PETA - People Executing Tame Animals

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
In case anyone has any doubts about the "purity" of some supposedly "concerned" groups:

From Townhall.com:

PETA: People Executing Tame Animals

Shocking news from rural North Carolina late last week -– the story of two People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) employees caught killing and dumping 31 dogs and cats -- has left animal-rights activists from coast to coast scratching their heads. Could it be that PETA kills animals? If you're among the 600,000 people who have visited www.PetaKillsAnimals.com (a project of the Center for Consumer Freedom), or one of the millions who have seen our Times Square billboard, you already know the answer.

While PETA lectures Americans about the "evils" of eating meat, wearing wool, taking children to the circus, and using lab rats to help cure cancer, the group puts to death most of the actual flesh-and-blood animals entrusted to it by the public. And judging from the 62 felony charges handed down last week, the manner in which some of these animals were executed and disposed of appears to be anything but "ethical."

As we're finding out from the North Carolina case, PETA picks up dogs, cats, puppies and kittens from shelters and veterinarians, often with assurances that new homes will be found for them. But in 2003 PETA killed over 85 percent of the animals it took in.

In North Carolina, the animals -- including at least seven puppies and two kittens -- were dead less than an hour after two PETA employees picked them up. All 31 were killed in a windowless cage-lined van, apparently with drugs the PETA pair were not legally authorized to dispense. And authorities say the self-proclaimed more-ethical-than-thou PETA discarded their bodies ingloriously (and illegally) in a strip-mall dumpster.

If anyone else were responsible for these animals' deaths, PETA would hold a press conference to condemn them. Instead, it's desperately scrambling to preserve what's left of its public image.

PETA has acknowledged killing over 10,000 animals between 1998 and 2003; recent reporting suggests PETA added 2,200 more to its body count in 2004. All while presiding over a gargantuan fundraising operation that brought in nearly $29 million last year.

With that kind of money, PETA could afford to care for every single one of the animals it picks up -- if it weren't so hell-bent on spending millions turning children into vegetarians, demonizing people who don't have an all-polyester wardrobe, and misleading Americans about the medical breakthroughs that have only come about through the use of research animals. PETA even pays for the bail and legal expenses of animal activists who -- like this week's unintentional celebrities -- run afoul of the law.

It's time for Americans who want to help animals to stop sending money to PETA, and start supporting their local animal shelters instead. You can help. Visit www.PetaKillsAnimals.com to learn the whole story behind PETA's latest hypocrisy. If you know any PETA members, tell them about their group's disgraceful behavior. And consider making a small donation to help the Center for Consumer Freedom tell Congress, the media, and ordinary Americans that PETA's warm-and-fuzzy image is a deadly sham.

OK here's the deal with PETA. They're the fascist dictators of the vegan/vegetarian community.

I've been vegetarian for over 15 years now, and not the kind of vegetarian that still eats chicken and seafood (as if chickens and fish aren't "real" animals, never did understand that leap of logic). However, I've always held true to certain basic ideas.
1) It's every person's right to choose what to eat and what not to eat, free from judgment or harm. While I may not agree with it, it's your choice in the end.
2) If you're not actually killing or abusing the animal, it's not wrong to use them for other useful purposes ie: wool, milk, honey
3) Circus animals are sad. I do agree with that. I also don't like seeing big animals in small enclosures, but it does seem that progress is being made in that area.
4) PETA is evil. Any organization that damns anyone for being different is just wrong. This holds true for terrorists, aggressive born again christians, racists and gun control lobbyists...

Jen Has Spoken

SiameseRat

Agreed. I hate "do-gooders", AKA people that want you to subsribe to their wacky (or not wacky) belief, by force if needed.

I also hate religious fanatics and born again Christians. I don't believe in the extremist "Seperation of Church and State", either. Funny thing is, I'm an Atheist. I have no problem with the Ten Commanments being in the statehouse. I have no problem with Nativity scenes or Menorrah's being on the City Hall lawn. Just don't force me to subscribe to the religion.

I don't have a problem with vegetarians, and I have friends that are "vegetarian" but do still eat chicken. They just don't like red meat.

It's nothing to do with the way that they treat animals. Just that they don't like red meat. So, they eat chicken. Really, I know a lot of people like that.

And I don't have a problem with people that kill animals as long as they use ALL the animal. I'm not to keen on hunting just to kill. But just about everyone that I know only hunts for the meat and skins.

Anyway, I've always thought that both PETA and Greenpeace are militant cult type clubs. And I'm pretty happy that PETA is caught with their pants down on this one.

Lynne said:
If PETA had been around in 1920-21, I wouldn't have insulin today for my diabetes. They tested it on a pooch.

I used to be very opposed to animal testing. I still am against it for cosmetics because those are not necessary for survival, however in school I had to take 2 semesters of Clinical Lab Animal courses. There are actually very strict regulations on the treatment of animals in Labs... That changed my mind on medical animal testing.
PETA just uses worst case scenarios and vivisection footage from 40 years ago to catch the attention of people who aren't going to do much research before jumping on the boat.

I hate to admit this (and for the new folks, I did admit in one topic a while back that I used to be a liberal...but I'm MUCH better now), however, 20 some odd years ago...I used to be a member of PETA. I knee jerked with the best of them. However, I only gave them money - I didn't destroy porperty...that's the only thing that relieves my conscious a tad bit.

masochusetts said:
however, 20 some odd years ago...I used to be a member of PETA.

[shock]

Okay, let's air out the dirty laundry.

Anybody else here vote for George McGovern??

Or Mike Dukakis?

[lol] [lol] [lol] My home state of Minnesota was one that did. [cry]

masochusetts said:
however, 20 some odd years ago...I used to be a member of PETA.

[shock]

Okay, let's air out the dirty laundry.

Anybody else here vote for George McGovern??

Or Mike Dukakis?

Umm, I guess I'm the token youngin' of the group. I don't think I'd quit hit puberty when Dukakis ran (though I do remember it...) However if we're having full disclosure here:

I VOTED FOR ROSS PEROT... TWICE!

(Hey, at least I didn't vote for Clinton...)

SiameseRat said:
Umm, I guess I'm the token youngin' of the group. I don't think I'd quit hit puberty when Dukakis ran (though I do remember it...)
That makes 2 of us...
I guess I was lucky.. Coming from a Military family, and raised to respect others and not to believe every bit of BS that's thrown your way I started my voting days looking for the little R's next to the names, and was told "If you don't see someone you know/like write your own name in"

Adam

I voted for Perot the first time. I figured Bush was going to win anyways, but wanted to send a "protest vote". I damned sure didn't vote for Slick Willie. Won't vote for the bitch he married, either.

Back
Top Bottom