PD called today.. about my C&R application? Update

I got a vm on my phone tonight. They wanted to talk to me about my license? It must be related to my C&R application- which they were sent a copy.

Any idea what they may want to talk with me about? Is this std procedure?

Last edited:
Maybe they've never seen one before and are calling to ask what it's all about? I wouldn't get too worried just yet.

Maybe they've never seen one before and are calling to ask what it's all about? I wouldn't get too worried just yet.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. What should I say? So I can get old firearms shipped to me direct without have to pay an FFL?

It's actually so I can get parts, reloading stuff from stores at better prices!

Would say that you collect old firearms and would like them shipped
directly to you. Nothing else.

Jim

I would actually avoid mention the shipping leeways. If they don't know what a C&R is in the first place, they will likely be very befuddled by this.

I would actually avoid mention the shipping leeways. If they don't know what a C&R is in the first place, they will likely be very befuddled by this.

Exactly. Some things are better left unsaid. If pressed, you want to be able to collect Curios and Relics. Period.

I'd just explain to them that its a license that offers you the ability to collect Curio and Relic firearms and allows for FFL discounts from places such as Midway and Numrich.
They probably want to make sure you understand the laws regarding a bound book, etc.

I always heard that when you send the CLEO a copy of your C&R application, you should include a little note to inform them that (1) the only reason they are getting a copy is because the BATF requires you to send them a copy and that (2) they do not have to do anything with the copy of the application, it does NOT require their approval, and is just for their records.

As far as I know, the only thing they can do is notify the BATF with specific detailed reasons why you should be DENIED approval of the application. The reasons for recommending denial have to be valid, not just their "opinion", and furthermore the application does NOT require the CLEO "approval"...they have nothing to do with that aspect.

My guess is that the reason they are contacting you is because they have NO idea what the C&R FFL application is....

I wouldn't tell them about having them shipped to you. Just tell them you like old guns.

If they are too stupid to know what it is, tough noogies for them.

B

I got a vm on my phone tonight. They wanted to talk to me about my license? It must be related to my C&R application- which they were sent a copy.

Any idea what they may want to talk with me about? Is this std procedure?

The experience I had when I first applied for mine some years ago- I sent my notification to the chief letting him know I was applying for an C&R license. His concern was that I was planning on collecting machine guns. He wanted to make it clear that if I was planning on doing that (which I was not) I had to get my MG license and that he required special security measures (safe, home security, alarm with dialer ect...) as well.

Then when I moved and notifed my new chief of my possesion of a C&R license he also wanted to know if there were any MG's in my collection.

Perhaps they want to ask you about the same thing... I don't know. That is just what I experienced. As soon as I said MG's were not my intention the C&R was no big deal.

Or maybe they want to remind you that it does not allow you to "buy and sell" as if you were a dealer.

Good luck with it!

The local PD? I'd be surprised at that.

You'd be surprised. Like Whitey627 mentioned, I've seen numerous posts on other forums about people getting calls from the PD and random calls by the ATF to check up and make sure they know the laws of what they can and can't do.
Most of the calls were to make sure the holder had their book, knew how to enter the guns, knew the about selling, etc.
Yes its unlikely that the average PD would check up on C&R license holders, but it does happen.

The Issue with the MGs question is because they look at a C&R as a qualifier to be a "Bonified Collector" under state law to get the MG license. That is the reason i got mine though i have not pursued it yet. The Officer who issues the licenses in Carver told me that was the first step and once i had it he would put my app through. He is no longer doing licenses and i have not got a feel for the new guy yet.

I always heard that when you send the CLEO a copy of your C&R application, you should include a little note to inform them that (1) the only reason they are getting a copy is because the BATF requires you to send them a copy and that (2) they do not have to do anything with the copy of the application, it does NOT require their approval, and is just for their records.

Now there's some good advice. Wish I'd had it a week ago, before I mailed in my applications. Oh well, live and learn.

-Cuz.

I would tell them that
the only reason they are getting a copy is because the BATF requires you to send them a copy and that they do not have to do anything with the copy of the application, it does NOT require their approval, and is just for their records.

I also would not mention anything about the shipping they may not be familiar with the C&R stuff and will think you are trying to find loopholes.

I would tell them you NEED the license so you can build an arsenal of large caliber military weapons, and have them and the ammo shipped straight to your door, without anyone in the middle to raise suspicions, and possibly "out" your plan to take over the town!

I would tell them you NEED the license so you can build an arsenal of large caliber military weapons, and have them and the ammo shipped straight to your door, without anyone in the middle to raise suspicions, and possibly "out" your plan to take over the town!

AND also make sure he understands your immense fear of the SHTF and your need to prepare.[wink]

You'd be surprised.

Color me surprised. I never thought about the MG angle, as I have no interest in collecting them. Not that I could afford to for that matter. To me the C&R is a tool to facilitate collecting some interesting historic weapons, mostly bolt action rifles for that matter.

Gary

AND also make sure he understands your immense fear of the SHTF and your need to prepare.[wink]

...AND...

Close by telling him, "And if you don't like it, then let me see you come over here and take me alive, Copper!"

Color me surprised. I never thought about the MG angle, as I have no interest in collecting them. Not that I could afford to for that matter. To me the C&R is a tool to facilitate collecting some interesting historic weapons, mostly bolt action rifles for that matter.

Gary

Ahh! Evil Sniper rifles?

When you go to talk to him, be sure to wear a boonie hat, camouflage cargo pants, spit shined jump boots and a "Vote From the Rooftops" t-shirt... just so he understands where you're coming from.

Gary

Pretty much why I wanted mine too- not to mention the deals.

There are some MG's on the C&R list too I believe.

Back
Top Bottom