Plan ahead - Form 5320.20 took 6 weeks

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
I sent in a Form 5320.20 on January 22 with the intention of taking an NFA item to the Monadnock shoot on the 27th of February.

I didn't get it back in time for the shoot, but I got it back (approved) today.

Plan ahead folks.

Wow, that's just awful. That's one of the crappy things around NFA items and why I keep debating if it's worth it to take the plunge.

I know you haven't been involved with NFA stuff too long, but I'm sure you know by now that if you ask 10 different people at NFA branch the same question, you'll get 10 completely different answers. I would be seriously surprised (well, maybe not actually, :D ) if NFA Branch was not accepting 5320's by fax anymore. In any case, the NFA Branch fax # is 304-616-4501. I would try faxing it next time. I fax 1 copy, that's it. Worst case scenario, they kick it back to you. Best case scenario, you get your 5320 back real quick. Leave yourself plenty of time and it won't hurt to try. Free advice, take it for what you paid for it. :D

I did mine by mail, and it took 5 weeks, But I mailed them out the first of December so it was not that big of a deal... But thing seem to be slowing back down @ the atf. But I read that its due to an increase in forms not to a slow down in processing.

where do you fax it to? Where is the number. I could not find it on the 5320 form. I am bringing my 4 MGs to VT in July for a shoot and I need to do it also.

Rob

drumenigma, I think it's worth the plunge. As One Eyed Jack always says, get the license while you can. If you don't want to deal with the 5320, look into C&R machineguns.

Well I faxed in my 5320 form for the 3 MGs I am bringing to VT for the "Green Mountain Boys" shoot so we will see what happens.

Rob

Ok here we go.

I just faxed my 5320 form into NFA ATF 10 days ago for my 4 MGs I am bringing to VT for the green mountain boys MG shoot in July.
Came back today all approved.

so the answer to the questions... yes the faxing still works.

I sent it out a week ago Wednesday and it came back approved today. 10 days total from day faxed to day showed up in mailbox.

Yes the fax still works. I am living proof.

FYI and I hope this helps.

Rob

Ok here we go.

I just faxed my 5320 form into NFA ATF 10 days ago for my 4 MGs I am bringing to VT for the green mountain boys MG shoot in July.
Came back today all approved.

so the answer to the questions... yes the faxing still works.

I sent it out a week ago Wednesday and it came back approved today. 10 days total from day faxed to day showed up in mailbox.

Yes the fax still works. I am living proof.

FYI and I hope this helps.

Rob

Now there's no way that can be true because according to all the "experts" on this forum, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm glad it worked out for you, Rob. Thanks for the update, too. Have a great time at the GMB shoot!

Now there's no way that can be true because according to all the "experts" on this forum, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm glad it worked out for you, Rob. Thanks for the update, too. Have a great time at the GMB shoot!

Who disagreed with you on this?

Well look on the bright side guys. We know that it works.

Lets use it. :)

anyone going to the GMB shoot in VT this year? If so look forward to seeing you there.

Rob

There is only one examiner at ATF/NFA This one examiner does all machine gun, suppressors, sbr and aow. He gets 200 requests a day that he has to vet, this is why it takes so long.

There is only one examiner at ATF/NFA This one examiner does all machine gun, suppressors, sbr and aow. He gets 200 requests a day that he has to vet, this is why it takes so long.
Are you sure about that? I've heard they got away from the "alphabet" system, but kinda assumed that was internet rumor as well...

Yes it is a rumor. Now that we are registering SBR's for manufacture we have become intimate with the folks in the ATF/NFA section.

Yes it is a rumor.

that is kinda what I figured...haven't heard the "only one examiner" rumor yet, guess it hasn't made its way to through any of the dedicated NFA sites yet...

Now that we are registering SBR's for manufacture we have become intimate with the folks in the ATF/NFA section.
Awesome, a new SOT, hope you are building yourslef some nice toys as well [smile] ...

Pre-ban on a Colt lower see the photos. All the SBR"s are our, on the FFL until they get sold. They are regestered manufacturing samples to the FFL. We are approved within days.

Attachments

• SBR 2.jpg
    SBR 2.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 88
  • SBR 1.jpg
    SBR 1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
i have.

it's pending.

i submitted it... at least two months ago.

haven't received it back yet, but got my form 1 kicked back to the correct address, so it may have been processed/approved/i honestly have no clue.

nope. not a peep. they DID send my form 1 for corrections to the correct address... so i know they've seen it. i just don't have it in my hands yet. they may just return it and the form 1 at the same time.

anyone have to send a form back for corrections? about how long was your wait?

Has anyone written a letter instead of submitting the 5320.20? If so, any difference in turn-around-time? Any other pointers?

Back
Top Bottom