• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pregnant woman killed in Walnut Hills shooting: What would you do?

Reptile

NES Member
A pregnant woman was killed after a shooting happened in Walnut Hills on Sunday afternoon.

Police received a call shortly after 12:15 p.m. about a shooting that occurred in the 2400 block of Reading Road. The woman was taken to Christ Hospital by a private vehicle, where she was pronounced dead, according to police.

Police identified the woman as 28-year-old Dominique Lee. She was eight months pregnant. Lee's child was delivered by an emergency c-section prior to her death.

This story got me thinking...

If you saw a pregnant woman get shot in the head and obviously killed - would your try to rescue the baby?

Assuming there was no longer a threat...

Let's say help would not be able to arrive for an hour.

Time is of the essence to prevent the babies oxygen loss. You will have to work quick to make cesarian cut into the womb.

What is the EMS protocol for this?

I could not imagine the likelihood of having to do this but I think I would try.

If the mother is dead anyway, and the baby would die without your help - you would lose nothing by trying.

I certainly would prefer to have a pair of rubber gloves in the case of the woman in the article due to HIV or any other disease she has.

It seems all you would need to do it cut a hole, fish around, find the baby, and tie off the umbilical cord.

It is not your place on this planet to worry about something like that. Plus depending what shithole state something like this happens in, you are putting yourself in danger of getting jammed up by the liberal asshats.......If you are not trained in the medical, emergency sector, dont try to play doctor.....jmo

This is the most fudged up hypothetical situation I’ve ever been asked about.

No. My luck what would happen is:
1) the woman is just fat and I’m making a mess for nothing
2) I stab the baby and wind up being charged with either murder or practicing medicine without a license
3) I’d somehow wind up financially responsible for the baby
4) I’d be charged with contaminating a crime scene.

I honestly can’t see where I could make this situation better. For the baby or myself. But it is a good reason to carry a pocketknife if you’re more medically inclined than me.

It is not your place on this planet to worry about something like that. Plus depending what shithole state something like this happens in, you are putting yourself in danger of getting jammed up by the liberal asshats.......If you are not trained in the medical, emergency sector, dont try to play doctor.....jmo
You are putting yourself out on a limb but there is a law on the books I believe it's called the Good Samaritan law that protects you. However you will still shell out for a lawyer.

I would not want to find myself in any area where something like this would be even remotely possible. If I did, my first reaction would be to kill bad guy(s) and just gtfo of there.

Good lord, no.

I'm not a doctor. Don't want to be one, either. In the situation you describe, I'd already be booking it through the nearest exit with MY family.

Besides, OP, the article you posted makes it very clear that the better course of action (if you're into being an angel) is just to drag the dying mom to your vehicle and hightail it to the hospital. That's what someone did in this case, and the baby was apparently delivered just fine.

You are putting yourself out on a limb but there is a law on the books I believe it's called the Good Samaritan law that protects you. However you will still shell out for a lawyer.

I dont believe any good Samaritan law has protections for trying to cut a baby out of a dead womans body.........

There is no EMS protocol for this. You could call online Med control but I highly doubt they’re going to instruct you to perform a field surgery you aren’t anywhere near qualified to perform. Best option is likely CPR and supplemental O2 to keep the baby perfused and get to the ER/OR as fast as humanly possible

If I had a doctor to sign an affidavit on the spot confirming she was in fact dead before I went in with my pocket knife (and someone to witness the signature) then yeah sure, why not? Best case scenario you’re a hero that everyone is afraid to shake hands with, worst case scenario you accidentally kill the baby too and have a very uncomfortable time explaining the situation to the first responders, whoever they may be. Every other possible outcome has you looking like a lunatic hacking up a dead pregnant lady and a baby that dies anyway. And imagine if she’s only like 6 months but just a little extra chubby? Then even under the potential hero outcome you have a premature baby die in your hands beside the mother’s hacked up corpse. In all these situations you’re leaving the scene in handcuffs, the only variable is whether you get invited on Good Morning America after. But if you have a doctor standing there anyway you should just let him/her do it.

There is no EMS protocol for this. You could call online Med control but I highly doubt they’re going to instruct you to perform a field surgery you aren’t anywhere near qualified to perform. Best option is likely CPR and supplemental O2 to keep the baby perfused and get to the ER/OR as fast as humanly possible

how long after mother's death would baby's own oxygen will run out? I'm not sure you can drive to ER that fast.

We are talking about Ceasarian section which was named, I believe after Julius Caesar. This was a known prorecedure for a long while, without any meds we have now.

That being said, no way I can see myself performing a C section.

how long after mother's death would baby's own oxygen will run out? I'm not sure you can drive to ER that fast.

And yet, that's exactly what happened in the article the OP posted.

The mom lost consciousness and, probably, went into shock right away. But she didn't die right away, and that makes all the difference in terms of getting the fetus out.

Get the wounded woman to the hospital if you want. Let the pros handle the rest.

Thanks for the responses.

I doubt it would ever happen.

I normally have cell coverage, also.

911 would tell me what to do so the burden would not just fall on me.

Hypothetically.

There's dead and then there's dead. A mortal wound doesn't necessarily mean that the baby isn't getting oxygen. Unless you're qualified to know for absolute sure, you're probably making bad situation worse by whipping out your Swiss Army knife.

I'm not a doctor but I do go visit one about once a year.

I'm not a Dr, I be doing everything in my damn power to get the two to the ER, without injury to myself and other innocent bystanders

Ok. We’ve established this is a bad idea.

What knife would be best?

Would you just need a sharp plain edge? Would a serrated blasé be better to get through the clothes? Would two blades for different jobs be worth the extra weight? A multi tool in case the only thing to tie off the cord available is wire? What blade length?

This could be better than last century’s “what knife to take out a sentry” threads on the SHTF sites. I’m sure Gunkid or the “original” Gecko45 would have an awesome time with this thread.

Back
Top Bottom