• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Politician's Responses to AG Overeach

claire cronin, state rep-- brockton/easton ---answering machine, no reply as yet

mike brady, state senator, --very polite man named sean answered---all he can do is tally the number of calls for or against

claire cronin has a small "d" next to her name. she was very responsive on the last go-around (for a dem)

mike brady is an a**h**le DDDDDDD

Last edited:
From Baker, I got the canned response someone already posted.

I didn't bother emailing Don Hummison because I know he's on our side. I did call and the aide on the phone said, "He's pissed!"
That was refreshing.

Rep Aaron Vega, called and emailed. Nada

Jim,

Totally agree. This is total BS. I'm working on it Total abuse of power and a political stunt. I appreciate your support.

Shawn

Shawn Dooley
State Representative, 9th Norfolk
Medfield, Millis, Norfolk, Plainville, Walpole, & Wrentham.

and from Senator Richard Ross

Dear Jim:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent decision by Attorney General Maura Healey to unilaterally rule on the scope of the Assault Weapons Ban. Please know that I too was disappointed to learn of her actions, especially in light of the fact that she gave no notification to the Legislature in advance. We were informed of it through the media, and had numerous questions as to whether or not she followed protocols and more importantly, had the authority to take such action.

From what we in the Senate Republican Caucus have been able to ascertain, it appears that the AG does have the authority to issue a clarifying statement of guidance on preexisting law. The AG used her authority to notify gun dealers in the state about what qualifies and meets the criteria for legal and illegal firearms. Though the sale of assault weapons have been banned in Massachusetts since 1998, I do believe that there needs to be more clarification on what firearms constitute “copycat” and “duplicate” assault weapons so that citizens and gun dealers are not unknowingly breaking the law. This can be done while we are able to close loopholes and clarify the scope of the law.

Law abiding citizens should not find themselves in such a serious predicament between legality and illegality overnight. The rights of legal gun owners must be protected and therefore it is imperative that the Attorney General clarify what her ruling means for those who believed they were legally purchasing firearms on or before July 20th.

It is unfortunate that there was not more communication between the Attorney General, the legislature and the citizens before this announcement. If there had been I am certain the state would not be facing as much ambiguity as it is now.

The Attorney General’s office has set-up hotlines for anyone who wishes to call and express any concerns or questions. Gun dealers who have questions about compliance can call (617) 963-2775. For all other questions or comments, constituents can call the Consumer Assistance and Response Division hotline at (617) 727-8400. There is a web page where you can find the letter the Attorney General sent, the enforcement notice, and answers to some frequently asked questions: http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/awbe.html.

As always, please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have as well.

Sincerely,

Richard Ross

Last edited:
Seems to me like the ones that can produce an original thought agree it's BS. The others are waiting to see which way the wind blows.......

The nice thing about being a RINO in MA is that they can count on the Dem vote in the next election.

Richard Ross (-R. State Senator for Norfolk, Bristol, Middlesex) responded (or his office person did) within about four minutes of my post to his page on Facebook:

I am extremely disappointed in the actions of the AG. We had no notice of this and she has given us no more information on her move than what is in the media. We are trying to get some clarification now.

One of you smart people should get one of those shaded interactive maps of the state going so we can keep track of who is standing where.

Ok, finally heard from another Rep - same stuff I suppose:

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, we've been getting inundated with calls and emails like yours from a lot of people who are very concerned about the AG's move to re-interpret the AWB. For the record I'm entirely against this action and believe, as you do, that it is little more than political grandstanding. Moreover it will do nothing to stop gun violence as statistics show that rifles are seldom used in these crimes.

I'm working with a group of other State Representatives that feel as we do and we've written a letter to the AG requesting that she rescind her enforcement order. We are in the process of gathering signatures on this letter and we expect to have those by tomorrow. The more signatures we get the more weight this letter will have so please encourage anyone you know to write to their State Rep and State Senators and encourage them to sign on.

We will be working on gathering more support tomorrow when we meet in formal session.

Sincerely,

Lenny Mirra

I'm glad to hear that.
I've spoke to him before and he's a good guy and a shooter himself.

Both or my reps Ryan Fattman and Kevin Kuros have posted on facebook that they are with us. Not sure if Ryan will be outside at the rally but he invited people to come into his office before and after the rally to talk with him.

Received a response from Josh
Don,

Thanks for your message. Like you I am just learning about this abrupt change in interpretation. No advance notice was given and the legislature is in recess this week due to the RNC.

My initial take is that a change so sweeping should not have been done without proper communication and public hearings, especially since this law has been on the books for I believe 18 years now. Some immediate questions spring to mind: Are the weapons someone bought legally now felonious?, How can I get them renewed legally if they are felonious? Will I be grandfathered in?, What can gun retailers sell now?

We are reaching out to the AG to get clarification and a better handle on what kind of impact this may have. My staff has already spoken to the leaders in our Sportsmen's Caucus and they are also taking up the issue. I will continue to follow it closely.

He is pro 2A

- - - Updated - - -

Received a response from Josh
Don,

Thanks for your message. Like you I am just learning about this abrupt change in interpretation. No advance notice was given and the legislature is in recess this week due to the RNC.

My initial take is that a change so sweeping should not have been done without proper communication and public hearings, especially since this law has been on the books for I believe 18 years now. Some immediate questions spring to mind: Are the weapons someone bought legally now felonious?, How can I get them renewed legally if they are felonious? Will I be grandfathered in?, What can gun retailers sell now?

We are reaching out to the AG to get clarification and a better handle on what kind of impact this may have. My staff has already spoken to the leaders in our Sportsmen's Caucus and they are also taking up the issue. I will continue to follow it closely.

He is pro 2A

I think Keating gets an "F" on gun rights from both GOAL and the NRA but this is an election year so I'm sure he'll "blow smoke up our asses". Mark Alliegro, who in my opinion has the best chance of beating him in Novemeber, is firmly pro-gun and has already come out in writing against the AG.

I've heard crickets from all my elected officials. I only got a form letter from warren, the same old bullshit about "gun violence".

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Reply from my rep Tom Calter:
Joe. I'm on board. Meeting with my colleagues this afternoon to plan our strategy. Her actions establish a dangerous precedent. Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spoke to the chief of staff for Newton senator Cynthia Creem. He stated that the AG had the right to interpret the law as she sees fit.

I said that it was a political stunt, as we had no rifle crime to speak of for the last two decades. I said I was displeased with the way this
was rammed in right before a recess. He said he had heard there may be court case to address this issue. Senator Creem of course is anti gun
in every way shape and form, so there will be no help from her whatsoever.

I'm glad to hear that.
I've spoke to him before and he's a good guy and a shooter himself.

Can we get a copy of that letter so we can see who signed it. Lots of people say they are 2A, lets see if they act on it. I have asked my reps, I want to see if they followed signing it.

Hi TinRobotBoy:

Thank you for reaching out to me regarding Attorney General Healey’s recent announcement of her new enforcement measures of the Massachusetts assault weapons ban.

Please know that I was not pleased to hear of her announcement via the press without her consulting the Legislature as to the intent or parameters with which the AG’s authority falls in enforcing the decades old assault weapon ban in Massachusetts.

I’ve consistently worked to find a medium with which any gun related legislation respects the 2nd amendment rights of our law abiding citizens while ensuring public safety, especially through the approach of comprehensive law enforcement efforts to round up illegal guns and prosecute those who commit crimes with guns, owned legally or not. I am awaiting the AG’s response to Governor Baker’s request for clarification of her enforcement directive and I am reviewing a proposal from Senator Donald Humason of Westfield that would address the many concerns that I have received from constituents and taxpayers in our district.

I am hopeful that we can address those concerns in a manner and if there are to be any changes in our gun laws they should come from the Legislature and signed by the Governor.

Best Regards,
Jim Dwyer

Can we get a copy of that letter so we can see who signed it. Lots of people say they are 2A, lets see if they act on it. I have asked my reps, I want to see if they followed signing it.

That was originally my response to an email I sent to Lenny. I have since replied thanking him for his support and asking for more information on that letter. I will share here whatever I get back from him.

Petr

Updating my earlier post.

Rep Aaron Vega responded to me via email twice today.
In the first he requested additional information on the group's stance against the "new interpretation of the current laws on the books".
In the second he states he is reviewing the AG's interpretation and it's impact on lawful gun owners. He goes on to say he wants support lawful gun owners while avoiding mass shootings.

Hi TinRobotBoy:

Thank you for reaching out to me regarding Attorney General Healey’s recent announcement of her new enforcement measures of the Massachusetts assault weapons ban.

Please know that I was not pleased to hear of her announcement via the press without her consulting the Legislature as to the intent or parameters with which the AG’s authority falls in enforcing the decades old assault weapon ban in Massachusetts.

I’ve consistently worked to find a medium with which any gun related legislation respects the 2nd amendment rights of our law abiding citizens while ensuring public safety, especially through the approach of comprehensive law enforcement efforts to round up illegal guns and prosecute those who commit crimes with guns, owned legally or not. I am awaiting the AG’s response to Governor Baker’s request for clarification of her enforcement directive and I am reviewing a proposal from Senator Donald Humason of Westfield that would address the many concerns that I have received from constituents and taxpayers in our district.

I am hopeful that we can address those concerns in a manner and if there are to be any changes in our gun laws they should come from the Legislature and signed by the Governor.

Best Regards,
Jim Dwyer

got the identical response from dwyer myself this morning. at least he had my name in it, not that i thought he'd actually write individual replies.......

I have not written yet, I am still researching the possibility if a MA Governor can issue an executive order to nullify or delay an AG directive.

On Jul 22, 2016, at 7:35 AM, Fernandes, John - Rep. (HOU) <[email protected]> wrote:

Xxxxxx

Thank you for your email. First let me say that I have supported 2nd amendment rights throughout my life and term of office.

I appreciate your concern and have reached out to the AG for information on the action. So you understand, the AG is not attempting to add new guns to the list of weapons not allowed to be sold in Massachusetts. She is advising dealers that certain slightly modified assault weapons are still, in fact, assault weapons and assault weapons such as the AR type and copycats of the same are in fact are actually banned for sale in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts Legislation does ban the sale of assault weapons and the AG and EOPPPS have the authority to determine what weapons coming on the market fit that legislative description.

Sellers of anything we ban are quite sophisticated at modifying the product in a way they think takes the product outside the law, which in fact are still in. We see it regularly with synthetic drugs that are killing our kids.

I am hopeful you would agree that we should not allow a manufacturer to tweak an assault weapon to make it look a bit different when it’s really just a knock off or copy cat weapon.

So, I need to find out if this action falls into that space. The governor, not exactly a gun control nut, came out yesterday in support of the AG action, and I assume that he has reviewed it.

Thanks John

From Senator Brian Joyce:

Dear ,

Thank you for your email regarding Attorney General Maura Healy’s actions regarding assault weapons in Massachusetts. I appreciate hearing from you on this matter.

The formal legislative session is ending on July 31. However, I expect a bill will be introduced next session regarding this issue. I encourage you to contact your Senator and Representative in January regarding this issue. As I will not be running for reelection, I will not have the opportunity to act on this matter.

Thank you again for your email. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns.

Best,
Brian

From Representative William Galvin:

Dear ,

Thanks for passing along your thoughts on Attorney General Healey's notice to Massachusetts gun sellers and manufacturers that her office is increasing enforcement of the state's assault weapon ban. There has been much debate and controversy on whether this action is within the scope of the AG's authority under the Constitution to do so.

Proponents believe that Healey's actions do not create a new law or set of regulations but heighten enforcement of an existing statute on the state's assault weapons ban. Opponents believe her actions are unconstitutional. Before I make a determination on the legality issue, I will wait until Constitutional Law attorneys and the Massachusetts Courts have a chance to issue their decisions.

In the meantime, I am sure that this issue will generate much debate with valid points brought out by both sides.

Again, thank you for keeping me aware of your concerns and feel free to let me know if you need an update.

Best regards,

Bill Galvin

Back
Top Bottom