Police in Mass

I believe that I read on another forum that many police agencies in Mass do not allow, or issue restricted licenses to their officers for off duty carry. Is this true?

Not that I have ever heard. MA is a weird place to be a cop though. The state police think they are better than the city cops, the city cops think they are better than the small town cops and they all think they are better than the environmental or federal cops.

I have heard of part time cops getting a work restriction on their LTC if they live in a red town, but never a full timer. All the full timers have LEOSA coverage anyway so they don't legally need an LTC to carry concealed.

I believe that I read on another forum that many police agencies in Mass do not allow, or issue restricted licenses to their officers for off duty carry. Is this true?

I don't think that "many" police agencies do this, but some do. One of note is Brookline.

I've been wondering, are there some sort of statistics regarding how supportive or non-supportive the Mass cops are towards legally armed residents?

If i were a cop, i'd want more law-abiding armed folks around. I'm going to guess a bunch of cops are against it and the rest are supportive. Any statistics though?

There have been some surveys of police nationwide, and it is my understanding that most are supportive of the 2nd Amendment. Whether that is representative of MA cops is unclear to me.

One thing to realize is that most cops are NOT gunnies. I've spoken with several police officers in Eastern MA about this and they agree that only about 10% of their colleagues are shooters (and that includes the SWAT guys). Police recruits come from their communities and most people in MA are anti-gun. So I suspect there are more than a few street cops in MA who are anti-gun.

If i were a cop, i'd want more law-abiding armed folks around. I'm going to guess a bunch of cops are against it and the rest are supportive. Any statistics though?

I don't think that is what they teach you at the MA Police brainwashing academy.

It's mostly the chiefs and other "chairborne rangers" who are most anti-gun in MA. The boots on the street will vary but largely aren't anti-gun.

However it is strictly the "chairborne rangers" who matter as they are the vocal org that bends legislators ears regularly, have paid lobbyists, and stand with local politicians at every opportunity.

Len, I trust that was the case with cops back when you were active. But do you really think that is still true today?

The cops that I deal with are pro2a, but they are gunnies so my sample is not representative of the population as a whole.

There have been some surveys of police nationwide, and it is my understanding that most are supportive of the 2nd Amendment. Whether that is representative of MA cops is unclear to me.

One thing to realize is that most cops are NOT gunnies. I've spoken with several police officers in Eastern MA about this and they agree that only about 10% of their colleagues are shooters (and that includes the SWAT guys). Police recruits come from their communities and most people in MA are anti-gun. So I suspect there are more than a few street cops in MA who are anti-gun.

It's surprising to me that most cops are not gunnies. Not a perfect comparison but IMO it's sort of like a diver who's not into swimming.

It's mostly the chiefs and other "chairborne rangers" who are most anti-gun in MA. The boots on the street will vary but largely aren't anti-gun.

However it is strictly the "chairborne rangers" who matter as they are the vocal org that bends legislators ears regularly, have paid lobbyists, and stand with local politicians at every opportunity.

This is what i was guessing. If i was a street cop i'd want more armed law-abiding people in my corner.

I don't think that is what they teach you at the MA Police brainwashing academy.

Lol.

My neighbor looked at me quizzically when I started talking about guns and I really don't know sh!t compared to most here.
They sure know how to pull you over 50 different ways. They want to be lawyers is my guess.

I'm amazed at the political power police chiefs wield in Mass.

Such is unheard of in middle america. Even big city chiefs outside of shitcago know better.

We also have sheriffs that mean something and are popularly elected. They know who butters their bread.

It's surprising to me that most cops are not gunnies. Not a perfect comparison but IMO it's sort of like a diver who's not into swimming.
I've chatted with veteran cops from several departments, including Nashua PD, Boston PD, LA County Sheriff's Department, a MetroWest suburban PD, etc. They all told me basically the same thing:

Some (many?) cops today never fired a gun before they got to police academy. Most of them will retire without ever having fired a shot except at the range. Their gun is one more heavy thing they carry around on a heavy belt, but very rarely use. Many only fire their gun at qualification, once or twice a year. Some cops are very safe gun handlers and very good shots, but they probably didn't get that way based on their training at the academy. Many cops are not very safe gun handlers and not very good shots.

A firearm training officer at small MetroWest PD (~25 officers) told me that whenever they get a new officer, the first thing he does is take the new officer on a tour of the police station, showing them the four negligent discharges that have occurred in the station over the years.

I will say that I think your analogy isn't correct. Whenever a diver is in the water, he is swimming. 99.99% of most cops' time on patrol, their gun is in their holster.

I'm amazed at the political power police chiefs wield in Mass.

Such is unheard of in middle america. Even big city chiefs outside of shitcago know better.

We also have sheriffs that mean something and are popularly elected. They know who butters their bread.

In Mass., most, if not all Chiefs are appointed / hired by the local government (town or city), and will reflect the attitudes of the Board of Selectmen or City Council. In the "Moonbat" towns, you'll get a Chief that's in accord with that opinion. In a more rural (read: less Liberal) locale, you'll get a different result.

As for Sheriffs, in Mass, nobody knows what they do (actually, they mostly run the jails and transport the prisoners to trial), and in that respect are a non-issue. AFAIK, they can't issue a license. Since that authority is granted to the CoP, and there is no "unincoroprated" space between the towns, all Mass residents live in a town or city.

As for Sheriffs, in Mass, nobody knows what they do (actually, they mostly run the jails and transport the prisoners to trial), and in that respect are a non-issue. AFAIK, they can't issue a license. Since that authority is granted to the CoP, and there is no "unincoroprated" space between the towns, all Mass residents live in a town or city.

I believe even if there were, it would fall to the state police to issue it. IIRC the law says if there is no police chief it falls to the staties.

Just took a couple school officers (unarmed) shooting last weekend. Neither has even held a gun since the academy.

Jose,

Technically the sheriff's are the highest law enforcement officials in the county, the only thing is that county government has been eliminated in at least half of Massachusetts 14 counties. Funding for sheriff's offices is done by the state. Sheriff's are popularly elected. Somewhere in our history, however, sheriff's became more interested in running jails which created patronage jobs both both for employment of friends and relatives and for vendors who were also friends and relatives supplying the jails. Sheriff's are today regarded more as correctional officials, and there is a point of contention between police departments and sheriff's departments.

In some small communities that only have one or two person police departments, the Mass State Police takes over the patrol responsibilities when those officers are not on duty. This is a role that the Sheriff would assume in most other states.

The fact that there is no "unincorporated" county land" is another reason as MH explained. Everyone in Mass lives in either a town or a city, even if they are twenty miles in the country from the town center, it is still incorporated. I personally know of no other state that is organized like this, but I could be mistaken.

Historically, in MA the county governments were perhaps the most corrupt government entities in the state. They were dens of completely mismanaged patronage.

As others have said, there is no unincorporated land in MA. In addition, the towns are generally very parochial. Each town wants control over its schools, police, fire, etc., so there are very few regional entities, outside of a couple regional high school districts (which are typically just 2 or 3 towns). Overlaying county government over that didn't add anything other than opportunities for graft.

As a result, most county government has been eliminated with the exception of the Sheriff's Department, which, as Mark056 stated, basically just runs the jails.

For a cop to be a gun enthusiast is about as logical as being a ballpoint pen, flashlight, or handcuffs collector. It's just another tool.

Dunno man, if i was on a job where my life potentially depended on my ability in using a weapon, i'd certainly be a weapon enthusiast. Call me paranoid but if i knew there is a possibility that someone attacks me with a fire/bladed or some other deadly weapon, i'd want to be really sure that my skills in using my weapons are high. Not all cops get into deadly physical confrontations but the possibility is always there. Sure, you could have a slim chance to protect your life with a flashlight or even a pen but a gun gives you a much better chance.

For a cop to be a gun enthusiast is about as logical as being a ballpoint pen, flashlight, or handcuffs collector. It's just another tool.
I'm definitely a gun enthusiast, I collect flashlights (been on a Fenix and Olight kick lately), and I also collect pens (mostly fountain, but also ballpoint).

Dunno man, if i was on a job where my life potentially depended on my ability in using a weapon, i'd certainly be a weapon enthusiast. Call me paranoid but if i knew there is a possibility that someone attacks me with a fire/bladed or some other deadly weapon, i'd want to be really sure that my skills in using my weapons are high. Not all cops get into deadly physical confrontations but the possibility is always there. Sure, you could have a slim chance to protect your life with a flashlight or even a pen but a gun gives you a much better chance.
You'd be better served getting proficient in defensive tactics or some sort of practical martial art. Not all cops get into deadly physical confrontations, but going hands-on is an absolute certainty.

I've been wondering, are there some sort of statistics regarding how supportive or non-supportive the Mass cops are towards legally armed residents?
Go look on Masscops - most don't stop believing in 2A when they get a badge.

While the management in Boston may not be green, the rank and file officers have been pretty supportive. They know the difference between good guys and bad guys.

Go look on Masscops - most don't stop believing in 2A when they get a badge.

While the management in Boston may not be green, the rank and file officers have been pretty supportive. They know the difference between good guys and bad guys.

Just don't post there unless you are ready to be ridiculed and then banned. They are brutal to outsiders. They make NES look like 6 yr olds playing at tea party. Hilarious as hell, though.

Masscops is not a good place to go if you want to know what cops think. I know a lot of cops and every single one of them is very pro 2A. Not just for them, but for everyone. Unfortunately, many of them also believe that reasonable restrictions and licensing is a good thing. Some of them believe that licensing somehow keeps illegal guns off the street and out of the hands of criminals. This is probably just a result of living your whole life in a state like MA.

Nobody I knew growing up owned more than a shotgun for hunting and that was always locked up and rarely shot. When I first started meeting guys that CCW, I was a little weirded out by it. Not from some personal belief against guns, but just because I was a product of my environment.

Back
Top Bottom