Pediatrician Asks, Why Can’t I Talk To You About Guns In The Home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with you guys a bit on this. My kids doctor asked once and I told her honestly. I have nothing to hide,my guns are safely locked up in my safes. Lying is fine too, but what is telling the truth going to do? Now, if it was some random doctor that I didn't know well I would absolutely say no but this doctor has seen my vagina in the delivery room with all 3 kids I'm not really worried about telling her.

Lying is fine too, but what is telling the truth going to do?
it depends on what gets scribbled down, and where that ends up... friend of mine thought he was helping his doctor by being honest about his penchant to tip a few brewskis. Ya know, help his doctor get the whole picture in the interest of getting him the best care possible...and all was fine. Until he went to buy life insurance-

Sealed files are not sealed, and private information is anything but. Just sayin'

Kind off off topic but somewhat related....You should see the way they treat fathers in the hospital when you bring your wife in to deliver a baby. I went to take a leak and came back and saw domestic abuse pamphlets on the table next to her bed....The SECOND I left the room they rushed in to ask my wife if I beat her and if she wanted me there or not as they can have me removed if she doesn't feel safe. My wife was like, ummm no he's my husband and I obviously want him here. But then they still left the pamphlets for her to read.

White males are the ONLY group that you can blatantly discriminate against with no fear of consequences.

What freeking hospital did YOU go to? My daughter was born in November. The hospital staff was very good to both of us. None of that crap went on.

White males are the ONLY group that you can blatantly discriminate against with no fear of consequences.
While my wife and I were at the hospital when she was in labor, I had to step out of the room twice during the course of the day to get stuff from the car. Both times I was stopped by a nurse in the hallway upon trying to re-enter the room and told that I couldn't be there. The second time I actually had to call my wife on her cellphone and have her vouch for me that I was in fact her husband. Nevermind I was wearing the wristband and had the ID sticker thing on my shirt. The same thing happened about 6 months later at the same hospital when she was admitted for some minor surgery. She's white, I'm black, and the possibility that we could be married never occurred to the staff.

While my wife and I were at the hospital when she was in labor, I had to step out of the room twice during the course of the day to get stuff from the car. Both times I was stopped by a nurse in the hallway upon trying to re-enter the room and told that I couldn't be there. The second time I actually had to call my wife on her cellphone and have her vouch for me that I was in fact her husband. Nevermind I was wearing the wristband and had the ID sticker thing on my shirt. The same thing happened about 6 months later at the same hospital when she was admitted for some minor surgery. She's white, I'm black, and the possibility that we could be married never occurred to the staff.

Sometimes nurses need to be put in their place. Seriously.

For hospital stays the nurses run the show. Doctors are like special guest stars that show up once a day, make a quick appearance, and then the other 23.75 hours of the day is up to the nursing staff.

Last edited:
She's white, I'm black, and the possibility that we could be married never occurred to the staff.

Really? You asked them and that's what they told you?

"Sorry sir. That's a white woman, it never occurred to us that she might be married to a black man."

Or is that just your assumption?

For hospital stays the nurses run the show. Doctors are like special guest stars that show up once a day, make a quick appearance, and then the other 23.75 hours of the day is up to the nursing staff. They have doctor instructions (a lot of it "per RN (registered nurse)", but most of the time it's just waiting to heal or for some emergency to pop up.

Sounds like a nurse put a fast one over on you. p.r.n. is abbreviated Latin for pro re nata - "as needed"

Really? You asked them and that's what they told you?

"Sorry sir. That's a white woman, it never occurred to us that she might be married to a black man."

Or is that just your assumption?
For the first instance of the day when my wife was in labor, I'm just making an assumption based on the totality of the circumstances. The nurse asked me if I had the right room, I told her my wife's name and said I was her husband, and she seemed surprised as indicated by her facial expression. The second time that day, it was a different nurse, and after my wife confirmed that we were married the nurse apologized and said, "I'm SO sorry, I didn't realize, I just thought because...." and she trailed off like that while gesturing to her face as if to make some reference about appearance. I raised my eyebrows and said, "Because we have different skin color?" She turned red and repeated, "I'm SOOOOO sorry, sir."

For the first instance of the day when my wife was in labor, I'm just making an assumption based on the totality of the circumstances. The nurse asked me if I had the right room, I told her my wife's name and said I was her husband, and she seemed surprised as indicated by her facial expression. The second time that day, it was a different nurse, and after my wife confirmed that we were married the nurse apologized and said, "I'm SO sorry, I didn't realize, I just thought because...." and she trailed off like that while gesturing to her face as if to make some reference about appearance. I raised my eyebrows and said, "Because we have different skin color?" She turned red and repeated, "I'm SOOOOO sorry, sir."

Yeah, why would someone accused of being racist blush and apologize.

****ing confusing bunch of posts, that's what I say. So about those pediatricians?

****ing confusing bunch of posts, that's what I say. So about those pediatricians?
Lol, yeah, this right here. Sorry to everyone for inadvertently derailing the thread. I was just trying to commiserate with jhblaze1 and his maternity ward experiences. Back to our regularly scheduled programming [grin].

I disagree with you guys a bit on this. My kids doctor asked once and I told her honestly. I have nothing to hide,my guns are safely locked up in my safes. Lying is fine too, but what is telling the truth going to do? Now, if it was some random doctor that I didn't know well I would absolutely say no but this doctor has seen my vagina in the delivery room with all 3 kids I'm not really worried about telling her.

Yeah, why not give information to people who intend to later use it against you.

Embarrassment over the misunderstanding I suppose? Have I offended you in some way with my anecdote?

Probably not the misunderstanding itself as much as the presumed reason for it.

I think he feels ashamed that you have so much reason to believe the way you do. A lot of people who haven't experienced racism believe it just doesn't exist.

I'm sure if must be easier to get through life just assuming every slight you're on the short end of is due to your race.

wow...luckily I didn't have any of those problems once my wife confirmed I didn't beat her. After than they couldn't have been nicer to me (all of us). Sounds like some ****ed up racist bullshit in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom