Philadelphia home owner defends his castle

"Officials say Heng will not be charged because he has a right to carry a gun inside his home even though he doesn't have a permit."

I am glad he did not need the "LTC from your bedroom to your kitchen" in Philadelphia.[thinking]

yeah thats the part that made my eyes open wide...must be nice. but good for him .only complaint is he didnt get them both

Warms the cockles of my heart! Only down side is he didn't get to blast the second thug!

"so called castle docterine" i wonder how the writer if this article views guns... i wish he got both. punk ass kids

What's interesting is that he doesn't need to invoke the castle doctrine.

the armed intruders confronted Heng and a struggle ensued. During the scuffle, Heng opened fire

He was attacked by the robbers and was defending himself. If he shot them before the struggle, he could use the castle doctrine.

Agreed good for this homeowner protecting his family....

"You don't have time to think," said the 63-year-old South Philadelphia homeowner, husband and father of two. "They came like lightning."

Man, if I could bottle a lesson and sell it to any politician that wrote a law it would be this.

People don't realize you have about 6 seconds to react when the situation arises. There aren't going to be any hostage situations or quick phone calls to 911. It's not like the movie Taken where you have time to call daddy and describe the men that are stealing your television while they have you tied up with duck-tape. It's literally, bang, scuffle, over.

The only question is who is the dead guy at the end of the story? In this case, the good guys win.

The moment you have to say "freeze, don't mo..." it's already over and all that's left is the scene report.

If the other perp is ever caught he will held criminally liable for the death and be charged with the murder of his associate according to the legal doctrine of "Felony Murder."

The concept of felony murder originates in the rule of transferred intent, which is older than the limit of legal memory. In its original form, the malicious intent inherent in the commission of any crime, however trivial, was considered to apply to any consequences of that crime, however unintended.

Warms the cockles of my heart! Only down side is he didn't get to blast the second thug!
better hit hit rate than most cops (comment not meant to insult any cops here, you guys might be a better shot than me, no sarcasm intended, so please dont jump all over me)

If the other perp is ever caught he will held criminally liable for the death and be charged with the murder of his associate according to the legal doctrine of "Felony Murder."

The Felony-Murder rule usually does not apply to the death of a co-conspirator, although I haven't checked PA law to see if they would apply it here.

The other perp will probably sue the homeowner for emotional distress over the loss of his friend.

Think about how many Citizens WILL NOT be victimized by this scum after this incident. Evil doers will think twice in that neighborhood in future. Chalk one up for society.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The Felony-Murder rule usually does not apply to the death of a co-conspirator, although I haven't checked PA law to see if they would apply it here.

What? That is exactly what the Felony Murder rule is all about:

The felony-murder rule originated in England under the Common Law. Initially it was strictly applied, encompassing any death that occurred during the course of a felony, regardless of who caused it. Therefore, if a police officer attempting to stop a Robbery accidentally shot and killed an innocent passerby, the robber could be charged with murder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_murder_rule_(Pennsylvania)

Last edited:
What? That is exactly what the Felony Murder rule is all about:
No. It's about killing of innocents, not perps.

The felony-murder rule originated in England under the Common Law. Initially it was strictly applied, encompassing any death that occurred during the course of a felony, regardless of who caused it. Therefore, if a police officer attempting to stop a Robbery accidentally shot and killed an innocent passerby, the robber could be charged with murder.

Felony murder rule (Pennsylvania) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I prefer to cite caselaw:

the Court reasoned that the predicate for application of the felony murder rule was missing. Because the co-felon's death resulted from the policeman's lawful efforts to stop the robbers, the resulting death was deemed a justifiable homicide and not a murder. Commonwealth v. Redline, 391 Pa. 486 (Pa Supreme Court 1958)

but how did he get that gun from the store to his home??? He must have broke then law when he did. HANG HIM!!! [wink]

Back
Top Bottom