Politician's Responses to AG Overeach

From Senator Brian Joyce:

Dear ,

Thank you for your email regarding Attorney General Maura Healy’s actions regarding assault weapons in Massachusetts. I appreciate hearing from you on this matter.

The formal legislative session is ending on July 31. However, I expect a bill will be introduced next session regarding this issue. I encourage you to contact your Senator and Representative in January regarding this issue. As I will not be running for reelection, I will not have the opportunity to act on this matter.

Thank you again for your email. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns.

Best,
Brian

Wait til January. That peice of shit needs to resign asap[angry]

I read that. He has no intention of acting or working. He is basically say not my problem while cashing state checks.
I think he's being pragmatic and acknowledging that nothing will happen until the next legislative session, and since he's leaving he's got no pull

Updating my earlier post.

Rep Aaron Vega responded to me via email twice today.
In the first he requested additional information on the group's stance against the "new interpretation of the current laws on the books".
In the second he states he is reviewing the AG's interpretation and it's impact on lawful gun owners. He goes on to say he wants support lawful gun owners while avoiding mass shootings.
If he really wants to eliminate mass shootings then he should work to eliminate government-imposed no-gun zones, and to make private property owners liable for mass shootings that take place on their property if they enforce a no-gun policy.

I personally met with Rep Steven Howit (R). Senator James Timiltys chief of staff. They are obviously upset and against the AG's actions. Rep Jay Barrows wasn't in his office and hasn't replied to my email yet but I was assured he stands with us. These are people we need to keep in office. Even if Sen Timilty is a Dem, he has probably done more for us than some Republicans

Any value in hitting their facebooks demanding an answer to why they have not signed onto the letter demanding answers?

I have sent an email to Norfolk County Rep. Jeff Roy...he has read my email and to date just silence.

He's a piece of shit. Please continue to let him know. I plan to call his office daily. We all should continue too.

My rep and senator are on board with us.....

He really is...he didn't even pull any political bs and just claim there was nothing he could do, instead he came out and gave her his full support! Unreal!

I have sent an email to Norfolk County Rep. Jeff Roy...he has read my email and to date just silence.

Jeff is a mugwump. He's not going to jump till he sees which way the wind blows. My money is with him supporting Healey. He's supported every anti gun pos legislation yet. He's tight with McGovern and that's all you need to know.

just got this from Sen Richard Ross-R (Wrentham). He was at the rally today.. Probably one of the most comprehensive responses yet.

Dear Vincent:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent decision by Attorney General Maura Healey to unilaterally rule on the scope of the Assault Weapons Ban. Please know that I too was disappointed to learn of her actions, especially in light of the fact that she gave no notification to the Legislature in advance. We were informed of it through the media, and had numerous questions as to whether or not she followed protocols and more importantly, had the authority to take such action.

From what we in the Senate Republican Caucus have been able to ascertain, it appears that the AG does have the authority to issue a clarifying statement of guidance on preexisting law. The AG used her authority to notify gun dealers in the state about what qualifies and meets the criteria for legal and illegal firearms. Though the sale of assault weapons have been banned in Massachusetts since 1998, I do believe that there needs to be more clarification on what firearms constitute “copycat” and “duplicate” assault weapons so that citizens and gun dealers are not unknowingly breaking the law. This can be done while we are able to close loopholes and clarify the scope of the law.

Law abiding citizens should not find themselves in such a serious predicament between legality and illegality overnight. The rights of legal gun owners must be protected and therefore it is imperative that the Attorney General clarify what her ruling means for those who believed they were legally purchasing firearms on or before July 20th.

It is unfortunate that there was not more communication between the Attorney General, the legislature and the citizens before this announcement. If there had been I am certain the state would not be facing as much ambiguity as it is now.
The Attorney General’s office has set-up hotlines for anyone who wishes to call and express any concerns or questions. Gun dealers who have questions about compliance can call (617) 963-2775. For all other questions or comments, constituents can call the Consumer Assistance and Response Division hotline at (617) 727-8400. There is a web page where you can find the letter the Attorney General sent, the enforcement notice, and answers to some frequently asked questions: http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/awbe.html.
As always, please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have as well.

Sincerely,
Richard Ross

Baker is strongly anti-gun, he fully support the AG. He's a total scumbag traitor
He's a piece of shit. Please continue to let him know. I plan to call his office daily. We all should continue too.

My rep and senator are on board with us.....
He really is...he didn't even pull any political bs and just claim there was nothing he could do, instead he came out and gave her his full support! Unreal!
Let it be know to all peoples throughout the land that Gov. Charles Duane Baker Jr. shall henceforth and forever be known as "1-Term Charlie Faker" (1TCF)

Last edited:
Jeff is a mugwump. He's not going to jump till he sees which way the wind blows. My money is with him supporting Healey. He's supported every anti gun pos legislation yet. He's tight with McGovern and that's all you need to know.

I talked to him yesterday and he was annoyed at the AG. That didn't translate into him signing the letter, however...

As I get older I find more time to fight for things I believe in and stand against things i don't like. If Jeff decides to ignore me I will not ignore him.

Last edited:
I talked to him yesterday and he was annoyed at the AG. That didn't translate into him signing the letter, however...
I emailed him as well, but no response yet. I'd imagine most of the legislature is mad... even the ones that support strict gun control. Whether they want stricter control or not, they do not want the AGO reinterpreting the MGL as she sees fit. They are the ones that make laws, not her. This is a direct challenge to their power and you know that doesn't sit well. If they are gonna control guns, they want it on their terms, not hers, that way they can look like "heroes" for protecting us all.

just got this from Sen Richard Ross-R (Wrentham). He was at the rally today.. Probably one of the most comprehensive responses yet.

Dear Vincent:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent decision by Attorney General Maura Healey to unilaterally rule on the scope of the Assault Weapons Ban. Please know that I too was disappointed to learn of her actions, especially in light of the fact that she gave no notification to the Legislature in advance. We were informed of it through the media, and had numerous questions as to whether or not she followed protocols and more importantly, had the authority to take such action.

From what we in the Senate Republican Caucus have been able to ascertain, it appears that the AG does have the authority to issue a clarifying statement of guidance on preexisting law. The AG used her authority to notify gun dealers in the state about what qualifies and meets the criteria for legal and illegal firearms. Though the sale of assault weapons have been banned in Massachusetts since 1998, I do believe that there needs to be more clarification on what firearms constitute “copycat” and “duplicate” assault weapons so that citizens and gun dealers are not unknowingly breaking the law. This can be done while we are able to close loopholes and clarify the scope of the law.

Law abiding citizens should not find themselves in such a serious predicament between legality and illegality overnight. The rights of legal gun owners must be protected and therefore it is imperative that the Attorney General clarify what her ruling means for those who believed they were legally purchasing firearms on or before July 20th.

It is unfortunate that there was not more communication between the Attorney General, the legislature and the citizens before this announcement. If there had been I am certain the state would not be facing as much ambiguity as it is now.
The Attorney General’s office has set-up hotlines for anyone who wishes to call and express any concerns or questions. Gun dealers who have questions about compliance can call (617) 963-2775. For all other questions or comments, constituents can call the Consumer Assistance and Response Division hotline at (617) 727-8400. There is a web page where you can find the letter the Attorney General sent, the enforcement notice, and answers to some frequently asked questions: http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/awbe.html.
As always, please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have as well.

Sincerely,
Richard Ross

This just sounds like he wants to codify Healey's new interpretation not roll it back to where it was.

iofneedle - can you let me know if you hear back from either of them, and I will do the same? Futile as it may be, I will plan to do an office visit if our emails are ignored. While rest of my family is a little more liberal, they too are appalled at what the Democrats have done.

iofneedle - can you let me know if you hear back from either of them, and I will do the same? Futile as it may be, I will plan to do an office visit if our emails are ignored. While rest of my family is a little more liberal, they too are appalled at what the Democrats have done.
We have an office in Westborough and Dykema is by far the most responsive of any rep we deal with.

While not my representative, Rep Paul Mark responded to my email with this. From the sound of it there is another letter (from Fernandes) going to Healey soon. We'll have to keep our eyes peeled for that one.

I promised to share his response with those who live in his district, so Western MA people take notice.

I did not write back to you because you don't live in my district. But I am also outraged and I am signing on to Rep. Fernandes letter, which is similar to the one already distributed.

I do not like that this action was taken with no notice, no opportunity for public comment or public hearings, and with no chance for a legislative committee oversight hearing. I am hoping the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security will hold an oversight hearing in the near future so she can explain her thinking, rationale, and actions.

Paul Mark
State Representative
2nd Berkshire District
Vice Chair-Committee on Rules

Representing 16 Communities in Berkshire and Franklin Counties.

Massachusetts State House
Room 166
Boston, MA 02133
(617) 722-2692
District Office-
(413) 464-5635
http://www.representativemark.com

I've written to Spilka twice with crickets in response. My local rep is a piece of shit, too, apparently.

While not my representative, Rep Paul Mark responded to my email with this. From the sound of it there is another letter (from Fernandes) going to Healey soon. We'll have to keep our eyes peeled for that one.

I promised to share his response with those who live in his district, so Western MA people take notice.

"... I am hoping the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security will hold an oversight hearing in the near future so she can explain her thinking, rationale, and actions."

It's clear from the the furors statements she wants a national ban and redefine MGL to expand the vast majority of SA firearms into banned "AW".
http://m.patriotledger.com/opinion/20160622/maura-healey-end-access-to-assault-weapons-for-civilians
"...
my office is working hard to strengthen our assault weapons ban, improve our background check system, and ensure that regulations are up to date and gun dealers are obeying the law. Yet without action by Congress, beginning with the reinstatement of a strong assault weapons ban ..."

More to come I'm sure with each new tragedy brought on by an administration that promoted the terrorism and violence, and says we are all
"significantly more safe now".

"... I am hoping the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security will hold an oversight hearing in the near future so she can explain her thinking, rationale, and actions."

It's clear from the the furors statements she wants a national ban and redefine MGL to expand the vast majority of SA firearms into banned "AW".
http://m.patriotledger.com/opinion/20160622/maura-healey-end-access-to-assault-weapons-for-civilians
"...
my office is working hard to strengthen our assault weapons ban, improve our background check system, and ensure that regulations are up to date and gun dealers are obeying the law. Yet without action by Congress, beginning with the reinstatement of a strong assault weapons ban ..."

More to come I'm sure with each new tragedy brought on by an administration that promoted the terrorism and violence, and says we are all
"significantly more safe now".

From her bio she also seems to be a fan of microstamping, so that will be the next step.

Finally heard from my rep:
Hi Kevin,

Sorry I was not able to get back to you sooner but as you can imagine my office received many calls and e-mails on this issue so I'm still getting caught up.

I agree completely that the Attorney General overstepped her authority when she issued the enforcement notice last week. It's important that our constitutional legislative process is followed. You saw the letter a group of legislators sent to the AG this Saturday expressing our concerns and opposition. I'm not going to end my involvement there and will continue to use all means available to me correct this development.

-Jon

Representative Zlotnik
Second Worcester District
Ashburnham, Gardner, Westminster, Winchendon
I plan to write him back and urge him to support Sen. Humason's bill.

Back
Top Bottom