• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

police issued firearm

I have just been wondering about the differences from state to state and city to city about what firearms police are issued. are some allowed to carry the firearm of their choice? post what city and state you are from and what firearm your local department carries. do you think its a good choice or would you change it?

I believe springfield (MA) police department carries the m&p 40. back in I believe 2010 smith and Wesson gave the spd about 600 M&P 40. I am not sure if they have changed from 2010 to now. I don't recall hearing anything about it. I have no experience with an m&p 40 so I can not comment on if it would be my choice or not

Rule of thumb is the bigger and more urban the police department, the less likely it is they can choose what they want to carry. It's also more likely they can carry what they choose if they're responsible for buying their own gun, which is a common practice with part-time officers.

I also know of exceptions to all the above, but every agency is different. That's just a trend I've noticed.

Most departments issue a weapon.. you then have to qualify (which is basically a joke). Some departments also have an approved list. Gil MA i believe has this. You basically can carry anything they approve that you can also qualify on.

Most departments I'm familiar with issue weapons. Lots of Sig 229 .40cal, M&P or Glock. 40 seems to be common as does 9mm with a new carrying 45.

My town athol, MA they carry S&W M&P 40. I spoke with a couple officers, they seem to enjoy it. And I know that back in 2012 not sure about now but that the DOC carried them as well

MOLON LABE
~All Hope is Lost in Translation~

My town's previous chief switched the PD from Sig 2340 to M&P 45. He likes .45 - a lot. He would have gone with Sig 220's, but they were going to cost significantly more than the M&P.

We carry M&P 45 C (4" bbl... 10 Round Mags). I am the gun guy in department, but it wasn't my call. I wanted G17s, but got over-ruled because 45onestopkillmanstopperlol was the flavor of the month from my Sgt. When I get another crack at this, we're dumping them. They aren't a bad gun, but I'm a capacity and placement guy. We'll be fine with a good bonded 9mm round.

We used to let people choose between G22 and G23. I'll probably do same thing with G19 and G17.

Back
Top Bottom