• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pre ban mags, can you update the internals

Naz

I moved to Mass. Got some pre ban mags (I'm still looking for more, but that's another thread)
And now I'm wondering if I can update them leaving the bodies intact, i.e. replace the follower, spring, and floor plate...
Are there any legal issues I need to consider before updating?

I know under the old fed law (which MA AWB law is MOSTLY based on) the feds allowed for replacement of the guts of the magazine, basically anything other than the tube. That's about as close as you're going to get for an interpretation.

Whether it is valid or not legally is anyone's guess as it's never been tested.

-Mike

It's a good question that has been asked many times. Short answer is we don't THINK it's a problem but the law is so poorly written we can't say for sure. Take a look at the different threads on it (use the search feature to find them) and make an informed decision. I've updated mine with new springs and followers but have saved the old 'just in case'

It is to my understanding that many fellows update theirs with magpul anti-til followers and such (for the AR guys). I'm not saying it's a definite yes, but many do do it

There's no case law, but here's my amateur legal opinion. The Massachusetts legislature drafted the original version of their AWB/HiCapBan with explicit reference to the federal bans. When they revised it, they reiterated that reference, adding a specific reference to the federal law as it existed on a particular date. These questions regarding magazines and the ATF rulings regarding magazine repairs and/or modification under the federal ban were well known at the time they drafted the revised Massachusetts law. If they had intended that the Massachusetts law be interpreted in a significantly different fashion than the federal law was, it was incumbent on them to have spelled out those differences. Absent any such specification, an individual should be free to rely on the previous federal interpretations.

To put it in simple language, I'm fairly confident that a good attorney should be able to get your conviction overturned on appeal, even in Massachusetts. [wink]

Ken

To put it in simple language, I'm fairly confident that a good attorney should be able to get your conviction overturned on appeal, even in Massachusetts. [wink]

Ken

Uncertainty, specialized lawyers, convictions, appeals and all on someone else's dime? I'll bring the popcorn.

this would be an incredibly useful peice of information to have a concrete answer to, as it's allow you to build 922r compliant rifles from foreign parts kits with "less" US parts on the rifle itself. Think FALs. AKs are easy, but it'd allow your builder to geek out harder with a more "authentic" replica.

Back
Top Bottom