AK Gas Tube Charging Handle

Is this thing the answer to a question that nobody asked?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XPAC01010211

XPAC01010211.jpg

I can't see complicating-up a simple rifle with something like this.

i'd buy it if it didn't cost as much as it does. why wouldn't you want your AK charging handle to be as convenient as HKs especially if it's also functions reliably? i was toying with this long ago, thinking of jerry-rigging one of my saigas in same fashion, didn't even know there is something like that on the market already.

- - - Updated - - -

They make a top cover that has a handle on it so you can pull the bolt back with it too.

yeah, i saw those, and ergonomics on them is not as good as the one on the gas tube. it's too close to the body, if you try doing it w/o breaking cheek weld you might be hitting yourself in the face with own hand.

Last edited:
i'd buy it if it didn't cost as much as it does. why wouldn't you want your AK charging handle to be as convenient as HKs especially if it's also functions reliably? i was toying with this long ago, thinking of jerry-rigging one of my saigas in same fashion, didn't even know there is something like that on the market already.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, i saw those, and ergonomics on them is not as good as the one on the gat tube. it's too close to the body, if you try doing it w/o breaking cheek weld you might be hitting yourself in the face with own hand.

Tactical face palm.

I figure if you really have a hard on to do it with the gas tube you could just make a slot add a nub.
Making some thing that folds would take more work .

i like the folding aspect of it. making it not folded and reciprocating would be really easy but also hardly an improvement.

if you wanna go non-reciprocating you gotta increase diameter of the gas tube so you can stick a sleeve inside that allows gas piston back and forth through.
then welding a mount point for a handle on the sleeve would be an easy one. probably can even repurpose regular HK flip up handle with some modifications.

folding mechanism would not be the toughest part of the work here
hardest part would be making new gas tube of enlarged diameter. as far as i can see there are some lathe work and milling work would be needed.
hell with it, i would do it if i had time and no other projects to work on.

Last edited:
You poor right handed people.....being a lefty the Ak bolt appears to have been made for us.....being a lefty switching over to the right doesn't seem to be a issue either....
I don't see much use for this gizmo from either side...mho

Back
Top Bottom