• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Posted yesterday on Glock talk, Carry Issues.

I'll tell you what, if it happened to me I certainly would post it in a public forum.

However, the names, places, and dates would be changed. Anyone see if there is any info out there on an incident in Portland? Or did this really happen in "Portland"?

I didn't know that knives in your pocket were an issue in ME. Did I miss something?

They're not. They might be when you have an anti gun PD trying to
invent things to charge someone with, though.

-Mike

Someone was arrested last night in NH on the way home.... loaded firearm in a car without a license.

While I think the premise of that law is absurd, It's hard to refute that such an incident IS a violation of NH state law. The NH law is pretty clear about loaded handguns in vehicles, and how only permit holders are exempt. That kind of incident is a far cry from someone being arrested for performing a statutorily lawful activity. (eg, such as open carrying in NH). Years ago I heard of (Salem?) PD arresting people for open carry, but then later releasing them and dropping any charges once they found out that open carry was 110% legal.

-Mike

We all wonder why our rights erode away as we watch these liberal loons gather all the moonbats together with antigun t-shirts and lie down and protest for their side. We only got one guy in portland who isn't even laying down and disrupting anyone and we give him crap for it. All I'm saying is that the other side is motivated, and they get attention, and they're wrong. Our side is right, but all we have is one guy in portland who it's questionable wether or not he was willing to commit an act deemed as civil disobediance, but more importantly a peaceful act of doing nothing but going about his law obiding business, and even we are too quick to disown him.

People in portland better start stirring the pot, or you'll end up like people in Boston.

Agreed.

And since when is doing something that is perfectly legal constitute civil disobedience? This is just plain heavy handedness and persecution on the part of the police. Denying someone their right or freedom because they don't think that they should have it.

Last edited:
I might get flamed for this, and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but... why not just carry concealed and avoid situations like this? An HK USPc is concealable with even the cheapest of IWB holsters.

What is the advantage of open carry? If you are on your own property and you aren't in plain sight of strangers, feel free to carry however you want. But in public? IMO, open carry will only serve, at the least, to make people nervous, and at worst, cause situations that the OP had to go through.

Personally I'd be nervous walking by someone with a pistol on his or her hip, without a police shield or some other military/security identification.

What is the idea behind open carry, when concealed is just as easy, and helps avoid these kinds of problems?

I might get flamed for this, and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but... why not just carry concealed and avoid situations like this? An HK USPc is concealable with even the cheapest of IWB holsters.

What is the advantage of open carry? If you are on your own property and you aren't in plain sight of strangers, feel free to carry however you want. But in public? IMO, open carry will only serve, at the least, to make people nervous, and at worst, cause situations that the OP had to go through.

Personally I'd be nervous walking by someone with a pistol on his or her hip, without a police shield or some other military/security identification.

What is the idea behind open carry, when concealed is just as easy, and helps avoid these kinds of problems?

+1

My simple solution!

If the law says that open carry is legal and everything the person did was within the confines of the law. He deserves all the rights provided by the law and nothing less. The laws are rigid enough to provide safety and security without adding opinion, personality of what the person looked like. No good can come of giving law enforcement or moonbats the power or authority to remove or take a weapon from a person they don't think looks appropriate to them. That is a big part of the premise MA police chiefs try to use today to determine whether you should be issued an LTC and we all know how that goes.

My simple solution!

If the law says that open carry is legal and everything the person did was within the confines of the law. He deserves all the rights provided by the law and nothing less. The laws are rigid enough to provide safety and security without adding opinion, personality of what the person looked like. No good can come of giving law enforcement or moonbats the power or authority to remove or take a weapon from a person they don't think looks appropriate to them. That is a big part of the premise MA police chiefs try to use today to determine whether you should be issued an LTC and we all know how that goes.

Not to hijack your thread but this is a great point. How often is someone's appearance the deciding factor on how they are going to be treated? I am curious to know what a LO or CLEO think when they have a minority come in for an LTC? or how about someone that looks like a hippie? If I am a minority and I come in with a suit and tie, does the LO or CLEO look beyond my skin color?

It seems to me that appearance is EVERYTHING IN THIS SOCIETY.

Apparently you missed the part where the guy said that he didn't have
a permit yet, and apparently in ME without said permit one cannot carry
concealed.

Yeah, because a uniform and or badge magically make it "all better..." [thinking]

-Mike

What on earth makes you feel safer about the presence of a police shield? In addition to the endless "don't do this!"-Bang! stories that we read every week, I've answered the door (sans weapon) twice in three years at 2:00 in the morning because my neighbors house, their intended target-again, "looked like mine"

Police are simply people with extra metal pinned to their chest. If that badge makes you feel secure than I suggest that your evaluation is flawed.

Well...I still don't get the attractiveness of open carry. Having lived in a strictly open carry state for a number of years (Arizona), there everyone clamored for concealed carry and finally, the good people of Arizona were able finally to carry concealed. The only advantage to open carry, as I see it, is in the field: hunting, hiking etc.

Speaking from experience, open carry in an urban situation attracts attention which is something no one who carries a firearm really wants to do. In effect, while not brandishing, it certainly is flaunting and why someone would want to flaunt the fact that they are armed is beyond me.

The person in Maine was awaiting his CCW permit. Rather than check out the laws pertaining to open carry, he decided he would just do it. The moonbats who saw him and reported him to the police are exactly that, elitist snots who had their world disrupted....but again, why flaunt the fact that you are armed? The police responded because they could and for no other reason. It is easier to make an arrest like that, than to try to catch a real criminal. They are certainly not going to sympathize with the perp. Remember as a collective entity: THE POLICE ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS.

Putting the whole thing up on a blog was really stupid, now it has made it to not one but two forums and goodness knows where else. While I can understand that it may seem as if we are turning on one of our one, and there have been some articulate posts that present that argument, it is hard to feel much empathy for someone who has to date used questionable judgement.

Mark L.

Last edited:
Good for Norman to use his 2A rights. Sounds like the PD has some crow to eat.

http://news.mainetoday.com/updates/027537.html

Police: Man had gun, knives at Back Cove
By Portland Press Herald Staff Report May 22, 2008 12:30 PM

Portland police arrested a man yesterday on the pedestrian path at Back Cove who they say was carrying a gun in a holster on his hip and also had three knives concealed on his body, according to police Lt. Tony Ward.

Norman Hamann, 23, of Lyman, was arrested about 7 p.m. and charged with carrying a concealed weapon, Ward said. Ward said the misdemeanor charge relates only to the concealed knives.

Hamann does not face a charge related to the gun. “In Maine, you don’t need a permit to carry a gun, only if you’re carrying it concealed,” Ward said.

A person who spotted Hamann’s gun called police, Ward said. Hamann was on the path, which runs along Baxter Boulevard, in the vicinity of the Seaside rehabilitation center, Ward said.

He said that when police asked Hamann about the gun, he replied that he had the right to bear arms. Police found the knives when they patted down Hamann for their own safety, Ward said.

Hamann was taken to the Cumberland County Jail, where a jail official said he was released on $100 bail.

Yeah, because a uniform and or badge magically make it "all better..." [thinking]

-Mike

Exactly, that is the type of elitist mentality that is plaguing our country. Open carry may not give you a tactical advantage, but if everyone were to carry concealed then eventually open carry would be made illegal and the anti's would be one step closer to their goal.

Well...I still don't get the attractiveness of open carry. Having lived in a strictly open carry state for a number of years (Arizona), there everyone clamored for concealed carry and finally, the good people of Arizona were able finally to carry concealed. The only advantage to open carry, as I see it, is in the field: hunting, hiking etc.

Speaking from experience, open carry in an urban situation attracts attention which is something no one who carries a firearm really wants to do. In effect, while not brandishing, it certainly is flaunting and why someone would want to flaunt the fact that they are armed is beyond me.

The person in Maine was awaiting his CCW permit. Rather than check out the laws pertaining to open carry, he decided he would just do it. The moonbats who saw him and reported him to the police are exactly that, elitist snots who had their world disrupted....but again, why flaunt the fact that you are armed? The police responded because they could and for no other reason. It is easier to make an arrest like that, than to try to catch a real criminal. They are certainly not going to sympathize with the perp. Remember as a collective entity: THE POLICE ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS.

Putting the whole thing up on a blog was really stupid, now it has made it to not one but two forums and goodness knows where else. While I can understand that it may seem as if we are turning on one of our one, and there have been some articulate posts that present that argument, it is hard to feel much empathy for someone who has to date used questionable judgement.

Mark L.

+1

While I think the premise of that law is absurd, It's hard to refute that such an incident IS a violation of NH state law. The NH law is pretty clear about loaded handguns in vehicles, and how only permit holders are exempt. That kind of incident is a far cry from someone being arrested for performing a statutorily lawful activity. (eg, such as open carrying in NH). Years ago I heard of (Salem?) PD arresting people for open carry, but then later releasing them and dropping any charges once they found out that open carry was 110% legal.

-Mike

I agree. Not to mention the fact that it is quick, easy, and cheep to get a NH license. There is no reason to not follow this very simple rule.

I have still yet to see any benefit to open carry [thinking].

There was an article linked in the other forum that the police were responding to a man "waving" a gun which is a different set of circumstances than a man just walking down the street with a holstered gun.

Police found the knives when they patted down Hamann for their own safety
... thereby laying the groundwork to justify the search as permissible under the Terry doctrine, and reducing the chances it will be thrown out as an illegal search.

Whether or not one sees benefit in open carry is completely irrelevant. A man was engaging in a LEGAL activity. He was then tackled and arrested by the Portland PD because someone called 911 to report his LEGAL activity.

The cops couldn't charge him for the gun so they hit him with some bogus charge for carrying pocket knifes.

DO YOU GET IT?????? A man's god given and constitutional rights were violated. What you think about open carry has no bearing.

Guess what, the antis see no benefit in you having any gun or even paper clips and rubber bands. Gun owners need to stick together and support those who have their rights blatantly trampled upon. You could be next one to have your rights violated.

I'll agree with this. Unless Maine has something against open carry I don't get it. Does Portland have local restrictions?

Whether or not one sees benefit in open carry is completely irrelevant. A man was engaging in a LEGAL activity. He was then tackled and arrested by the Portland PD because someone called 911 to report his LEGAL activity.

The cops couldn't charge him for the gun so they hit him with some bogus charge for carrying pocket knifes.

DO YOU GET IT?????? A man's god given and constitutional rights were violated. What you think about open carry has no bearing.

Guess what, the antis see no benefit in you having any gun or even paper clips and rubber bands. Gun owners need to stick together and support those who have their rights blatantly trampled upon. You could be next one to have your rights violated.

Good for Norman to use his 2A rights. Sounds like the PD has some crow to eat.

http://news.mainetoday.com/updates/027537.html

This bothers me as it should everyone else. If it's legal to open carry it's legal. I can't see how a search was justified. And how the hell is having knife in ones' pocket a concealed weapon violation when you're carry a freaking gun anyway??? It's like arresting someone for having matches in his pocket with a truck full of TNT that's ok.

And how the hell is having knife in ones' pocket a concealed weapon violation when you're carry a freaking gun anyway??? It's like arresting someone for having matches in his pocket with a truck full of TNT that's ok.

+1

If this doesn't prove how dumb it is to call something illegal then I don't think anything will.

There was an article linked in the other forum that the police were responding to a man "waving" a gun which is a different set of circumstances than a man just walking down the street with a holstered gun.

I don't know if the truth will really come out though- you know as well as I do
that some pantywaist liberal might have called PPD and said "theres a crazy
man with a gun who just walked by me" and embellished what really had actually occurred.

-Mike

I don't know if the truth will really come out though- you know as well as I do
that some pantywaist liberal might have called PPD and said "theres a crazy
man with a gun who just walked by me" and embellished what really had actually occurred.

-Mike

Agreed.....but if the call had come to the station that there was a "man waving a gun" that would at least explain why he had been detained and searched in the first place.

The responding officers would have no way to know that some "pantywaist liberal" had embellished until after the detention and search and then it is too late as far as the knives were concerned. This would also explain why there were no addition charges.

It is possible that he was sniped by a sheep and not porked by a pig.[wink]

Back
Top Bottom