• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

added another #10 can of mountain house to our supplies. Got a nice patagonia backpack for free, gonna make it my new 72hr/get home bag.

should I buy a #10 can and open it to put in individual vac pack bags, and will it last long in vac pack bags ?
Uhm no those cans are for long term storage for bugging in. Don't open them unless it's go time. If you want portable food buy the pouches of mountain house designed for backpacking. The only way to split up a #10 can would be with mylar bags and oxygen absorbers, kind of pointless when you can buy it already portioned and packaged like that.

So we packed a huge 25lb bag of jasmine rice today into 4.5-5lb mylar bags. The first two bags of flour we did one seems to have more air in it. Not sure if it's because of only one o2 absorber or we just didn't squeeze out enough. How will that affect storage?

So we packed a huge 25lb bag of jasmine rice today into 4.5-5lb mylar bags. The first two bags of flour we did one seems to have more air in it. Not sure if it's because of only one o2 absorber or we just didn't squeeze out enough. How will that affect storage?
rice and flour keeps very well and for a very long time I wouldn't stress too much. store the mylar bags in 5 gallon buckets. it protects the bags and it gives you something with a lid to dump them into when they get used.

Check this out

View: https://youtu.be/B6SFyGmWTIQ

I created this thread a long time ago for *personal* experiences only. I put some stuff aside in 2010-2013 that was specifically for verifying myself what lasts and what doesn't.

I post in there when I open stuff. I just ate some 2010 Cambells Chicken Noodle soup. My goal is not to just buy stuff and let it sit forever. I do FIFO the most of my stuff. But I also want to know what works and what doesn't.

Please don't shit up that thread with outside, unverified data. Its for what NES people experience first hand only.

I've got the buckets but honestly never thought about emptying the mylar into them. In each bucket I plan to have a variety of rice, beans,flour etc. May need to look into smaller kitchen containers for when I use this stuff!

Last edited:
I managed to cut up 11 pounds of lamb roasts for canning, and still have all my fingertips. Filled 10 pint ball jars. I cut the lamb into bite size pieces and added diced red onion, dried rosemary and dried garlic bits in with layers of meat. This is my favorite meat for home canning. Lamb retains its texture beautiful and when processed with previously mentioned spices taste wonderful !

On the down side as I was rotating jars canned in '16 I found one can with a failed lid. Pretty good considering how many jars we've processed since then. Of course we discarded the contents. Not taking chances. still have more than 2 dozen pints of lamb in the pantry as well as pork loin, turkey & chicken. I really need to do a detailed inventory.

Cheap flashlights for reg home use. I just bought a bunch of these. The price is insanely low. They come with (4) 3000mAh 18650 Batts (only uses one at a time) and a AAA conversion cylinder. Adjustable beam.

Amazon product ASIN B0854G7VXFView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0854G7VXF/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_i_dlC_BMpaGb9DKFQKH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You'll need a charger for the batts. Also cheap.

Amazon product ASIN B0721JP6FKView: https://www.amazon.com/Intelligent-Snado-Universal-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B0721JP6FK/ref=pd_aw_fbt_img_2/137-2354551-3098849?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0721JP6FK&pd_rd_r=9b9bb1c4-9c3c-4b2a-8ec1-d0494df1cd0d&pd_rd_w=VDxld&pd_rd_wg=m70Zt&pf_rd_p=8ad921d8-8b3b-4c8e-be01-c425a146feba&pf_rd_r=4MBZBCJ2QCZSKJTNG4DC&psc=1&refRID=4MBZBCJ2QCZSKJTNG4DC

While I do have some very expensive lights, things like this make perfect car stash lights, power outage lights for kids, etc.

20210114_210119.jpg
20210114_210143.jpg

Hard to beat at $17 delivered for light with batts.

I just picked up a 4-pack of Scepter Water containers. Home depot has them at best price/unit I have been able to find anywhere.

That comes up as $160 for me. Amazon has them cheaper just not as cool looking.

I just picked up a small Glenwood LP gas stove, pulled it from a lady's basement, Its all there and in good shape. Runs on LP or city gas without changing the orifice just need to adjust the fuel/air inlet. Missing the regulator and need to run some new inlet piping, but should work great as a second or back up stove on LP tanks.
I will get some pics soon, once I clean it up a little more.

Bagged up some pinto beans and lentils. Brings me to 10lbs pinto beans,4lbs lentils,20 lbs jasmine rice and 10lbs flour. My goal is to have a month or so of food in long term storage and a constantly well stocked pantry.

Got my off the grid stove all hooked up today and it runs great.
Still need to adjust the flame on one burner maybe two and clean the top flame manifolds but it works.
Oven works great the thermostat and gas bulb are all working like they should and cycles at any temp. Is the temp on or off, that I will have to check once I get a better oven temp gauge.

The secret to the duel fuel set up is air channels need to be mostly open and behind the valve is a 1/2 nut, you need to mostly tighten the nut backwards toward the valve.
Once I did that the stove was cooking with a good blue flame and no gold tips.
Same deal for the gas log inside the oven, need to tighten the orifice down till it almost stops.

Attachments

• KIMG2660.JPG
    KIMG2660.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 14
  • KIMG2659.JPG
    KIMG2659.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 14
  • KIMG2658.JPG
    KIMG2658.JPG
    288.8 KB · Views: 14
I feel that these sort of threads are counter productive simply because this subject matter should probably be conceptual. I dont think it much matters what you did or what I did today in regards to "preps". I can tell you that I bought a 48 pack of AA lithium batteries but what does that really do for you?

If you really want to be productive. Break down several survival related considerations like.. Food/Water, Shelter, Fire, Light, Power, Medical, Utility, Defense, Mobility/fuel, Communication, Bushcraft. Then have a conceptual discussion about your what you are trying to do, why, how you plan to achieve your goals, , what is your checklist of goals, what is your current status, what is the timeframe involved and what is the cost?

-or-

Just tell us every couple of days that you have bought a can of beans and some kite string.

I feel that these sort of threads are counter productive simply because this subject matter should probably be conceptual. I dont think it much matters what you did or what I did today in regards to "preps". I can tell you that I bought a 48 pack of AA lithium batteries but what does that really do for you?

If you really want to be productive. Break down several survival related considerations like.. Food/Water, Shelter, Fire, Light, Power, Medical, Utility, Defense, Mobility/fuel, Communication, Bushcraft. Then have a conceptual discussion about your what you are trying to do, why, how you plan to achieve your goals, , what is your checklist of goals, what is your current status, what is the timeframe involved and what is the cost?

-or-

Just tell us every couple of days that you have bought a can of beans and some kite string.

You currently have freedom of choice. If you don't find a particular thread worthy of your time you can stay out of it. Or feel free to create the types of threads with topics you're interested in. Bitching about it is also counter productive.

Some of these posts give others ideas of projects. A lot of people have seen what others are doing and get motivated. It's a good place to ask questions if someone has done a project you would like to do.

-or-

I think if you read threw this thread and many like it you find all that you talked about is covered. And I agree with cowgirlup, if it helps just a few to be more off the grid/radar and it puts others on a path to be more self sufficient then what harm is it.

Plus what you said is spoken like a true non prepper, so welcome to NES if ya got nothing to say go dump your crap in another thread or start your own.......Maria.

If people need cheap wheat, go to Blue Seal and get a 50lb bag of wheat berries, put it in air tight containers and it'll last pretty much forever. We ground up some wheat from probably 8-9 years ago this past summer during the 'Rona shortages, it was perfectly fine. You need to sort the junk out of it as it's not super clean but it's cheap, available and stores well.

I think if you read threw this thread and many like it you find all that you talked about is covered. And I agree with cowgirlup, if it helps just a few to be more off the grid/radar and it puts others on a path to be more self sufficient then what harm is it.

Plus what you said is spoken like a true non prepper, so welcome to NES if ya got nothing to say go dump your crap in another thread or start your own.......Maria.

I will take another look but I do not recall seeing anything conceptual.

Maybe I am not a prepper but I have lived in the rural South all my life. I have not always had electricity, running water or other common luxuries of the civilized world. We grow most of our own food, we hunt, fish and travel into town every 6 weeks for additional supplies. If some calamity suddenly denied us all basic services and societal resources, I feel confident that my family could life life rather normally for about 3 months.

People do not use the term "prepper" around here.. we just live the way we have always lived in the sparsely populated hills and valleys where self reliance is a way of life.

Perhaps I can rehabilitate my previous offering my simply saying that I bought a case of DAK ham today and replaced a leaking 50 gallon water barrel.

Last edited:
I will take another look but I do not recall seeing anything conceptual.

Maybe I am not a prepper but I have lived in the rural South all my life. I have not always had electricity, running water or other common luxuries of the civilized world. We grow most of our own food, we hunt, fish and travel into town every 6 weeks for additional supplies. If some calamity suddenly denied us all basic services and societal resources, I feel confident that my family could life life rather normally for about 3 months.

People do not use the term "prepper" around here.. we just live the way we have always lived in the sparsely populated hills and valleys where self reliance is a way of life.

Perhaps I can rehabilitate my previous offering my simply saying that I bought a case of DAK ham today and replaced a leaking 50 gallon water barrel.

I'm trying to imagine your post with a Southern drawl but I just can't. Could you throw a ya'll in there or mention grits?
Also, a case of DAK is awesome. There was a shortage so you are GTG. See? How hard was that. LOL

Back
Top Bottom