I'm selling my P-12.45 LDA is to get a Tac-Four.

So, if you're interested in seeing a P-12.45, then let me know.

One other thing to consider. If you are buying this gun for CCW, 13+1 rounds of 45 ACP plus a steel frame == one freaking heavy gun.

cory ashe said:
The specs I have been looking for are

Double stack frame
Smaller than a standard full frame, but larger than a sub or ultra compact
Real hammer
double/single action

I realize that the Para is a single action gun, but that is the one thing I am willing to compromise.

Feel free to let me know of any other .45 that may suit my needs.

Have you looked at the HK USP compact .45? It seems to meet your specs.

CD

Back
Top Bottom