• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pheasant Hunting

Cool video, were you close enough for a shot?

Not that time, but that's the clearest video I have of her on point. I do have video of her locating the downed bird later on, but haven't uploaded it yet. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the best quality video up, since YT seems to be degrading it. I'm new to both the GoPro and YT. She'd locked up on a bird before, for over a minute, but the cover was so thick the bird couldn't be seen. I've got another flush of a rooster on video, after the cam got knocked back.

That vest she's got on is from http://www.dogcollarcam.com/#!dogpro/cdk6 It's fairly stable once fitted in just the right way. It's taken a beating though, and is starting to come apart. I don't think it was designed for the type of environment these dogs see. I've also got the GoPro vest, called "Fetch." It's not really up to the task, with its attachment system made of elastic straps and open hooks -- the dog lost the vest & cam the first time out. I do have a video of her wearing the Fetch vest, wading into some water http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKqQ_904k9Y&feature=youtu.be (I think that's the URL). You can see some minnows in there if you watch in HD.

Last edited:
Can anyone give me an idea of where to park for myles standish quail and pheasant areas?

download the map for Myles Standish WMA from the Mass DFW website, its very helpful. the quail fields are down near the boy scout camp.

there are several areas throughout MS where they put pheasants, and parking is not an issue...take a drive down some saturday and you'll see where the popular areas are.

Anybody else notice the biologists in Martin Burn and know what they're doing in there?

I've noticed that they finally started wearing orange hats sometime this last week. And also that the do not enter sign on the road heading to the right does not apply to them. No clue what they're doing there though.

I've noticed that they finally started wearing orange hats sometime this last week. And also that the do not enter sign on the road heading to the right does not apply to them. No clue what they're doing there though.
Yeah I stopped and told them about the road on saturday since they were going in as I was trying to get out.

I know how you feel about the self flushing pointers, my pup finally found a few birds this weekend at myles standish quail area.

Where is that OIFer? If you dont mind sharing. Please feel free to PM to keep it out of the lurkers eyes.

Great job with the videos guys!! I hope to get out a couple more times before the season wraps up, and I'll see if my sunglass video cam produces anything usable. Great to watch these dogs!

Got two hens this past weekend. 1 at Martin Burns, and 1 at "The Island" in Newbury. Not sure what the WMA is called.
Dogs pointed 3 dead birds (2 roosters, 1 hen) One was a little warm with no visible wounds so I was curious how that happened. Oh well. The morning was FREEZING, and the birds weren't really moving. Hunted for 6 hours, walked about 10 miles and those birds came closer to the end of our day.

Someone I was hunting with always keeps his orange hat on his dashboard, and drives around in a camo hat. Well he forgot to change his hat which got him a $50 ticket. He was allowed to continue to hunt though, just had to unload and trek back to the car for his hat before he could load back up.

Here is a few of me shooting some field chickens.

Cool. I spotted a GoPro mount that can be affixed to a gun/bow. I might give that a shot (ha!) to see if it can help give me a clue as to why I'm crippling birds more often these days than dropping them. I had been using Remington shells last season, and dropped them. But I needed to pick up another box for this season, and the shop only had Winchester. I'm using the same 20 ga. high brass #5, 2-3/4, but Winchester instead of Remington. Maybe the birds are just tougher this season. Yeah, that's it.

I have the barrel mount but IMO the head mount works better, you can see it on my head in the first video. If I was using the barrel mount you would see the sky while I walked/ran until I aimed at the bird, then the sky again.

Back
Top Bottom