Pistol grips and shotguns

Is it ok in MA to have a PUMPACTION shotgun with a pistolgrip with no stock or folding stock as long as its 26 inches long in total?

Lynne said:
It's not just total length Eric. The barrell....I believe....has to be at least 18 inches long, IIRC.

I'm fairly certain you are correct, Lynne...the barrell has to be 18 inches long and a total of 26 inches.

Of course, the burning question is -- why would you want to?

You're not gonna hit beans with a stockless shotgun, even at close range.

Did i ask if it was easy/accurate/ or nice feeling to shoot? No. All i want is to know if it is legal or not.

Ericman said:
Did i ask if it was easy/accurate/ or nice feeling to shoot? No. All i want is to know if it is legal or not.

Simmer down Ericman...we're not knockin' you here...just chattin. No need to take it personally.

Sorry, I am just used to the arrogant pontification of the a**h***s on packing.org

Sorry, I keep forgetting how much nicer everyone else is here

Ericman said:
Sorry, I am just used to the arrogant pontification of the a**h***s on packing.org

I hope that it's legal. Because I bought a Mossy 500 with a pistol grip. But I bought some wood off of eBay and swaped it out.

So if you're looking for one I have one...

I've just been too lazy to put it on the classifieds or eBay.

The answers you were given were correct.

It just needs to be minimum of 18" bbl and minimum of 26" OAL to be legal in MA.

Having hip-shot a 12ga for police qualification, I can tell you that these things are brutal without a full stock. I had a bruise on my side for a week or so after that qualification shoot.

Ericman said:

It's all good...We're here for you to help you and answer questions...and bust your chops here and there too...That's what the NES family is all about though. [lol] [lol] [lol]

M1911 said:
Of course, the burning question is -- why would you want to?

You're not gonna hit beans with a stockless shotgun, even at close range.

If you can't hit anything using something with am 18" barrel designed for a two-hand grip, how the hell do you ever manage to use a handgun? A lot of knowledgable people also recommend the pistol grip for home defense use, since it makes it easier to work confined spaces. Not my personal choice, but hardly unreasonable.

Ken

Ken,

You raise an interesting point, but wouldn't caliber with relation to controllability come into play ?

Someone might be able to control a .22, .25, .32 or .380 but be seriously challenged by a 12 ga with a pistol grip.

Regardless of what we might personally think of "mousegun calibers"...for many the .380 remains the upper limit that one can control. There is a big difference between shooting one of those and a 12 ga with 00 buckshot.

Your thoughts ?

Regards,

Mark

There are two different aspects of "control" from my perspective. First, there's the ability to hit the target with the first shot. In this aspect, I think that a long gun would definitely be preferable, except for the psychological effects of recoil. Novices might be more likely to flinch and close their eye at the last instant than with a smaller gun. Second, and more importantly, they might be less inclined to practice, which is absolutely essential. The second aspect of control is the ability to fire quick follow-up shots. Here a smaller, lighter caliber gun is definitely preferable, although one doesn't need nearly as manny good hits from 12 guage as one might from a .25ACP. The bottom lie from my point of view: I'd rather prefer hitting my target with a .22 short than miss it with a .50BMG any day of the week, but on the assumption that I do hit my target, I'd prefer the .50BMG. That means that some shooters will rationally choose the "mouse gun" while others will just as rationally choose the hand cannon. It all comes down to the shooter.

Ken

dreppucci007 said:
Lynne said:
It's not just total length Eric. The barrell....I believe....has to be at least 18 inches long, IIRC.

I'm fairly certain you are correct, Lynne...the barrell has to be 18 inches long and a total of 26 inches.

And that's Federal Law, NFA 34.

ETA - Moderately controllable, but, if you shoot from the hip, tucking the buttstock up close to your body is more accurate/controllable. Pistol grip use would be limited to close pistol range, not normal shotgun range. And, yes, I figure you're looking for short range use.

If you can't hit anything using something with am 18" barrel designed for a two-hand grip, how the hell do you ever manage to use a handgun?
Personally, I find it much easier to shoot a handgun at eye-level, while using the sights, than it is to shoot a stockless shotgun at eye level.

I've also had poor results shooting a stockless shotgun from the hip.

In other words, for me, the only way I can shoot a stockless shotgun is from the hip, where I'm not using the sights and where I can't hit anything with it.

I've had much better results shooting a stocked shotgun, both from the shoulder (using the sights) and with the buttstock tucked under my upper arm (not using the sights).

Is a stockless shotgun easier to handle than a stocked shotgun in tight quarters? Sure. But if I can't hit beans with it then it doesn't do me much good. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom