• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pilot arrested at Florida airport with loaded gun in carry-on

commodon

NES Member
brian-machtemes.jpg

Authorities say an airline pilot was arrested at a Florida airport after a loaded gun was found in his carry-on suitcase.

The News-Press reports Brian Andrew Machtemes of Minnetonka, Minn., was arrested Friday at Southwest Florida International Airport.

A Lee County Port Authority arrest report says the 54-year-old Sun Country Airlines pilot was arrested when a Transportation Security Administration agent found a loaded pistol in his suitcase.

The report says Machtemes has a permit to carry the gun in Minnesota, but that it wasn't valid in Florida.

The TSA allows unloaded firearms in locked containers only as checked baggage.

Airline spokeswoman Kirsten Wenker confirmed Machtemes is a pilot but declined further comment, citing privacy reasons.

Machtemes was released on $5,000 bond. Jail records didn't show whether he had an attorney.

From Pilot arrested at Florida airport with loaded gun in carry-on, police say

Doesn't say if he was supposed to be flying, or was he travelling.

I know several airline pilots, and the stories they tell going through TSA is astonishing:

1) One guy went through the hoops to carry on board, was issued a gun, and had his pocketknife taken - because that wasn't an approved weapon
2) One guy had the screwdriver set ISSUED by American Airlines to perform preflight inspections taken - because it could be a weapon
3) One guy had his fingernail clippers taken - because it could be used as a weapon

I'm not normally one to say that certain animals should be more equal than others, but when the reason for not letting weapons on board is to prevent the plane from being taken over, I think that you can reasonably argue that the guy who is supposed to have the keys should be exempt, no?

This guy still should have known better, for crying out loud. Just because everyone should be able to get onto the flying bus carrying, doesn't mean you're not going to face consequences when you do it.

I'm not normally one to say that certain animals should be more equal than others, but when the reason for not letting weapons on board is to prevent the plane from being taken over, I think that you can reasonably argue that the guy who is supposed to have the keys should be exempt, no?

Cept you're still saying 'only _____ should have a gun' which I basically never think is ok. IMHO it should either be everyone who isn't a pp should be able to carry, or nobody should carry. The second, as we all know, makes you a target because bad people know they can do malevolent stuff and nobody is going to shoot back.

I have many many stories about the TSA at SW Florida/ RSW, collectively they have a combined IQ of 20.

They have busted my balls so many times for stupid things it isn't funny.

I have started documenting the things they miss that they should have caught.

They gave me a hand job after seeing BANANAS in my carry on they could not ID. THey said nothing about the 2 laptops, and the drone with 3 fully charged lithium Ion batteries that were in the same carry on.

So the guy that is giving me the hand job also complained that my pants were falling down.... gee you make me undo my belt and put my hands straight out to the side. Never ask a guy that goes 275+ to loosen his belt, it is not going to end well.

and the kicker to this? One of my last trips I found a spent 22LR round in my bag, that had to have been in there for 3 years, which was probably ten times thru TSA at RSW

I have license plates with me on many trips... nice sharp edges right? They have never said BOO about them.

TSA is a joke

Doesn't say if he was supposed to be flying, or was he travelling.

I know several airline pilots, and the stories they tell going through TSA is astonishing:

1) One guy went through the hoops to carry on board, was issued a gun, and had his pocketknife taken - because that wasn't an approved weapon
2) One guy had the screwdriver set ISSUED by American Airlines to perform preflight inspections taken - because it could be a weapon
3) One guy had his fingernail clippers taken - because it could be used as a weapon

This guy still should have known better, for crying out loud. Just because everyone should be able to get onto the flying bus carrying, doesn't mean you're not going to face consequences when you do it.

It is because of shit like this that I do not fly, period. f*** the TSA!

I can only hope that one of these days a case like this makes it to the Supreme Court so that there wouldn’t be a need for reciprocity laws.

That would be a terrible case because they would go "cuz airplayne 9/11 guns reasonable restrictions blah blah".

I'd much rather see a case where a state like NY or NJ tried to go full retard prosecuting someone that was basically a millimeter out of FOPA compliance.

Problem is some of the commies/antis are wise to this now. Like those people busted accidentally trying to bring guns into the 9/11 memorial in NYC, etc... after much hemming and hawing, they get a "deal" but still get beat up in the process.

-Mike

Cept you're still saying 'only _____ should have a gun' which I basically never think is ok. IMHO it should either be everyone who isn't a pp should be able to carry, or nobody should carry. The second, as we all know, makes you a target because bad people know they can do malevolent stuff and nobody is going to shoot back.

Agreed.....at the very least the First Officer better be strapped too.

I've just recently flown twice for the first times in ages. Boston, Orlando and DFW were all O.K. The experience wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but seriously....the TSA needs to be scrapped and the airlines need to pony-up the cash and handle security themselves.

Their planes, their responsibility.

As far as pilots are concerned, they should have no restrictions placed on them, esp since so many are retired military.

#stupidity

Pilots have been known to hijack and intentionally crash airplanes. Pilots are employees and people and are just a susceptible to mental health issues and being disgruntled at their employers as anyone else. Seems to me that some guy going postal to get back at his boss is more of a threat than me carrying more than 2oz of mouthwash onto the airplane.

I am headed south Thursday for the weekend, back on Sunday. I am already dreading TSA ( and I am TSA Pre Check)

The only thing I am bringing with me is a cell phone and my keys. Lets see how much BS I have to go thru.

Back
Top Bottom