• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pregnant woman killed in Walnut Hills shooting: What would you do?

Like stated do you know how far alone the women is?
Your good deed could turn into a big mess with a half formed
baby all over the place,and you in a shit load of trouble.
What is that saying? No good deed goes unpunished.

Ok. We’ve established this is a bad idea.

What knife would be best?

Would you just need a sharp plain edge? Would a serrated blasé be better to get through the clothes? Would two blades for different jobs be worth the extra weight? A multi tool in case the only thing to tie off the cord available is wire? What blade length?

This could be better than last century’s “what knife to take out a sentry” threads on the SHTF sites. I’m sure Gunkid or the “original” Gecko45 would have an awesome time with this thread.

I keep my deer hunting guthook on hand for occasions such as this.

Ok. We’ve established this is a bad idea.

What knife would be best?

Would you just need a sharp plain edge? Would a serrated blasé be better to get through the clothes? Would two blades for different jobs be worth the extra weight? A multi tool in case the only thing to tie off the cord available is wire? What blade length?

This could be better than last century’s “what knife to take out a sentry” threads on the SHTF sites. I’m sure Gunkid or the “original” Gecko45 would have an awesome time with this thread.
If you carry an SKS, like a man, you could use the folding bayonet.

Reptile tries hard to behave but does not always succeed.

So whose baby are you thinking of taking rescuing, OP?
I know. He is a good guy, I met him a few times, which is why I cant be mean to him. Every time I start typing, his face pops up looking at me like a sad puppy saying "Why Broc, why?"

I know this was a crazy thing to bring up.

You see, whenever I read some article about a shooting or a life and death event - in my minds eye - I put myself in that situation.

Did the participants do the right thing?

What would I have done different?

I try to inoculate myself from the stress of the situation by imagining myself as the bystander who has the ability to save a life.

I know this particular situation is unlikely.

However, when I read accounts of traumatic incidents - I feel as if I'm getting a small degree of experience from other peoples misfortunes.

What I learn from AAR (After action reports) could help me in the future if I find myself in such a situation.

Regarding CCW - it is essential to analyze news stories by putting yourself in their situation as not to make the same mistakes.

I have some basic first aid skills and I know CPR. I hope never to be in a situation where those skills are needed.
I think if I did nothing to potentially save a life, I would have a burden and a hole in my heart for the rest of my which would effect my mental and eventually my physical well being.

By letting a person die, it could literally kill me down the road.

Ultimately, that is what I want to avoid.

My son was born by emergency C-section. In an operating room. With a full surgical and NICU team. I was in the room for it.

Once upon a time, I had some decent first aid training (combat lifesaver) and NFW would I ever in any situation attempt performing a C-section.

You are putting yourself out on a limb but there is a law on the books I believe it's called the Good Samaritan law that protects you. However you will still shell out for a lawyer.

Good samaritan laws only protect you if you are acting within your knowledge. For example, I've been given pretty decent trauma training for gunshots and amputations. I'd be covered, generally, if I acted to stop the bleeding or basic care of a gunshot victim or amputee.

I've never been trained to perform a tracheotomy. I can't poke a hole and put a pen in someone's throat.

There is no EMS protocol for this. You could call online Med control but I highly doubt they’re going to instruct you to perform a field surgery you aren’t anywhere near qualified to perform. Best option is likely CPR and supplemental O2 to keep the baby perfused and get to the ER/OR as fast as humanly possible

^^^^^^Exactly this!^^^^^^

CPR and get as much O2 into her has possible.

I know this was a crazy thing to bring up.

You see, whenever I read some article about a shooting or a life and death event - in my minds eye - I put myself in that situation.

Did the participants do the right thing?

What would I have done different?

I try to inoculate myself from the stress of the situation by imagining myself as the bystander who has the ability to save a life.

I know this particular situation is unlikely.

However, when I read accounts of traumatic incidents - I feel as if I'm getting a small degree of experience from other peoples misfortunes.

What I learn from AAR (After action reports) could help me in the future if I find myself in such a situation.

Regarding CCW - it is essential to analyze news stories by putting yourself in their situation as not to make the same mistakes.

I have some basic first aid skills and I know CPR. I hope never to be in a situation where those skills are needed.
I think if I did nothing to potentially save a life, I would have a burden and a hole in my heart for the rest of my which would effect my mental and eventually my physical well being.

By letting a person die, it could literally kill me down the road.

Ultimately, that is what I want to avoid.

Yes.

The participants did the right thing.

Their lesson is that getting the PT to the hospital ASAP is the best outcome for the fetus. End of story. So put away the scalpel.

ETA: don't fool yourself. You're NOT "the bystander who has the ability to save a life." You DO NOT have the ability to deliver a baby by c-section, regardless of what you think your CPR certification card means.

Last edited:
If you delivered the baby, you should be considered a hero but in this convoluted country, you'd probably be charged with something. It's screwed up that if you did nothing, the baby would die but you'd be fine legally. If you tried to help it would likely be held against you.

Yes.

The participants did the right thing.

Their lesson is that getting the PT to the hospital ASAP is the best outcome for the fetus. End of story. So put away the scalpel.

ETA: don't fool yourself. You're NOT "the bystander who has the ability to save a life." You DO NOT have the ability to deliver a baby by c-section, regardless of what you think your CPR certification card means.
I wouldn't call it end of story unless you can live with yourself knowing you may have made a difference.

I wouldn't call it end of story unless you can live with yourself knowing you may have made a difference.

I can't deliver a baby by c-section. I can't. So that's not a difference I "may have made."

So yes. I'd live with myself just fine.

It seems all you would need to do it cut a hole, fish around, find the baby, and tie off the umbilical cord.
Yeah... I am sure that is all there is to it.

How about, cops show up, find you covered in blood going all Hills have Eyes on the recently deceased, and shoot you in your f***ing face, as a reward for your good deed. That's how shit works in real life.

i think this scenario happened in a movie or tv show, what happened to that guy after??
oh yeah, he just continued to kill the zombies and then go for a supplies run.
the baby was taken in by the apocalyptic survivors community and raised as one of their own to become a warrior!!

^^^^^^Exactly this!^^^^^^

CPR and get as much O2 into her has possible.

This. CPR can delay death for a long time. In my certification class a couple years back, the instructor pointed out the two longest recorded cases of CPR where the victim made a full recovery. In one case, the person had become hypothermic (which slows down the death process) and was revived after 3.5 hours of continuous CPR. In the other case, a young man collapsed with two friends while out on a hike. As one friend ran to get help, the other began CPR. In that case, it was 86 minutes from the time they began CPR until the victim had an established heartbeat again. There has since been another case where CPR was performed on the victim for 340 minutes (that's nearly 6 hours) with a full recovery.

In the OP's case, the mother may be brain dead, but continuing CPR could maintain the life of the fetus until you can get to the ER and the doctors can determine and take the best course of action.

I would not try to rescue anyone.

Let them save themselves.

I might grab a bag of popcorn and wait around to see how it all plays out.

I'm no hero and I am not going to pretend to be one.

Let the first responders earn their money.

Good samaritan laws only protect you if you are acting within your knowledge. For example, I've been given pretty decent trauma training for gunshots and amputations. I'd be covered, generally, if I acted to stop the bleeding or basic care of a gunshot victim or amputee.

I've never been trained to perform a tracheotomy. I can't poke a hole and put a pen in someone's throat.
Good to know. I've been concerned about having to do a tracheotomy - no I won't have to (no training).

I think I'll be carrying my ankle med kit more often. At least I can use at Cat tourniquet and have practiced using it in many classes.

I think I'd benefit from a CPR recertification - I never knew people can survive after prolonged CPR.

I'd end up having a heart attack myself if I had to do it for a long time, but if I had a partner or two - we could keep doing it until EMS shows up.

After a really traumatic incident where things went as good as they could go - a citizen may benefit from some sort of counseling after.
LEO and EMS have debriefing meetings so they can cope better.

Even Massad Ayoob suggested to seek counseling if you need it before you develop a really bad case of PTSD. There are some professionals who specialize in such rather than your average therapist.

I don't think your average citizen is as well equipped to deal with the after effects of trauma as a seasoned police officer.

I recall reading a published account about a real-life case where this exact scenario happened. I don't remember when and I don't remember where, but - if I recall correctly - I first read about it in the year 2000 (in either JEMS, or Firehouse, or Fire Engineering, I think). IIRC, the Mom was dead, having suffered a trauma, and the person on scene - who was NOT a surgeon - decided to save the baby (surgically). End result? The baby lived, and was perfectly fine, so the grateful father sued the person (who'd saved the life of the baby). No good deed goes unpunished.

Good to know. I've been concerned about having to do a tracheotomy - no I won't have to (no training).

I think I'll be carrying my ankle med kit more often. At least I can use at Cat tourniquet and have practiced using it in many classes.

I think I'd benefit from a CPR recertification - I never knew people can survive after prolonged CPR.

I'd end up having a heart attack myself if I had to do it for a long time, but if I had a partner or two - we could keep doing it until EMS shows up.

After a really traumatic incident where things went as good as they could go - a citizen may benefit from some sort of counseling after.
LEO and EMS have debriefing meetings so they can cope better.

The big thing about CPR is, depending on who teaches it, they have really simplified it. Hum "Staying Alive", push down on the beat. You can always switch off if you can talk someone else through it. I doubt CPR would trigger a law suit since 911 dispatchers can talk you through it, if all else fails, call 911 and have the operator on the phone telling you what to do to cover you if your cert is expired. The cert is just nice to have. But from what I've heard, without a defibrillator nearby, it's going to be a workout. Last class I went to didn't even mention rescue breathing, the chest compression will move air through the lungs.

Those nose tubes are getting a lot of mention in our IFAIK classes. Seems they work, keeping airway open. No personal experience. Thank God.

Back
Top Bottom