pistol scope for a t/c contender - whatta know about 'em?

greencobra

NES Member
i want to work up some contender loads and looking for an inexpensive yet decent pistol scope to use. i currently use a tasco p4x28 i rustled up off someone in the '80's. it's ok but things could be better. 2 calibers i want to play with are .45 colt and .357 herrett and both would be 10" barrels. i don't see me taking neither of them past 100 yds. any suggestions? i'd like the budget to be $250.

Get a used Leupold 2-1/2x pistol scope.
Interesting. That is exact scope that I used on two contenders and one revolver when I handgun hunted deer. I once had a 4X one which was great shooting off bench but troublesome hunting. I still have them on contender barrels, and a third one on a Hastings 1100 slug barrel (when scope were mounted out on barrel before the cantilever scope mount came along). The one on the slug gun has taken a lot of 12 gauge recoil abuse with no issues.

Look for a Burris IER (Intermediate eye relief) on Ebay. I have both of the following scopes. One is on a .221 Fireball (10X) and one is on a .22 Contender.(7X) They have higher magnification than a traditional pistol scope and a shorter eye relief. You can use them on your "Scout" Rifle too. If you are shooting beyond 50 yards, a 2X scope sucks. If you are shooting at less than 100 yards, you need an AO (Adjustable Objective) scope to counteract Parallax. I had a Leupold 2X on my fireball (XP-100) and it was not enough magnification. If you do buy a low magnification scope, use a larger target. I used a 50 yard timed and rapid fire pistol target at 100 yards with the 2X. Aim small. shoot small doesn't apply here. You have to be able to quarter the target with the cross hair. I used a circular target because it was available. If I were going to use a square target, I would mount it on the backer with the corners on the top and bottom not with the side parallel to the ground, Also, you should pick up a scope level that mounts on your rail. If you cant the gun, you will get bigger groups. The scope listed below ended and were sold recently and represent about what they bring on Ebay. They are usually available (just not right at this second). The scope level is available now. There are more expensive ones but this one will do.
Here is a representative group with the XP. 5 shots in about 3/4 inch at 100 yards. Yes, the whole piece of paper was the target and I used a level when I mounted it to the target backer. The scope level is on the left side and can not be seen in the picture so that you can see it while shooting.:
1587414324501.png

Last edited:
Solid advice here. I ran a fixed 3x Burris on my 357 Herrettswith good results. All my other barrels have varying optics applicable to the caliber so I won't bore you with those. But, perhaps off topic, but if your new to the 357 Herretts look at cast bullets. For me and many others, they always seemed to out perform jacketed factory offerings.

Shop local to me had a fixed 2x single bell, high gloss black leupold for $175. I thought it was a good enough deal to snatch up just to have it. Watch thinking of putting it on my 10" 7 TCU

If you can a used (discontinued) Bushnell 2-6x32 pistol scope, definitely snag one. That's what I've got on my DW 357 and 44 mag revolvers - both of which have seen thousands of full house magnums with no loss in zero. I only shoot out to 120 yards which you don't necessarily need a 6X zoom but I like the 6X for seeing my hits etc.

I bought them used on eBay (like new condition though) for like $125 or so.

Can't beat a Leupold or Burris pistol scope though. I was just too cheap to splurge on one of those [laugh]

Get as much magnification as your shooting style will allow
If you shoot from the bench, you can really blow-up your sight picture.
If your hunting and shooting freehand, stay with 4X or lower.
I use 'em on the range and in the field. Variable does both.
BSA Edge 2-7x32
Excellent on my 7-30 Waters
7-30 waters w target med.jpg
Holds up to what my 444 Marlin dishes out.
444 Marlin w 2-7x32 sm.jpg ... just keep shootin', man!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom