Prep of The Day Thread

I made another Sam's club run and got more rice and beans, 20lbs of each, plus canned meat, soap, and another plastic shelving unit to store it on in my basement. I got a nice tax refund, so turned that into 500 rounds of ammo, some gun parts, a small solar generator setup (60W panel and 240wh bank with an inverter), plus a few other goodies. Also trying to get ahead of any shortages and inflationary price increases, so I went ahead and got a new heat pump and water heater installed. The ones I had were probably 30 years old and on their last leg. I can still run my oil furnace on the generator.

Does anyone on here own a geiger counter? They don't seem to be every expensive and I think it might be a decent thing to own.
I have a nuke alert, which is $160 and measures constantly, it also measures the exposure levels you need to be worried about and tells you what your current exposure level is. Most cheap radiation meters only measure low background radiation and are pretty useless.

NukeAlert

Also need to pick a sealer - or just use a hair straightener?
If you're packaging food in mylar bags you'll need a vacuum sealer like the Food Saver AND a hair straightener. The vacuum sealer sucks the air out and the straightener seals the bag. The Food Saver comes with the hose you need. FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer Machine with Starter Vacuum Seal Bags & Rolls, Safety Certified, Black - FM2000-FFP Amazon product ASIN B01D5TMBE0View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D5TMBE0/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_G3X4V74Z26KE7DSH039W

Last edited:
What are you guys doing about your septic and waste systems? I still would like to well know you use my thrown in the morning and of course that that means I am going to flush with rain water or grey water if my well pump doesn't have power. But what about draining the septic system its self.
I have a couple of gas powered pumps and hose that connects to them but anything to know to help break it down.
Yes I have seen the inside of a septic system and know that there isn't to much heavy solids as most of it turns to a liquid as it breaks down over time, but I am looking for info on once it out and how to dispose of that brown liquid, dig a hole, or drain it into a small broke and let the down stream people worry about it.
I would use bucket /seat and sawdust/ shavings. When buckets 1/2 full dump in a hole in woods.
I won’t put sewage into a steam even in a Austere setting. Water borne illness is one of the main things people will be suffering from. I don’t want to contribute to that as I want To work together with my neighbors if possible.

Do anyone else have a recommendation as to best place to get quality mylar bags and 02 absorbers?

Also need to pick a sealer - or just use a hair straightener?
Pack Fresh USA and Wallaby’s. I’ve used my wife’s iron to do them. Put the bag in the 5 Gallon Pail. Fill the bag. Lay a 2x4 across the top of the pail. Lay the top of the bag over the 2x4 and iron it.
Update I ordered from Pack Fresh USA a week ago and still have no ship date. Ordered from Wallabys and got them in three days.

Last edited:
20% Off Nutrastore freeze dried when you sign up for emails. Free ship over $99. They still have #10 cans of diced or ground beef, chix, pork at a decent price for these days especially with the discount. You can try the code I received. Add it at time of payment. NUTRISTORE20

Does anyone on here own a geiger counter? They don't seem to be every expensive and I think it might be a decent thing to own.

Yes, I've got two of these.....They're not cheap but it's what the pros use. Same thing was carried by the FD in C2 vehicle. Bought mine several years ago @ about $600.00 each.

1646880873235.png Ludlum Model 3 with model 44-9 pancake probe. Works very well.

What are you guys doing about your septic and waste systems? I still would like to well know you use my thrown in the morning and of course that that means I am going to flush with rain water or grey water if my well pump doesn't have power. But what about draining the septic system its self.
I have a couple of gas powered pumps and hose that connects to them but anything to know to help break it down.
Yes I have seen the inside of a septic system and know that there isn't to much heavy solids as most of it turns to a liquid as it breaks down over time, but I am looking for info on once it out and how to dispose of that brown liquid, dig a hole, or drain it into a small broke and let the down stream people worry about it.
Pumping out a full tank of shit after shit hits the fan would suck a giant bag of dicks. I don’t thinks it’s an option unless you have a way to transport it far far away. And a store bought pump might have a tough go at pumping something that thick any distance. I’d be putting solids in a bucket, save the tank for liquids and emergency blows.

Can’t live with out water… after the stored water is all gone, I plan to use at least a double filter system — if tap water is available. If no municipal water supply, then this may come in handy in addition to regular filtration…

Can’t live with out water… after the stored water is all gone, I plan to use at least a double filter system — if tap water is available. If no municipal water supply, then this may come in handy in addition to regular filtration…

I was wondering about that. What about food?

I was wondering about that. What about food?

I typically keep a small garden to supplement store-bought veggies.
Other than my traditional food storage (refrigerator/pantry ->canned goods & rice/beans -> Mountain House meals-> MREs) as my primary staple, I plan to grow a few tomato plants in buckets this year just in case so I can bring them inside if needed.

Any gardens will be radiological contaminated — including the soil until time-effects and precipitation diminish the levels down to background. I already compost to diminish waste and provide nutrients back into the soil, but it’s going to take a while to build up enough compost again.

In another thread (or maybe this one back a couple pages) someone was discussing cleaning a septic tank post-SHTF and someone suggested using a bucket with saw dust for feces — I keep one of those large landscaping bags of peat moss on hand for that purpose. If needed, I could use some of that peat moss to help bulk up the compost to grow some food as well.

Anyways, that was kinda my plan — curious to hear other’s thoughts…

I typically keep a small garden to supplement store-bought veggies.
Other than my traditional food storage (refrigerator/pantry ->canned goods & rice/beans -> Mountain House meals-> MREs) as my primary staple, I plan to grow a few tomato plants in buckets this year just in case so I can bring them inside if needed.

Any gardens will be radiological contaminated — including the soil until time-effects and precipitation diminish the levels down to background. I already compost to diminish waste and provide nutrients back into the soil, but it’s going to take a while to build up enough compost again.

In another thread (or maybe this one back a couple pages) someone was discussing cleaning a septic tank post-SHTF and someone suggested using a bucket with saw dust for feces — I keep one of those large landscaping bags of peat moss on hand for that purpose. If needed, I could use some of that peat moss to help bulk up the compost to grow some food as well.

Anyways, that was kinda my plan — curious to hear other’s thoughts…
Regarding potential radiation though. How do you protect food stores? There's no way to "filter" food. Right?

20% Off Nutrastore freeze dried when you sign up for emails. Free ship over $99. They still have #10 cans of diced or ground beef, chix, pork at a decent price for these days especially with the discount. You can try the code I received. Add it at time of payment. NUTRISTORE20

Thanks. Coupon code worked.

Regarding potential radiation though. How do you protect food stores? There's no way to "filter" food. Right?
It has to be stored in a dust-tight enclosure (bucket/bag/factory packaging mainly). What you are worried about it is contamination with radioactive dust particles, mainly alpha emitters. Irradiation (within reason) doesn't hurt food, but if it gets contaminated with radionuclides (the aforementioned radioactive dust) it's bad and you should not use it (I guess if you let it decay out it's probably ok). One of the most abundant radionuclides after a nuclear war or power plant meltdown is iodine-131, which is why everyone is always panic-buying potassium iodide when there is danger of some kind of nuclear event. The iodine in those pills or liquid basically saturates your thyroid, keeping it from absorbing radioactive iodine 131. Thankfully most radionuclides have a short half-life and decay out after a few hours/weeks/months. So keep your food storage sealed except when you are using it and you should be OK.

It’s not about “filtering” it’s about shielding…

Actually, I was surprised with how little protection a conventional timber frame house provides against radiation… keeping food stores in a basement with cast-in-place poured concrete foundation walls will help provide the best shielding for people, pets, food, and anything else… there is still the potential for high-dose radiation exposure, so it’s a matter of setting yourself up best for survival —

View: https://youtu.be/ud-1UN4z0Y8

View: https://youtu.be/AdGwUyOJeTo

Those are great vids!
It’s not about “filtering” it’s about shielding…

Actually, I was surprised with how little protection a conventional timber frame house provides against radiation… keeping food stores in a basement with cast-in-place poured concrete foundation walls will help provide the best shielding for people, pets, food, and anything else… there is still the potential for high-dose radiation exposure, so it’s a matter of setting yourself up best for survival —

View: https://youtu.be/ud-1UN4z0Y8

View: https://youtu.be/AdGwUyOJeTo

@BarnBuilder,

Found a current 20% OFF Coupon to SeedsNow!

Feel free...
~Enbloc

20FUEMX22

expires 12/31/2022

Thanks @enbloc ive been on the fence all week on placing an order… I checked back this evening and they are offering 25% off and a free packet of cucumber seeds. Coupon code auto applied to my shopping cart.

E1D03D2A-EFFC-485F-809C-101FCFB487E6.png

That works too. The only issue is if there are pantry moth eggs in the rice then they will hatch out in the jars. I have all of my long term stored rice in mylar bags with 02 absorbers. You can try dry canning to hopefully kill the eggs and get a vacuum seal.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIS44IKccbo

Bay leaves on top of the dry staples prevent the moths from hatching. Been doing this since I woke up in 1992.

Do you guys see a difference in production based on where you buy your seeds? My experience has been hit or miss buying from big box or Ocean State..some years good, some years not so good. I know there are a million other variables, just wondering if there is a consensus.

Do you guys see a difference in production based on where you buy your seeds? My experience has been hit or miss buying from big box or Ocean State..some years good, some years not so good. I know there are a million other variables, just wondering if there is a consensus.
I'll only buy seeds at a Box store if it's I variety that is out of stock at the goo on-line shops...

If you do buy from an Ocean State or any box store just make sure the seed pack has the current year it was packaged for printed on it. As they go beyond that date they may drop off on viability depending on the plant or the seed company...

Back
Top Bottom