Police: Man firing at 2nd man at PA gun range killed by 3rd man

I took the wife to the range today. We had a blast! With that said, regardless of what I’m shooting and where, I’m always carrying.

Crazy story, glad there was a third party there. There are often times I’m at the range with next to no one. Hate to think how I’d fair in a similar situation. 😕

An d I thought it was going to be someone shooting the range Fudd but it was a millennial shooting another millennial and an older definitely non-fudd put an end to it.

I took the wife to the range today. We had a blast! With that said, regardless of what I’m shooting and where, I’m always carrying.

Crazy story, glad there was a third party there. There are often times I’m at the range with next to no one. Hate to think how I’d fair in a similar situation. 😕
How was the muzzle rise with those gunballs

If you are shooting a rifle alone, never leave it on the bench while changing your targets.

If I recall, a few years back, a man in Mass was attacked with his own gun by a man hiding at the range waiting for a chance to steal a gun.
The victim left his gun unattended at the bench.

If you are shooting a rifle alone, never leave it on the bench while changing your targets.

If I recall, a few years back, a man in Mass was attacked with his own gun by a man hiding at the range waiting for a chance to steal a gun.
I recall hearing that a while ago also.

I wonder if it was a public range that does rentals or a private club? I used to shoot at Bob's in Salisbury sometimes a long time ago, but after a while I stopped going cuz I just kind of got an uneasy feeling being around that many people I knew were just coming in to rent for the first time and not having any experience.

Would you happen to know what range it was or have a link to the story? Just did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

I unfortunately do this all the time. I can see locking it away for infrequent target changes, but there are times I consider myself to be alone (early weekday mornings) and sighting in a red dot at 35 or 50 yards, and walking out there every 10 rounds. I suppose the short answer is a spotting scope, multiple targets, and due diligence.

I suppose, ‘Head on a swivel’ is all times, not just when you think it necessary.

who ever woulda thunk you would need to defend yourself at the range

I've thought about it for 20 years or more. What better place for a criminal to grab a bunch of guns and ammo than a range with a lone shooter at a bench, hearing impaired by hearing protection, vision impaired by glasses?

I never shoot at a public range alone and always make sure who I'm with has a sidearm on.

who ever woulda thunk you would need to defend yourself at the range
Who woulda NOT thunk it, and been prepared for the possibility?

I've been in that situation a few times. I take the bolt down range with me.

Would you happen to know what range it was or have a link to the story? Just did a quick search and couldn't find anything.
I tried searching for the story.

The key words needed to find the story are too generic to narrow it down.

Gun range stole shot - I didn't come up with much.

I mostly shoot alone. I often leave my firearm unattended at the bench. I usually look around to make sure no one is around and make my way down. Electric ear muffs also help with hearing people behind you. Going as far as removing my bolt every time i go down range i think is a bit much. Id spend more time doing that than shooting. If you are that paranoid about where you are shooting perhaps its best to find a different range. Be aware of your surroundings and always make sure you have a sidearm with you. Now if i was shooing 200+ yards that is a different story. I would certainly bring the rifle with me down range.

Will always carry when on the indoor or outdoor range, Rifle gets slung when checking targets....
Never know when that 12 point buck will suddenly run across the range.

I never left a firearm unlocked or with any ammo when going downrange if I was alone or with unknowns. Best to carry the rifle and mag for added insurance.

This 100%, I at least take the bolt out and carry it with me. If I have multiple long guns they only come out of the truck one at a time and the truck stays locked. I also always carry a full size handgun owb when I'm at the range. You never know when some whack job might come out of the woods looking for a freebie or some nut job might snap and pull a chris kyle style shooting on the firing line. As much as we all love guns, and think the range is a safe space, still gotta worry about mental health issues and scumbags, even at a private club, shit bags don't care about gates they'll sneak in on foot.

I mostly shoot alone. I often leave my firearm unattended at the bench. I usually look around to make sure no one is around and make my way down. Electric ear muffs also help with hearing people behind you. Going as far as removing my bolt every time i go down range i think is a bit much. Id spend more time doing that than shooting. If you are that paranoid about where you are shooting perhaps its best to find a different range. Be aware of your surroundings and always make sure you have a sidearm with you. Now if i was shooing 200+ yards that is a different story. I would certainly bring the rifle with me down range.
Or just get a good spotting scope? I usually only walk down two or three times in a range trip to set up targets and take them down at the 100yd range. Taking the bolt with me is no big deal. On the 400 yard range at my club I usually just drive down to the berm so rifle goes in the truck with me.

I wonder if it was a public range that does rentals or a private club? I used to shoot at Bob's in Salisbury sometimes a long time ago, but after a while I stopped going cuz I just kind of got an uneasy feeling being around that many people I knew were just coming in to rent for the first time and not having any experience.
Gun ranges on state game lands are open to anyone that has a hunting license or a range permit($35) and they are not under any kind of surveillance(in PA, that is).
You're on your own. Thee is nothing there but benches and targets and a few barrels. No RSOs, no wardens. All of them set up the same, from Pittsburgh to Poconos.
That's why I always chose to go with at least one other person to the range. There was one year where a couple thugs were waiting in the bushes and then stole the firearms of the folks walking down range. Troopers got them in end.

Cam Edwards picked that story up at Bearing Arms, commenting that while he’s "... seen more than a few armed citizen stories involving owners or employees of gun stores who’ve used their firearms in self-defense while on the job, this is the first defensive gun use at a gun range that I can recall."

No reason to not be armed at a gun range, nonetheless.

Or just get a good spotting scope? I usually only walk down two or three times in a range trip to set up targets and take them down at the 100yd range. Taking the bolt with me is no big deal. On the 400 yard range at my club I usually just drive down to the berm so rifle goes in the truck with me.
I enjoy walking so walking down here and there is not a big deal for me either. I mostly shoot 50-100 yards so to me its not a concern.

An d I thought it was going to be someone shooting the range Fudd but it was a millennial shooting another millennial and an older definitely non-fudd put an end to it.
It was in PA so probably all of them were Fudds.

Back
Top Bottom