• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

'Peaceable Journey' from Mass to OHIO?

I am planning on driving out to visit my adult son sometime after Labor Day. I want to gift 3 rifles and a shotgun to him. Do peaceable journey laws protect me in case I'm stopped along the way? When is the right time to submit my FA10s to transfer the firearms to him?

I will avoid NY state and travel through Pennsylvania.

What you mean is using FOPA. I suggest that you study the requirements for that carefully. They are different than MA laws.

I hope you mean you plan on transferring them to him via an FFL out in OH, because if you meant doing a private transfer, you might end up his roommate in Federal prison for your generosity. It's illegal to do private transfers between 2 people who do not live in the same state, that is Fed Law, nothing to do with MA!

I am planning on driving out to visit my adult son sometime after Labor Day. I want to gift 3 rifles and a shotgun to him. Do peaceable journey laws protect me in case I'm stopped along the way? When is the right time to submit my FA10s to transfer the firearms to him?

FOPA is not a peacable journey law. RI is the only state in this area that really has what you're talking about... lock your crap up per FOPA, tuck it away, and you'll be fine.

You will need an FFL at his end to effect the transfers, an FA-10 won't cut it. (federal law) The gift exemption does not override the residency requirements. You guys are dissimilar residents so you can't do an FTF. There is no FA-10 bullshit for you, just keep a receipt from the remote dealer in OH that does the transfers so you'll have a record for yourself. (not required by law but its nice to know where your stuff went. )

-Mike

Peaceable journey. Plan for peace, prepare for war. Take some boxes of ammo under FOPA rules just in case the SHTF when you are on the road.

He are 2 scenarios I might be facing. First daughter is a MA resident going to school in MO. I can bring her her gun with no issues as long as it is transferred properly, or can I ship it directly to her? If I wanted to gift her a firearm while she is at school would that be possible FTF, or since she is in MO and that is where the transfer would take place, does it have to go through an FFL?

Key to this:

- WHO owns the gun? If she owns it already and you deliver it to her, GTG.

- If YOU own the gun? It must be transferred to her thru a MO dealer OR when she comes home to visit (she's a dual resident, per BATFE Ruling 80-21) you can transfer via eFA-10 to her as a MA Resident (IIRC she has her LTC).

- Fed Law says that only the owner of the gun can ship to themselves or an FFL (dealer, gunsmith, mfr), so if she owns it you can't ship it to her. Additionally, UPS and FedEx regulations they will no longer accept any gun shipments unless it is either going or coming to/from an FFL. And handguns can't be shipped by anyone other than a dealer/mfr per Fed'l USPO Regs.

Any other questions on this? You know how to reach me directly.

Back
Top Bottom