• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Polished charging handle

So tommorow I'm going to do this mod to my wasr-10, and I was wondering what I can put on the handle after to keep the metal from rusting.

I did the same thing with my SAR-1, and other than periodic cleaning and oiling, have done nothing else. Must be something about the type of metal used.

Now, go shooting in the rain and you'll see plenty of rust spots show up everywhere else! But as long as you clean and oil right afterwards, no harm, no foul.

Got to love the AK's - couple of weekends ago I attended a two-day carbine course set up by Cross-X in Worcester. Ran over 1200 rounds without a stoppage.

If only the AR guys could say the same thing.... (he,he,he).

You're good, MrTwigg! I forgot about that thread. To date no rust has ever shown up.

Same here. I'd have never found that one in a search.
My charging handle still looks great. I used an angle die grinder with 3M Roloc discs going from brown for removal of machining marks to maroon for fine finish polishing.
Took me about 15 minutes but thats with the magic of air powered tools.

Best thing I can tell to keep them things from rusting is wiping them down with Corrosion X!! I just HAPPEN to be a dealer too! HAHAHA!!! Let me know if you need any. On the stain note, that stain recipe in that link is crazy complicated! Never thought of using RIT dye before. One thing to note, any red stain historically has a tendency to fade fairly quickly, into a brownish color. The new stains and such are better, but just be careful and get good quality. I fit and finished an Ironwood Designs walnut AK stock for a budy of mine and THAT my friend came out SWEET!!!

Back
Top Bottom