Help, can't get roll pin in when installing extended latch in charging handle on AR10

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I got a new DPMS GII .308 rifle, and am trying to install an extended latch on the charging handle.
I pushed the roll pin out and am swapping in the new latch, but I have no idea how to get a roll pin
back in. I guess there are some starter tool to help, but once you start it, then what? Do you whack it with
a punch, or try and squash it in a vice? Anyone done this before? I've botched three roll pins already trying to
do this. I ordered a bag of them, but this is the most frustrating thing I've done on an AR15 platform [frown][frown][angry]

Chamfer the edge you will start into the hole and tap gently. A roll pin punch helps but is not necessary. Just keep things straight.

When I installed my Badger Ordinance latch, I used the punch that I used to drive it out as a guide to hold everything together, then held the roll pin with needle nose pliers and used a tap hammer to drive the pin back in.

I think previously I had done it the same way but used a larger punch and a hammer to drive it back in.

Sorry, I'm sure you've tried this already.

I'd check Youtube for ideas.

Back
Top Bottom