• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

Disassembled, replaced parts and regasketed my Vermont Castings Defiant Encore this weekend. It had been overfired due to an air leak, warped the flue

VC parts are expensive. Like over $900 for a flue assembly, shoe gasket and 'fountain' refractory behind the fireback with door gasket.

Not complicated, just time consuming to scrape out old gasket cement.

The result is longer burns, and better control of heat output.

Before:

IMG_8672.jpg
After
IMG_8686.jpg

Got my solar project almost finished.

It has been an odyssey.

24 335w panels, about 8kW.

48V batteries.

It's currently powering my critical loads subpanel with heat, lights, refrigeration and well. IMG_8740.jpg IMG_8741.jpg IMG_8737.jpg IMG_8738.jpg IMG_8739.jpg

Payback period on it at my current consumption level is...never.

But if the grid goes down - short term, or long - I can cover the critical loads.

Still to do....wire MEP-002a to charge the batteries through the Rv-50 and panel interlock

Got my solar project almost finished.

It has been an odyssey.

24 335w panels, about 8kW.

48V batteries.

It's currently powering my critical loads subpanel with heat, lights, refrigeration and well.View attachment 428158View attachment 428159View attachment 428160View attachment 428161View attachment 428162

Payback period on it at my current consumption level is...never.

But if the grid goes down - short term, or long - I can cover the critical loads.

Still to do....wire MEP-002a to charge the batteries through the Rv-50 and panel interlock

What is on those racks?

I would of had a hard time poking holes in that metal roof, hope it works out for you.

Spent a little more to not have that happen. Iron ridge high wind racking and the racking feet clamp to the seams on the roof,
There is not a single penetration of the roof from this project.

Last edited:
Any reason you didn't ground mount instead to allow for easier/more frequent cleaning? I'd personally never roof mount because of this.

exposure. there's literally a mountain behind the house, this got the best exposure. Line losses from PV get high very fast when you get too far from your inverters. I am exploring adding another dozen panels, which would get me to covering all loads except the dryer...and these will be ground mount, becuase I am out of roof

exposure. there's literally a mountain behind the house, this got the best exposure. Line losses from PV get high very fast when you get too far from your inverters. I am exploring adding another dozen panels, which would get me to covering all loads except the dryer...and these will be ground mount, becuase I am out of roof

I didn’t realize about line losses - makes sense but never thought it.

Ah. See my long term plan is to build a shed specifically for the inverters and batteries. I can then just trench AC to the house. I get the mountain issue though. I'm also on a slight northward slope.

Did our first mylar bags storage today of a 10lb bag of flour. Divided it into two mylar bags with a little left over. Have a massive bag of rice to package and some dry beans next. Got some buckets with gamma lids from uline and the mylar bags with O2 absorbers from amazon. Sealed them with my wife's hair straightener.

Did our first mylar bags storage today of a 10lb bag of flour. Divided it into two mylar bags with a little left over. Have a massive bag of rice to package and some dry beans next. Got some buckets with gamma lids from uline and the mylar bags with O2 absorbers from amazon. Sealed them with my wife's hair straightener.
keep in mind flour stores for only 10 years that way, as opposed to 30+ for the rice and beans

I have white flour from 2012 in mylar/O2 buckets and it is like new. Stored at room temp.

I'm not sure where those numbers in that article above came from, but there are several that are outright wrong.

I habe pasta that was stored on a shelf in original box that is fine at 2 years. I have pasta in mylar/02 buckets 8 years old that was fine when I opened it. No discernable diff from new.

Being new to all this it's probably good I evaluate my stores every few years anyways. Chances are I made a mistake somewhere with a seal,o2 absorbers or maybe even over packed a bag or something. Once I feel more comfortable I hope to just leave a few buckets untouched for extended periods.

Being new to all this it's probably good I evaluate my stores every few years anyways. Chances are I made a mistake somewhere with a seal,o2 absorbers or maybe even over packed a bag or something. Once I feel more comfortable I hope to just leave a few buckets untouched for extended periods.
More importantly, you should be eating your stores. If you have a bucket that's good for 10 years, make 10 of them over a 10 year period, one each year. At year 10, eat the contents of bucket #1 and replace it. You should employ the same methods for your short term pantry, store deep and eat the stores, replace what you eat and put new products in the back.

More importantly, you should be eating your stores. If you have a bucket that's good for 10 years, make 10 of them over a 10 year period, one each year. At year 10, eat the contents of bucket #1 and replace it. You should employ the same methods for your short term pantry, store deep and eat the stores, replace what you eat and put new products in the back.
First in first out.

I tried doing this. I felt like I was always eating old food. Kinda grossed me out.

What's your rotation time then? Or are you just throwing stuff out? I'm gonna try and do it well before it could possibly go bad.

Back
Top Bottom