Photos with crappy technique

jar

Does it bother anyone else when they see photos with crappy shooting technique in them? I'm talking about 'teacup' grips, leaning way back, that sort of thing. I don't generally comment, because I don't want it taken the wrong way, but it grates sometimes.

I hate seeing photos of people pointing firearms at the camera. ( unless you use a timer and there is no one taking the pic)

In a word - no. I have been a photographer, (hobby to professional), for many years. For kicks and some fresh ideas, I took a photography class at Berkshire Community College. It was a bit boring, but it was great to be around other people who were into photography. Now, everyone seems to have an SLR hanging around their neck - back then, photographers - serious photographers, were seen as a bit of an oddity...Nerds with lenses. One day after a photo assignment, a younger woman was asked to display her photograph. To everyone, it seemed to be a nice print of a mountain landscape, nicely exposed - nicely developed. The instructor began nitpicking everything from her exposure - to her depth of field. Fine I suppose - it's how we learn. What drew the line for me, was when he began trashing her perspective and technique. That to me is what tells the story of the photographer. That's personal - not technical. I walked out of the class and never went back...

I guess in the end, what matters most to me is that someone is trying to express themselves through their art. It's not up to me to judge anything beyond that. Sure, I've seen, (and taken), photos that could have been done better - I just look beyond what is supposed to be and look at what is....

In a word - no. I have been a photographer, (hobby to professional), for many years. For kicks and some fresh ideas, I took a photography class at Berkshire Community College. It was a bit boring, but it was great to be around other people who were into photography. Now, everyone seems to have an SLR hanging around their neck - back then, photographers - serious photographers, were seen as a bit of an oddity...Nerds with lenses. One day after a photo assignment, a younger woman was asked to display her photograph. To everyone, it seemed to be a nice print of a mountain landscape, nicely exposed - nicely developed. The instructor began nitpicking everything from her exposure - to her depth of field. Fine I suppose - it's how we learn. What drew the line for me, was when he began trashing her perspective and technique. That to me is what tells the story of the photographer. That's personal - not technical. I walked out of the class and never went back...

I guess in the end, what matters most to me is that someone is trying to express themselves through their art. It's not up to me to judge anything beyond that. Sure, I've seen, (and taken), photos that could have been done better - I just look beyond what is supposed to be and look at what is....

I think the OP is referring to photos depicting poor shooting technique [wink].

I think the OP is referring to photos depicting poor shooting technique [wink].

See? I told you photographers were nerds...[smile]

That does not bother me either....Unless someone is sweeping a firing line, or doing something inherently dangerous, I think it's all good...The only thing I dislike are the gangsta sideways posers...[slap]

It's a quick way to determine who you should take shooting advice from.

I love it when I see it in shooting magazines or on shooting shows like Guns&ammo

Why would that bother you? shooting is a learning curve that we ALL go through. No one is exempt, even though some people think they have been doing everything perfect since day one.

It bothers me.

It bothers me more when they say that grip is an individual thing and they shoot better like a little teacup

See? I told you photographers were nerds...[smile]

That does not bother me either....Unless someone is sweeping a firing line, or doing something inherently dangerous, I think it's all good...The only thing I dislike are the gangsta sideways posers...[slap]

I'm not a photographer, which you'd know if you've seen my pictures, but I thought the same way you did. I thought he was talking about poor photo shooting techniques. Then again I could probably provide ample samples of poor technique either way. [smile]

You mean like holding a shotgun way farther back with the support hand than you should be? [smile]

Well, if the thing attached to the front is what I think it is, such hold is absolutely justified. Bad baffle strike can hurt your feelings! [grin]

ultimate bad technique
or6za9.jpg

Don't insult my photo technique! Or my shooting technique!

My first 460 shot always has me take a step back and regrip, then nail the target. Something I was unaware of until I saw a photograph of it, which I am sure is floating around here somewhere.

Later MassMark took a video of it happening, answering that question but asking another question as to why the followups were spot on. EddieCoyle walked by, looked at the video explained it was due to my knees. Go figure. [crying] But I'm guilty of the crappy technique if you catch me on the first shot.

Back
Top Bottom