• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Modifying pre ban AR in Mass??

I’m an NH resident looking for some clarification please.

A buddy of mine from work lives in Mass. just bought a pre-ban Bushmaster at a gun shop in Mass and is in the waiting period before he can bring it home.

It’s a 20” A2 with a fixed stock as made by Bushmaster. He wants a 16” upper, collapsible stock,etc. Is this allowed by Mass law or does it have to remain in its original configuration to be compliant?

He is far more relaxed about this stuff than I am and he thinks he can do what he chooses because of a pre ban serial number. Is there a resource where I can see an actual law versus someone’s interpretation on a forum?

Thanks

Ian

Is there a resource where I can see an actual law versus someone’s interpretation on a forum?

Thanks

Ian

ETA:
Actually funny. Maybe i just can’t find it anymore, but the “feature test” is no longer on their web page. It stops after enumerated weapons, copies/duplicates, but still references the 1994 law.

Last edited:
It’s absolutely none of my business, you’re right. I’m just trying to help a friend not make a mistake and get himself in trouble. You know how younger guys are, we all thought we were bulletproof in our 20’s right?

It seems he’s in the right and can do as he pleases.

Thank you all for your replies.

And to the guy above who mentioned the waiting period I misspoke, he told me HE gets delayed every time he buys a firearm because he shares the same name as his father and grandfather etc. he’s actually the “5th”. He does put his social on his 4473 and still gets delayed every time according to him.

ETA:
Actually funny. Maybe i just can’t find it anymore, but the “feature test” is no longer on their web page. It stops after enumerated weapons, copies/duplicates, but still references the 1994 law.
The feature test is in the federal law that's incorporated by reference. It has never been directly printed in MGL.

It’s absolutely none of my business, you’re right. I’m just trying to help a friend not make a mistake and get himself in trouble. You know how younger guys are, we all thought we were bulletproof in our 20’s right?
The entire value of preban rifles is the ability to configure them however you please...

And to the guy above who mentioned the waiting period I misspoke, he told me HE gets delayed every time he buys a firearm because he shares the same name as his father and grandfather etc. he’s actually the “5th”. He does put his social on his 4473 and still gets delayed every time according to him.

He might consider getting a UPIN

What is a UPIN and How to Apply for a UPIN

Back
Top Bottom