Place of Birth

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but this seems like the most appropriate place.

Here's the scenario... One of our students was not born in the US of A. And yes, he is here legally. He applied for and received his license, however, when he got his license (done on the new system) he saw that the L.O. had put down the wrong country of birth. When he spoke to the L.O. about it, he was told that it would cost him another $100 to fix it, but it wasn't important, not to worry about it.

He's a bit upset over it. Other than the L. O., is there someone he can call to find out about changing it?

C-pher said:
Have him "Lose" it and then with the new law, he can get a replacement for free.

I was thinking along those lines, but they'd only replace it with the existing data. He does NOT want his place of birth to be listed as it is now.

Talk about timing.... After I put this in, I got a phone call. The student had called me about a week ago telling me about this and due to me having CRS, I forgot about it until today.

I had suggested to him that he write to the FRB and explain to them what had happened. I didn't know if he would or not, but evidently he did.

He got a phone call today and was told to come down to the station to get a new license. He said when he went in, the L.O. seemed a bit miffed at him, but handed him a corrected license, took the old one and told him he was all set. When the student asked him how much for the new license, he told him there was no charge.

So...all's well that ends well, and our student is much happier now that it's been fixed.

I had a LTC reissued due to an error on their part (PD in my case), at no cost to me and this was in 1992. My chief was bullshit about it, but I told him "tough, just do it" . . . he offered me a free renewal next time if I just left it alone, I told him "no dice" and he begrudgingly replaced the LTC.

Here's the story:

- New secretary to the chief so she put down "today's date" as issued date instead of next birthday, then put 5 years from next birthday as expiration. This would have been a LTC issued for ~5 yrs 3 months, which violates the law (NMT 5 years).

- They used to send LTCs to MSP (1010 Comm Ave back then) for lamination and background check. It comes back and I go to pick it up. It has a huge glob of White-Out over expiration year and typed over for a 4 year expiration! (in accordance with law for "date of issue" on LTC). I refuse the LTC and tell the chief that if I were an FFL and presented an obviously doctored LTC, I would NOT accept it as valid. I demanded a re-issue and put my next birthday as "date of issuance". He balks, offers bribe as noted above.

- I go home and call MSP Licensing (remember it was 1992), explain situation and they tell me to have chief re-issue and send letter to 1010 Comm Ave noting that it was re-issued due to this error.

- I go back and demand chief re-issue. Finally he agrees to doing it after calling me a PITA! [twisted] [twisted]

- He holds my LTC for exactly 30 days in spite. He gives in when I tell him that if I don't have it in hand by my birthday, I will refuse to do any work as a Special PO! He tells me that I can carry on the badge and I told him that yes I "can" but I will NOT! [Remember this was 95% volunteer work, unpaid and I was the only one he could rely on to always say yes when asked.] [twisted]

- I finally got the corrected LTC 30 days later.

- Oh yes, he retired before my next renewal was up, so his bribe offer would have been null and void anyway.

Back
Top Bottom