Prep of The Day Thread

Do you guys see a difference in production based on where you buy your seeds? My experience has been hit or miss buying from big box or Ocean State..some years good, some years not so good. I know there are a million other variables, just wondering if there is a consensus.
Yes. I have bought seeds from Agway (i don't live near box stores) and the results sure vary. I'll buy the basics like squash and cukes to add variety to the garden.
Get into seed saving. You will be glad you did. I only started saving seeds again a couple of years ago. My dad and grandparents saved seeds and always had great results.

4 cords of wood delivered. Need to go buy some tarps tomorrow because snow/ice coming.

What's it going for a cord there?

I just spent $45 to fill my dump trailer with solid oak blocks, most of them are 5x8x36 long from a pallet mill. This is real PRIME burning stuff. Probably go for another load this week. One cut to length and split them. I stacked a 4x4 pallet of them 8 tiers high and the tractor really feels the weight....it's still a bit green.

Last edited:
4 cords of wood delivered. Need to go buy some tarps tomorrow because snow/ice coming.
Cover loosely. Maybe tie down at grommets with bricks, so wind can get under. Otherwise, it will just trap moisture and cause mushroom, mold, and damp rotten wood.

What's it going for a cord there?

I just spent $45 to fill my dump trailer with solid oak blocks, most of them are 5x8x36 long from a pallet mill. This is real PRIME burning stuff. Probably go for another load this week. One cut lengthwise and split them. I stacked a 4x4 pallet of them 8 tiers high and the tractor really feels the weight....it's still a bit green.
Be careful. I think they treat that wood with chemicals for bugs and stuff. Maybe you can ask the company. Otherwise, sounds awesome.

I dropped by the Bishop's Pantry in Worcester this morning and picked up some rice, beans and oats. I had bought from them online many moons ago when I lived in NC, but this was the first time buying food in person. They want you to fill an order form with what you want and write your name at the top once you get there, although I printed if form here and took it with me:

https://providentliving.churchofjes...orage-Center/US HSC Pricing 2022.pdf?lang=eng

There is a line for boxes but when you get a whole case (6 cans) it comes with a box.

Cover loosely. Maybe tie down at grommets with bricks, so wind can get under. Otherwise, it will just trap moisture and cause mushroom, mold, and damp rotten wood.

Be careful. I think they treat that wood with chemicals for bugs and stuff. Maybe you can ask the company. Otherwise, sounds awesome.

I will ask, but I don't think it is treated.

This stuff is cutoffs from custom pallets that the company makes, and people have been burning it for decades.

I have never heard of dry canning. It certainly makes sense. What is the shelf life of dry canned goods?

Thanks,

Bob
I’ve been putting rice or beans into airtight pet food containers with an O-ring seal. Throw a couple of bay leaves on top, you should be good for years. I used to use nitrogen to displace the air in tubes but this is just as effective and way cheaper.

View: https://youtu.be/6Cz-6ji9rMc

Just put another 8 quart batch of Kimchi in the fridge. [smile] [cheers]

After putting it in jars, I leave it at room temp for three days until the fermentation starts then refrigerate. To think I was paying almost $4.50 a pint a few years ago. I did save all the glass jars though so there's about a dollar "rebate' and those are what I use for canning relish. The jars take the standard Ball lid and canning jars are/have been getting very expensive the past couple of years.

I ordered 20 more 5gal screw top pails from Uline. I had to buy red ones because they were out of white. That's the first time I've ever seen that happen.
I saw it happen years ago but not lately. Must be a lot of last minute people putting food away. Man the screw tops are getting EXPENSIVE!!!

I’ve been putting rice or beans into airtight pet food containers with an O-ring seal. Throw a couple of bay leaves on top, you should be good for years. I used to use nitrogen to displace the air in tubes but this is just as effective and way cheaper.

View: https://youtu.be/6Cz-6ji9rMc

I'd like to do that but can't figure a good way to get the oily residue off the inside of the bag. Short of hand washing it out anyway.
Which seems like a diminishing return type of thing.

I saw it happen years ago but not lately. Must be a lot of last minute people putting food away. Man the screw tops are getting EXPENSIVE!!!

Yeah $15.50 per when you buy more than 10. But regular HD and Lowes buckets are also up sharply. It's $7.50 for a paint pail with lid from them.

The Ulines having screw lids, neoprene seals, comfortable/strong handles and being stackable (they nestle base inset into the lid) makes it worth it to me to spend the extra money.

I recently picked up a few food grade buckets from Tractor Supply - they told me they have no lids, corporate doesn't send them any. So I bought some orange lids at Home Depot. I figure since the food I'm putting in is separately packaged it's ok.

Just picked up another 10lb bag of rice. I plan to put it in some cleaned and dried Arizona tea bottles with a couple bay leaves. Will do the same for the rest of my rice.

I didn't put bay leaves in with my rice but it has oxygen absorbers in mylar bags sealed, will that be ok? Do I need to put them in a freezer for a bit? thanks

I got a bunch of buckets and too many lids so I'll have extra if I need more buckets, from epackagesupply dot com

I didn't put bay leaves in with my rice but it has oxygen absorbers in mylar bags sealed, will that be ok? Do I need to put them in a freezer for a bit? thanks

I got a bunch of buckets and too many lids so I'll have extra if I need more buckets, from epackagesupply dot com
That’s a good question. I don’t know if freezing it now would destroy the integrity of the packaging.

Wait, so you guys are buying rice, then putting them into iced tea bottles, with bay leaves? Am I getting that right? This is because the bags don't last over time?

I learned on another website that the Arizona bottles are made of plastic that won't leach over time. They can be used to store water or food. If you use them for water you should put a few drops of bleach in it (I forget the exact number, maybe 3). I think that we were told a few posts ago that rice needs to be repackaged for long term storage. And people often put an oxygen absorber in with their food, but another NES member said he uses a couple of bay leaves - the goal is to prevent bugs. Or maybe the oxygen absorbers are to prevent moisture? I googled rice and bay leaves, and it seems to be a common practice to prevent bugs.

Last edited:
I learned on another website that the Arizona bottles are made of plastic that won't leach over time. They can be used to store water or food. If you use them for water you should put a few drops of bleach in it (I forget the exact number, maybe 3). I think that we were told a few posts ago that rice needs to be repackaged for long term storage. And people often put an oxygen absorber in with their food, but another NES member said he uses a couple of bay leaves - the goal is to prevent bugs. I googled rice and bay leaves, and it seems to be a common practice to prevent bugs.

Plastic is not a 02 blocker. That's why we use mylar. If you keep food in a plastic bottle or bucket by itself, it will rot. Oxygen can go right through the plastic over time.

Plastic is not a 02 blocker. That's why we use mylar. If you keep food in a plastic bottle or bucket by itself, it will rot. Oxygen can go right through the plastic over time.
I rotate my stock because I only put away things that I eat regularly. Honestly, I don't need things to last 30 years. 3 years fills the bill pretty well for me...

Also, If you have never tried it, a bay leaf in the boiling water with a little salt and cracked black pepper makes the rice taste phenomenal...

Bay leaf fan here. I recently discovered the magic of the lowly bay leaf, and thyme.
I also use bay leaf in my dry bean recipes. Really nice with kidney, pinto and Roman beans.

I've been using Badia for years now and the quality and flavor of these leaves are exceptional. They're usually near the Goya products at Market Basket...

1647145618957.png

I also use bay leaf in my dry bean recipes. Really nice with kidney, pinto and Roman beans.

I've been using Badia for years now and the quality and flavor of these leaves are exceptional...

View attachment 589580
Badia has whole fresh nutmeg, which is a complete game changer when zested into recipes. Great brand not expensive.

Back
Top Bottom