Pistol Red Dots - fully enclosed important?

Seems all the cool kids of 2023 are running fully enclosed pistol red dots now like the Aimpoint ACRO and Holosun 509T. Lint and dirty stuff getting into the emitter no longer a problem when you doing tactical rolls. Is there still a place for the older style open optics on a carry gun that were cool last year?

aimpoint-acro-p-1.jpg
$_32.JPG

Seems logical to me. I’ve never had any issues with open emitters on pistols, but I’ve never abused pistol optics in an austere environment so I don’t know the limits. And when running rifles in austere environments, they’ve all been enclosed. So I don’t have a point of reference.

Seems logical to me. I’ve never had any issues with open emitters on pistols, but I’ve never abused pistol optics in an austere environment so I don’t know the limits. And when running rifles in austere environments, they’ve all been enclosed. So I don’t have a point of reference.
common sense agrees with you, aesthetics says it`s fugly.

The internet says open style is obsolete. I’m happy enough with my RMR though. Hopefully if I’m fighting in the mud or underwater or whatever I’ll have my rifle.

Unnecessary for all but the most specific of situations. Certainly unnecessary for your average EDC.

I mean, if you don’t have a red dot and want to move to one, knock yourself out. If you already have dots that work, switching is just marketing hype. Spend your money however you wish though.

This guy saved lives that day, had a red dot on his Glock and was able to cap the armed mass shooter from 40 yards away, landing 8 out of 10 shots. At that self defense range, a dot beats focusing on a front iron any day.

He didn't use a red dot, he had busted ass irons, and not all the shots were taken at 40y, some as close as 25 feet

As for open or closed. I have shot open in the rain without any issues. And I have yet to have any lint or dust issues with my carry gun. But I wear synthetic clothes as cotton sucks in the heat

If they worked last year, then they'll work this year too. Companies need to keep reinventing the wheel that you don't need in order to keep generating a profit.

Have an Acro and rmr. No practical difference between open and enclosed. Never had crap gather around the emitter on rmr. Maybe a little dust on lens that can just be blown away.

Closed emitters make sense, but I can't help shake the feeling they are also a great way to make people opt for higher price points. What would be great is if someone were to figure out a QD mount that adds no baseplate height to a pistol red dot. Then open and closed wouldn't matter as much because you'd just rip it off in a pinch and fall back on irons.

Back
Top Bottom