• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

Oh, those. I've tasted both Mainstay and Datrex brand. They're fine. Similar to a Lorna Doone but bigger and drier. I've posted about them a few times over the years. Not what I'd call luxury treats but they pack plenty of calories and are supposed to not be thirst-inducing. And they last a decently long time: I keep some in my car.

Oh, those. I've tasted both Mainstay and Datrex brand. They're fine. Similar to a Lorna Doone but bigger and drier. I've posted about them a few times over the years. Not what I'd call luxury treats but they pack plenty of calories and are supposed to not be thirst-inducing. And they last a decently long time: I keep some in my car.
Thats funny because everytime i eat a Lorna doone im always thinking "i wish this were drier"

Got my off the grid stove all hooked up today and it runs great.
Still need to adjust the flame on one burner maybe two and clean the top flame manifolds but it works.
Oven works great the thermostat and gas bulb are all working like they should and cycles at any temp. Is the temp on or off, that I will have to check once I get a better oven temp gauge.

The secret to the duel fuel set up is air channels need to be mostly open and behind the valve is a 1/2 nut, you need to mostly tighten the nut backwards toward the valve.
Once I did that the stove was cooking with a good blue flame and no gold tips.
Same deal for the gas log inside the oven, need to tighten the orifice down till it almost stops.
Does the gas log have a vent that needs to be vented to a chimney?

Does the gas log have a vent that needs to be vented to a chimney?
Not that I'm aware of, it could of had a vent over the hood when original installed buy the lady I got it from used it for a back up stove in her basement.
I plan on using it in a well vented area of the house, trust me.

Not that I'm aware of, it could of had a vent over the hood when original installed buy the lady I got it from used it for a back up stove in her basement.
I plan on using it in a well vented area of the house, trust me.
When I purchased my 3 family, one of the smaller apartments was heated with a stove that had a gas log.
It was the only stove I've seen that had a 4" vent pipe going into the chimney.

When I purchased my 3 family, one of the smaller apartments was heated with a stove that had a gas log.
It was the only stove I've seen that had a 4" vent pipe going into the chimney.
True, when we lived in Worc we had a gas stove with a parlor heater in it, it was vented out to.
Again this will be used in my house in the event of a major power loss but with air moving in.

That's the one thing we don't buy, the bars. Not sure why we don't. Probably because I always think of those 3600 calorie bars, and those look a little off to me.

That's the one thing we don't buy, the bars. Not sure why we don't. Probably because I always think of those 3600 calorie bars, and those look a little off to me.
That type of prep is a niche thing. I like having something to leave in the car that I don't have to worry about swapping out for at least 5 years. Lifeboat rations are not nutritious, they're short term calories to keep you going for a day or two. That they taste okay is all I ask, no need for fancy.

That type of prep is a niche thing. I like having something to leave in the car that I don't have to worry about swapping out for at least 5 years. Lifeboat rations are not nutritious, they're short term calories to keep you going for a day or two. That they taste okay is all I ask, no need for fancy.
I keep a few of these in our GHB's with home made beef jerky.

Thanks for the reminder; it is time to rotate out the ammo, flashlights/batteries ibuprofen/tyloenol and the foodsaver'd jerky in my GHB's.

Swapped out some old (10 yrs) night sights back to the factory sites. Reorganizing my stuff, truly glad I have what I have and not starting out.

I feel that these sort of threads are counter productive simply because this subject matter should probably be conceptual. I dont think it much matters what you did or what I did today in regards to "preps". I can tell you that I bought a 48 pack of AA lithium batteries but what does that really do for you?

If you really want to be productive. Break down several survival related considerations like.. Food/Water, Shelter, Fire, Light, Power, Medical, Utility, Defense, Mobility/fuel, Communication, Bushcraft. Then have a conceptual discussion about your what you are trying to do, why, how you plan to achieve your goals, , what is your checklist of goals, what is your current status, what is the timeframe involved and what is the cost?

-or-

Just tell us every couple of days that you have bought a can of beans and some kite string.

You've been a (guest) member of this forum for all of a month. You hop on and criticize a long standing thread??? Maybe we're not the right venue for you.

The past few days I filled four 5gal gas cans with non ethanol gasoline, bought garden seeds, 10lbs of Roma bean seeds, tomato seeds ( two types, Rutgers and Golden Jubilee low acid ), kale, collards, zucchini, turnips, pickling cukes, two types of beets and cabbage.
Cleaned out, amended, fertilized and tilled my large garden, amended my smaller garden with two loader buckets of 3yr old compost, cleaned off my gardening table and got seedling pots ready for planting.

Added another case of canned stewed tomatoes and case of canned collards to the shelf.

Loaded 300 .223 with 62gr SS109 over WC844. Heading over to GIbrass in Owensboro KY on Thursday to pick up a few 8lb jugs of BR-5 pistol powder. Very versatile and close to Unique (uses Unique data according to Jeff Bartlett.) Gas to and from will be cheaper than hazmat and shipping plus I'll be stopping at Kentucky Gun Company on the way home to check out what they have to offer for products.

Just delinked another new can of Lake City .50bmg.

Last edited:
Damn man nice work!

I went shopping and stacked some more food stores Sat.

We're tapping maple trees tomorrow. A little late for NH with the weather recently but my travel and other projects kept getting in way. I would normally tap right at the end of 3rd week of Feb and just let the cans sit. I'm sure we'll still get 2 gallons from the handful of trees though.

I need to load more 223 this week....

Just bought 1 case of canned beef chunks and 1 case of canned ground beef, 10% off plus free shipping with coupon code YODERS10. Promo ends today.

They advertise 10 year shelf life with these and say it totals 21lbs of beef per case, not too bad for the price especially since I expect the price of beef to jump pretty significantly.

Just bought 1 case of canned beef chunks and 1 case of canned ground beef, 10% off plus free shipping with coupon code YODERS10. Promo ends today.

They advertise 10 year shelf life with these and say it totals 21lbs of beef per case, not too bad for the price especially since I expect the price of beef to jump pretty significantly.

Thanks! just ordered a case of Ground Beef !

I feel that these sort of threads are counter productive simply because this subject matter should probably be conceptual. I dont think it much matters what you did or what I did today in regards to "preps". I can tell you that I bought a 48 pack of AA lithium batteries but what does that really do for you?

If you really want to be productive. Break down several survival related considerations like.. Food/Water, Shelter, Fire, Light, Power, Medical, Utility, Defense, Mobility/fuel, Communication, Bushcraft. Then have a conceptual discussion about your what you are trying to do, why, how you plan to achieve your goals, , what is your checklist of goals, what is your current status, what is the timeframe involved and what is the cost?

-or-

Just tell us every couple of days that you have bought a can of beans and some kite string.
Thanks for the reminder--gotta buy some marijuana seeds to plant next month. Y'know, for bartering purposes.

Thanks! just ordered a case of Ground Beef !
Have either of you actually(or know of folks who've) tried their products or is this just a case of acquiring more supplies? Just curious on the quality/flavor of their products.

My wife and I had a can of Keystone ground beef that we bought IIRC in early '19 with a box of Kraft mac & cheese at least 3 years old for supper last night. Both were just fine.
I don't expect any issues with Yoders, they've got an excellent reputation. We buy cased goods to add to our home canned food. At any given time we might have anywhere from three months to close to a year of food supplies set aside. We eat what we store and store what we eat. Everything gets rotated. It's come in handy more than once. Just for clarity, we don't exist eating canned food every day, but we're not going to let things sit long enough to where they would be unpalatable or unsafe.

Have either of you actually(or know of folks who've) tried their products or is this just a case of acquiring more supplies? Just curious on the quality/flavor of their products.

Yoder's can bacon is goood.

X2, I've only had the bacon but it was good so I went off that. But mostly for me it's just acquiring more supplies at the current cost to hedge against the future cost. The agenda to ban meat is already in full force and despite my best efforts I'm not that great of a hunter yet so rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Bought a trailer load of sawn firewood ( end cuts of 6x6, 4x6 ) mostly 12-18-20 inches long from a custom pallet mill. About half oak and half poplar. For $50 a load......just stand and watch the guy load it into my dump trailer.

Made another batch of Kimchi, 7qts, 1 half gallon, 1 pint.

Weeded a couple of portable garden beds and fertized some kale plants that have survived and thrived through the whole winter.

Back
Top Bottom