Pete's Gun Shop, Adams, Mass.

I am a newcomer to the sport. I found the NES boards to be a very helpful resource as I educated myself about laws, techniques, and firearms. In fact, once I had completed all my research and finally decided to “pull the trigger” and actually buy my first few guns I referred to this very “gun shop review” board for advice.

I live in Western Mass, about 3 hours away from Boston. However, I had heard so many good things from NES members about Four Seasons in Woburn that I called them to see if they had what I wanted and to get a quote on their best price they would give me. I was fully prepared to drive for 3 hours in order to avail myself of their customer service and great prices.

However, before embarking on that trip I called a few local gun shops and I am glad I did. I found Pete’s gun shop in Adams Mass and its owner Tom Decker. I was impressed right away by their competitive prices. I went into the shop to see the guns in person. Tom showed each gun to me, explaining the pros and cons, and offering his advice. Tom really takes to heart the saying, “the only dumb question is the one you don’t ask.” Tom showed me how each gun worked, how to clean and maintain it, and patiently answered all of my questions. I probably spent an hour and a half in his store just asking questions and listening. I finally made my decisions and we shook hands on the deal. He made it clear that I should call him if any other questions occurred to me after I left (and they did!).

So, as a newbie, I felt really taken care of. Not every shooter is so fortunate as to have a dad, or uncle, or older brother to teach them the ins and outs of guns and to serve as a resource for their beginner questions. Tom is the kind of guy who is happy to share his wisdom, in a humble way, with those of us who would benefit greatly from it.

So, long story short – I kept my business local, felt like I got a fair deal, and got great customer service. Pete’s will definitely get my business again. In fact, I fear I may have already caught the collecting bug! I highly recommend Pete’s gun shop to all Western Mass shooters.

I have said it 1000 times over ... Pete's is a GREAT shop. It's the only one I go to if I have ANY say in the matter. I have bought/traded numerous guns with him without a hitch. My SECOND ever transaction with him was when I used him as the FFL to ship a Remington 870 up from a guy on another forum in NC. I got it for $250 and Tom said he couldn't match it but would gladly get it shipped up here to him. So when it showed up and I went in to get it he had me sign the papers and all that jazz and then said "You're all set." Correcting him, I told him I hadn't paid him for the transfer fee, etc. He said "Nope, I'm not worried about it...you'll be back...I just wish I could have gotten you one from stock for this price." With that, I bought about $100 worth of accessories and ammo from him right then.

Another time was when I saw the GSG5 on here and wanted one. He didn't even know what I was talking about but he was interested (if you've been to his shop, you've seen his personal collection on the wall). He PERSISTENTLY called the distributor daily to see when it would be in. When UPS dropped it off, he called me before opening the second and third boxes (his and one for stock respectively) to let me know MINE was in.

How about one more to show how much he is willing to do for his customers. About 2/3 of the way through the police academy, I realized I wanted something for off duty carry. I really wanted a Glock27 since I was going to be carrying the 22 on duty. He had 2. Both were in nice shape but 1 had an extra mag w/ a finger extender, grip plug but it was a little older and a little more used. The other one was pretty clean looking (holster wear) and had just 1 mag with no extender or grip plug. Now not a big deal but probably $40 or so to get the extras. I decided to go with the bare bones one because it was cheaper and I figured I could just get the other stuff later if I wanted. I also got a box of 50 target rounds and 50 CCW rounds. I have always wanted a tshirt also and they never had them in stock or at the gun shows...well wouldn't ya know, they had them today...only a couple left and I took one of them too. As I am checking out with one of the guys who helps in his shop, I see Tom fiddling with MY new G27...upon closer inspection, he gave me the extra mag w/grip extender and the grip plug. He also only had the guy charge me for the gun and 1 box of ammo...free box of ammo and a shirt! Not much but WAY MORE than he had to do...I was ready to pay full price and be happy about it.

OK....I could go on and on about what a good guy Tom is and the guys in his shop. He will always be willing to sit and chat about whatever or show you ANY gun in his shop and explain ANYTHING you need/want to know about it. Then after spending all that time with you, he won't shun you if you say the dreaded words "I'm just looking for now...but thanks for your time." If you are in the area, check him out...you won't be disappointed.

[/soap box praise]

p.s. - sks ... where are you located?

I'll throw into the hat for Pete's here, as well - customer service beyond compare, and very fair pricing to boot. Mr. Decker cares about his customers and enjoys his work - it's plain to see. He also chooses excellent, friendly help. The shop's selection is good, the mood is laid back, and the shop dogs won't eat you. [wink]

A+ from me - wouldn't shop elsewhere without a very convincing reason.

I must've caught 'em on a bad day. It was Sunday, and the guy had to call the boss man to find out that a particular AK had a "pinned magazine".

I'll go back and give them another try, based on what I've read here.

I must've caught 'em on a bad day. It was Sunday, and the guy had to call the boss man to find out that a particular AK had a "pinned magazine".

I'll go back and give them another try, based on what I've read here.

Please do. Everyone has "off days". I'm sure you will be glad you did.

I had heard a lot of negatives about Pete's Gun Shop a few years ago and stayed away. I'm sorry I did. I stopped in on a whim one day after visiting one of my clients in the hospital in North Adams. I expected the worst, but found that what I had heard was BS, (at least in my experience). Tom Decker is a great guy with a decent depth of knowledge and a crapload of eye-candy on the gun racks! He and his staff are also not in the least opposed to "tire kickers" and take the time to show you anything you want to see. When selling my ParaOrd 6.45 failed here on the classifieds, I took it to Pete's. My asking price here was $675.00 - Tom handed me a check two-weeks later for $739.00! My next firearms purchase will be at Pete's - he earned my business and my loyalty.

Pete's in Adams

stopped in Pete's yesterday while I was headed to a family Christmas party. I had been looking for a T/C Omega with a thumb hole and real tree but wasn't having much luck down in my end of the state. They had just what I was looking for and got me set up with a nice scope. The folks in the shop were great. Selection was huge and the price was very good. I'll definitely be going back when I head out that way again. They had a couple of nice used Browning's that I'd like to have for hunting in Maine.

Pete's is also exceptionally friendly to tire kickers....Hell, they went on a coffee run one morning and asked me if I wanted one. The bargains lay beyond the price tag, (he will deal). Accessories are sometimes disappointing and I did openly chuckle in the store when I spotted wasted USGI AR mags at $40-50.00 a pop during Obamamania. Other than that, Tom has done absolutely right by me every time I walked into his shop....

My only issue with Pete's was at the Fitchburg Show last year. He had a "Colt Single Action" on the table. Well, it was marked COLT, but it was really an AWA. Price was too low for a COLT and too high for a AWA. I called them on it and all I got was a blank stare. They never changed the tag, at least not while I was standing there.

Pete's is also exceptionally friendly to tire kickers....Hell, they went on a coffee run one morning and asked me if I wanted one. The bargains lay beyond the price tag, (he will deal). Accessories are sometimes disappointing and I did openly chuckle in the store when I spotted wasted USGI AR mags at $40-50.00 a pop during Obamamania. Other than that, Tom has done absolutely right by me every time I walked into his shop....

Too funny. I couldn't agree more. I went to the Fitchburg show and picked up a sweet deal on a P6. After going back several times to his booth and after the second day of looking at her, he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. [smile]

Since my initial post in this thread (#6) my opinion of this gun shop has improved markedly. Two of my last three gun purchases have been made there. If you're in the area, I recommend you stop in.

+1 For Petes. Petes is a great store, real nice people, laid back attitude I myself have purchased guns from there and have also sold/traded there. They seem to give the buyer exactly what they are looking for and are ready and willing to help out. I highly recommend people in the area to stop in and take a look I gaurantee you'll be back

Recently visited the shop and I must say it was extremely nice. Good selection, ok prices but the customer service was outstanding. Most certainly one of the better shops in Western MA

I had a very positive experience with Pete's Gun Shop at the Wilmington Gun Show this weekend. I have been looking for a Ruger SR22 since they came out and they had two. Doug who helped me with the purchased was knowledgeable about the rifle and even though I did walk away to "think" about it when I came back he wanted to know what he needed to do to sell it to me and I said nothing and I started the paperwork. As the line to checkout was about a 15 min. wait they apologized for having us waiting so long, but it is understandable at a gun show. I hope to visit the store in Adams to check out what else he has but overall my purchase from the show was a great experience with the shop.

I am predominantly a Four Seasons and Bob's Original customer but I always find my self at Pete's tables during the gun shows. I spoke with Mike and his son Nick Saturday and wound up buying a bipod and carry handle for my M1919A at a very fair price. I find Pete's guys to be very laid back and friendly, knowledgeable and they always bring a huge inventory. I haven't been west of Fitchburg since my daughter graduated U-Mass but some day I hope to see their shop.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I am Tom, the owner of Pete's. I also have an 07/Class III shop in Vermont, (a FREE state!), hence the user name. I just want to thank all for the super comments on this thread. I put customer satisfaction before profit. My dad used to run the shop, and was kind of a grumpy guy sometimes. After I inherited the shop and moved, we have tried to be the best and biggest shop around. We try mightily to go the extra mile to do whatever we can to make someone comfortable at our shop or at our tables at a show. We try to have a wide selection, and realize we can't always please everyone. We do our level best, however. Yes, we may have something that one buyer may think is priced too high, but the NEXT guy may think it is the best thing since sliced bread, and as anyone who frequents our shop will see, our guns do NOT hang around long. Yeah, we make mistakes, like the post on the "pinned" AK mag. I STILL don't know what that was about. The man working the shop that day still has some to learn about military style guns, but ask him about hunting guns, and he has forgotten more than I'll ever know. The Fitchburg "Colt" was marked wrong as it obviously was not a Colt, but sold that same day to a guy who was so happy, he wanted me to find him another to match it. Still haven't been able to do that! We DO appreciate our customers more than you know! THANKS!

Last edited:
Hi guys, I am Tom, the owner of Pete's. I also have an 07/Class III shop in Vermont, (a FREE state!), hence the user name. I just want to thank all for the super comments on this thread. I put customer satisfaction before profit. My dad used to run the shop, and was kind of a grumpy guy sometimes. After I inherited the shop and moved, we have tried to be the best shop around. We try mightily to go the extra mile to do whatever we can to make someone comfortable at our shop or at our tables at a show. We try to have a wide selection, and realize we can't always please everyone. We do our level best, however. Yes, we may have something that one buyer may think is priced too high, but the NEXT guy may think it is the best thing since sliced bread, and as anyone who frequents our shop will see, our guns do NOT hang around long. We appreciate our customers more than you know! THANKS!

Tom, I stopped by in December with my two boys. The oldest was on Army leave (Christmas "exodus" from BCT) and he wanted to look at guns. So I took the kids to what I've come to regard as the best gun shop in Berkshire County. I should have learned my lesson long ago ... never go shopping with the kids.

Alas. I came only to look, and left with a S&W 40c.

I also bought a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 a while before that. Someday it'll belong to my youngest boy, who fell in love with it. You helped us out with that pick, and I think we got the best of the lot. We like to peruse the milsurpy stuff, mostly, and the .22s. We picked up a Marlin 80 from you a while back.

Pete's is always our go-to place now. We feel just as comfortable coming in to browse as we do when we're looking to make a serious purchase.

My little guy might be looking to get into archery some time. He wants to do the Merit Badge at Boy Scout camp next summer. When his interest has become focused, we'll talk to you about that, too.

Where does your son belong to the Boy Scouts? It is a great organization. Both of my boys are Eagles, and I have been involved with our local Troop 38 for over 20 years, watching and helping many fine young men complete their Eagle journey, including my sons and the three Marine brothers that also help us out part time. I look forward to helping your son out! I hope your oldest son is well! THANKS!

Where does your son belong to the Boy Scouts?

We're with the tiny Troop 6. He got his Rifle Shooting Merit Badge last summer. He was the first to qualify, on Wednesday of that week. Like his older brother, he's just a natural with a rifle. I'd like to get him into some proper training soon, so he learns good shooting habits early. Trying to get him interested in doing an Appleseed shoot sometime.

Hi guys, I am Tom, the owner of Pete's. I also have an 07/Class III shop in Vermont, (a FREE state!), hence the user name. I just want to thank all for the super comments on this thread. I put customer satisfaction before profit. My dad used to run the shop, and was kind of a grumpy guy sometimes. After I inherited the shop and moved, we have tried to be the best and biggest shop around. We try mightily to go the extra mile to do whatever we can to make someone comfortable at our shop or at our tables at a show. We try to have a wide selection, and realize we can't always please everyone. We do our level best, however. Yes, we may have something that one buyer may think is priced too high, but the NEXT guy may think it is the best thing since sliced bread, and as anyone who frequents our shop will see, our guns do NOT hang around long. Yeah, we make mistakes, like the post on the "pinned" AK mag. I STILL don't know what that was about. The man working the shop that day still has some to learn about military style guns, but ask him about hunting guns, and he has forgotten more than I'll ever know. The Fitchburg "Colt" was marked wrong as it obviously was not a Colt, but sold that same day to a guy who was so happy, he wanted me to find him another to match it. Still haven't been able to do that! We DO appreciate our customers more than you know! THANKS!

Good to see you here, Mr. Decker. [grin]

Stopped in at Pete's Gun Shop again today. Just out on my Harley for my first ride of the year.
Always something there you didn't know you needed! If he doesn't have it,Tom Decker will also try to locate something for you. He usually comes through, don't know how he does it???
Every one there is always ready to help. And it sure got busy today at closing time!
Also stop upstairs & see Dan for your archery needs.

i met the guys from petes at a gun show once and got their buisness card i have been meaning to go out there for a long time they seemed to have some nice stuff

Ken, I'm jealous about you gettin' out on your Harley......guess that is one downside to living in Vermont, land of snow and MUD. Sure is a nice looking bike you have. You would have looked good motoring down the road with that Winchester over your shoulder! See you again soon!

We will be at the Fitchburg Show this coming weekend. It is a fairly new show but has been good for us so far. Hope to see some of you there. Look for our sign with the yellow flashing light on top!

Went to Pete's to get a shotgun. They had tons of stuff in stock but I was looking for a particular model. Tom was able to answer all of my questions and let me poke around the shop. I placed an order with him to get a new shotgun that they didn't have in stock, but delivery would take a week (I was in after normal business hours). It did not make it on the delivery truck but they made a trip down to their supplier the day after it was supposed to be delivered and gave me a call to let me know it was in. Great experience.

+100 on the positive comments on Pete's Gun Shop. Tom should be back in a week or two from his month-long trip to Alaska. I have bought a number of guns from his shop over the two years since I have moved here, as well as having him accept shipment of guns bought online. I've always been more than pleased. He has a lot of contacts, and a solid presence as a seller on AuctionArms as well as a few other websites. If there is something you have been having a hard time finding, give the shop a call and they will keep their eyes open for you. Sure is great to have a shop like his right here in the neighborhood.

EDIT: Pete's Gun Shop no longer lists on AuctionArms. Look for his listings on GunBroker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom