Polishing a Nickle Plated Gun

Recently acquired a nickle plated gun and it is in pretty rough shape. Any suggestions on polishing/buffing the nickle plating?

I thought you nickel plated your buns from the title. If that were the case, I would recommend a diaper cloth.

On a gun tho, I would be careful and use the least abrasive product you can that will get it done by hand.

You can't do anything if the nickel is chipped or if it's pitted. If anything, it will just rip and hold the fibers of the polish cloth. I had one with a less than stellar finish and what I did was to give it a good scrub with Mpro7 or simple green and a toothbrush. Don't use hoppes it'll attack the finish. Once it's clean, wipe it down with a cloth and use it to hold. The oils from your hands and fingers will stick to the metal. Take some Flitz or some light abrasive polish and go easy. This will shine up and get rid of the cloudy haze. Once you're ok with the polish, take some good car wax and give it a light coat. That should protect whatever finish that's left from getting any worse. Touch it up with polish and wax as needed.
I don't know what everyone else does but that works for me.

Geez.. There's a Scrivner behind every corner now..

Ok, one more time...
I would think that a nice butter or egg wash would give that bun a nice glow..

Recently acquired a nickle plated gun and it is in pretty rough shape. Any suggestions on polishing/buffing the nickle plating?

Nicke is is a plating which means that it's a physical coating on top of the metal.
It's extremely smooth so polishing it has to be done with a lot of care (that you don't polish through the Nickle and down to the frame). If you want to attempt it, hand polishing is probably best over high speed buffing wheels unless you use a very high grit compound with very light pressure.

If there are pits or it is peeling, then you can't polish it. You'll be stripping it if you do.

Use Flitz and the Flitz cloth and keep Hoppes #9 away from it.

I picked up this Colt Cobra which had some cloudy areas on it and it cleaned up nice with Flitz.

DSC_1257.jpg

Last edited:
Do not use any solven containing Amonia on it. Amonia attacks the copper layer under the nickel and will lift it. While the "coating" might look perfect they may be some pin holes in the nickel.

I reccomend Ed's Red on any Nickel firearm.

Hope that helps,

Back
Top Bottom