please school me on Mosin m44 sights

Just wanted to bump this with my own experience taking my new to me M44 out yesterday.

After shooting a 5 shot group @ 50 yards, and my buddy with me doing the same, we noticed that the paper had no holes in it, nor did the cardboard. Come to find out @ 50 yards it was shooting 2 feet high. I had the rear sight all the way down, but it appears to me after reading this thread my best option is to replace the front sight with a longer one, or put tubing over the current sight.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys,

I thought I was missing something so I re-read the posts. Yep, if you're shooting in the dirt especially at 50', you're most certainly pointing that muzzle thingy below the target. I've got a Polish M44 that is dead nuts at 100 yards on a metal gong off hand. It's a short rifle to be sure and, yes, the bayo will affect the harmonics. But, in your particular case there has to be something very wrong with your sights. Can you post a photo of your rear sights precisely as they were when you were shooting? Can you determine if your front sight has been buggered with by someone maybe installing an incorrect blade? These rifles, like the 91/30, are extremely robust and it usually doesn't require a lot of thought to get it on paper, ESPECIALLY at that short distance. I, too, would have thought that you'd be shooting over the target, not into the ground.

One other thought. Bring the target in to about 25'. Aim a perfect shot at the center of the bull and see where the bullet hits. If it's a sight issue, it'll be low even at that distance.

Rome

I thought I was missing something so I re-read the posts. Yep, if you're shooting in the dirt especially at 50', you're most certainly pointing that muzzle thingy below the target. I've got a Polish M44 that is dead nuts at 100 yards on a metal gong off hand. It's a short rifle to be sure and, yes, the bayo will affect the harmonics. But, in your particular case there has to be something very wrong with your sights. Can you post a photo of your rear sights precisely as they were when you were shooting? Can you determine if your front sight has been buggered with by someone maybe installing an incorrect blade? These rifles, like the 91/30, are extremely robust and it usually doesn't require a lot of thought to get it on paper, ESPECIALLY at that short distance. I, too, would have thought that you'd be shooting over the target, not into the ground.

One other thought. Bring the target in to about 25'. Aim a perfect shot at the center of the bull and see where the bullet hits. If it's a sight issue, it'll be low even at that distance.

Rome

I dont know if this is directed at my post but my mosin is shooting high, not low haha.

Nope, aimed at (no pun intended) OP who was shooting low. I'd suspect that you were shooting high at 50 yards, maybe a wee bit too high but managable and adjustable. Shooting in the dirt at 50' indicates that sometime is amiss.

Rome

Op shoots low. Take some off the front sight might fix this. #3 says make it taller. #4 says add shrink tube. Both "solutions" will make the rifle shoot lower.
Bite it, mclina.

Op shoots low. Take some off the front sight might fix this. #3 says make it taller. #4 says add shrink tube. Both "solutions" will make the rifle shoot lower.
Bite it, mclina.

Ouch.

BTW, Post #2 mentioned filing the sight post as a fix.

Back at you.

Last edited:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ight-Mosin-Nagant?highlight=mosin+front+sight Made my own front post... My rifle now will shoot poa vs poi @ 100 yards on the 100m setting. with my 150gn reloads and a shy bit lower with the 174gn reloads. Surplus ammo hits somewhere in the area of the center.

All though not needed the front sight pusher found on ebay will help you save time and ammo adjusting the windage.

I picked one of these up http://www.ebay.com/itm/mosin-nagan...093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f514b7cd haven't tried it yet but it looks well made.

That looks pretty cool.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't had a chance to bring this rifle back to the range since I made the OP. I've been to the range a few times since then but with other toys, so I definitely need to get this back and see if I can fix it with the great suggestions provided in this thread. I got caught up in other stuff and completely forgot about this issue until I saw this post resurrected!

Back
Top Bottom