Post Ban Mags

Need a little help folks. My friend moved into the state with a 3rd Gen G17 that he has since sold. He did not pass on the hi cap mags as He's aware they weren't legal to pass on. He now has several mags that's He may put up for sale to free state-ers. He then received a message suggesting it was legal to sell them to law enforcement personnel living in the state. Any truth to this?

Sent from my god awful iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
It is legal for a LEO to possess high cap mags. However, I would be very nervous about selling something that is a felony for you to possess TO the very people that could bust you for it.

It is legal for a LEO to possess high cap mags. However, I would be very nervous about selling something that is a felony for you to possess TO the very people that could bust you for it.

This. Selling an item you can't own to people who lobbied for you not to be able to own it, who could in turn make it so you can't own any firearms because of your possession of such an item while selling it to them, is just too risky. I also remember something in regard to the high cap exemption being for duty weapons while on duty, unless their chief extends that exemption into their personal firearms. I am not sure on this, so I am sure someone can clear it up.

That's weird. He was told It okay as It purchased out of state when He was a resident of said state. So He traveled into state and it's not legal for him to have?

Last edited:
That's weird. I was told I was okay as I purchased out of state when I was a resident of said state. So I traveled into state and it's not legal for me to have?

You are committing multiple felonies right now as you read this simply by possessing them. I suggest you delete this thread, then lose them or stop talking about them, and stop taking info from morons. You really think MA would allow people driving to other states then bringing in loads of post ban magazines?

So I traveled into state and it's not legal for me to have?

This is correct. Its a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison. Otherwise everyone could claim they had any mag when they moved into the state. Any high capacity magazine made after 1994 is illegal.

Well thank you all for your actual help, I'll use it. Those resorting to name calling, eat a big bag of dicks.

Really, Dvllsn, please edit your first few posts for your own protection and replace them with a "."

Even though you are trying to do the right thing, the state is heartless and has no soul.

Can I just ask you one question? When you moved into MA. did you look up any laws pertaining to gun ownership in MA. I expect you have a MA. LTC,and had to take some sort of saftey class in MA. to obtain that LTC.They must have given you information on what you can, and cannot own in MA.

Apparently they didn't address purchases made in his prior residency state in HIS class.

Can I just ask you one question? When you moved into MA. did you look up any laws pertaining to gun ownership in MA. I expect you have a MA. LTC,and had to take some sort of saftey class in MA. to obtain that LTC.They must have given you information on what you can, and cannot own in MA.

Who the **** can really figure it all out? Apparently some advice was given to him and, much like advice given by cops, gun shops, and intertube posters everywhere, it was wrong. Now he knows what is definitively true, don't move to Massachusetts.

He should get his money back from the teacher,and P-14 is right you should do that

Last edited:
He should get his money back from the teacher,and P-14 is right you should do that

There is no requirement whatsoever that the MA basic firearms classes teach anything about the screwed up laws, as far as I know. I believe the class requirement is all about gun safety and handling firearms. There are classes about MA firearms laws and even after hours of sitting in those classes and paying $hundreds, you will still learn new things by reading on NES and asking questions.

Please send them to me for proper disposal.

You can possess post ban high caps if there are destroyed.

I'll put them in my vice and beat them mercilessly with a sledge hammer.

Out of curiosity, does anyone here have direct knowledge of someone being arrested and prosecuted for possessing undated post ban hi cap pistol magazines in Massachusetts?

Out of curiosity, does anyone here have direct knowledge of someone being arrested and prosecuted for possessing undated post ban hi cap pistol magazines in Massachusetts?

Believe there's multiple threads on this. Usually a tack-on charge, not the offense they were arrested for. But it's still illegal to possess them.

There is no requirement whatsoever that the MA basic firearms classes teach anything about the screwed up laws, as far as I know. I believe the class requirement is all about gun safety and handling firearms. There are classes about MA firearms laws and even after hours of sitting in those classes and paying $hundreds, you will still learn new things by reading on NES and asking questions.

Wrong.

To issue a Mass State Police BFC Cert ( the NRA is not acceptable in Mass) the students must be informed about Mass gun laws. However, there is no specificity as to what "informed" means.

Every trainer does it differently. Where I help with the classes, we have about an hour of "Happy time" and pass out info. Others may do more, or less.

It's not part of the NRA curriculum, and you have to state that you're leaving the NRA text.

Oh, as an aside, when my then 13-year-old son and I took the Instructor's course at GOAL, the class began with a surprise quiz on the Mass Gun Laws.

The kid had the highest score. My theory is that his brain was less fried, from less exposure! [laugh]

Believe there's multiple threads on this. Usually a tack-on charge, not the offense they were arrested for. But it's still illegal to possess them.

I'm not debating the legality.

Can you point me to a link where it's a first hand experience and not a friend of a friend type situation?

Back
Top Bottom