Paul Taylor

News from Mike L;

GPaul is showing improvement. He is alert and is aware of Judy's presence. He is able to hold her hand, and is responsive.

Thanks,
Mike Luciano

Last edited:
On 8/10/07 9:52 AM, "Mike Luciano" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi there,

Paul is still stable and he is alert and responsive. I contacted his family this morning.

No updates yesterday, but I suppose no news was good news.

He's hanging in there!

Thanks,
Mike Luciano

I think there are many people interested in his status including myself. can you post more info Gary?

Here's an update on Paul,

Although it may be a long road, Paul is on the road to recovery. They removed the breathing tube, and he is breathing on his own. He is moving his arms and legs, and even had a little therapy today. He has been experiencing headaches, so they have been keeping him medicated for the pain. The meds have left him a little groggy. He is still in ICU. I got the card over to Judy, and she gave it to Paul with one of my "I'm shooting this match with Gramps" pins. He was told about the picture on the Manville stage, and the card's being signed. He knows everyone is thinking about him, and pulling for his recovery. He is aware of the many people who care about him.

Things are looking up, so lets please keeping focusing that positive energy and prayers on Paul's recovery.

Thank you,
Mike Luciano

I stopped by and visited Paul after the match in Manville a couple of weeks ago. He had been moved from the ICU to general population. Paul was speaking with difficulty, and moving both hands. He wife told me he had a very small stroke while walking on the beach but that the symptoms passed, and he was hit with the big one later. She told me it was at the "back of his brain" and an "uncommon" type of stroke, which sounds very much like a cerebellar stroke.

Paul's wife mentioned he is moving to rehab soon on the 4th floor of the same hospital (I expect this has already happened), and the doctors told him to expect to be out of work until at least January 1.

I only know one other person who had a cerebellar stroke and he is in his late 70's with numerous other medical problems, however, I do know that he was not effected by the classic one sided paralysis characteristic of strokes in the upper brain.

Only time will tell.

Paul is doing well. He is still in a private room near ICU where he can be monitored as is needed for a few weeks. Every day is a little bit better but it will take some time and a lot of therapy which has already been started.

When I visited he knew me and even tried to give me a hard time. I explained to him he was in no position to give anyone a hard time so he needed to knock it off. Paul is Paul [wink]

Right now, I am looking at no news being good news. His day to day trials, challenges, set backs, and leaps forward will be kept between Paul and his wife. For now, the positive thoughts are still needed.

9X21, please send me an e mail so I can include you in future e mail updates.

Round Gun Shooter

Regards,

Update 09-07

This will be my last update here on Paul's condition. For those that did not get my recent e mail, please contact me direct if you would like to be put on the list.
====================================================

Greetings all:
Well, it has been a month since our mutual friend had his stroke. How fast time flies.

I visited Paul today and found he had been moved. No, they did not get tired on him on the 4th floor, he had a minor set back that necessitated his move to a medical floor rather than rehab. Paul has pneumonia that needs to be brought under control. Not at all uncommon for those on bed rest.

I spent about an hour with him and found him in very good spirits. As he said, this is just another bump in the road. We talked for some time. His speech is much better than when I last saw him. His memory is good, his attitude is great and it will just be a time thing.

He is expecting to be out of the hospital end of the month but that is a projected date that can change. His "Internal gyroscope" is still askew so he needs to work on his balance. He said he sees double which made me twice as ugly. I suggested to the nurse he needed an enema. (That will teach him to pick on me)

All in all it was a very good visit. He appreciates the well wishes and enjoys the cards.

On to bigger things:

I am planning a raffle as a fund raiser to thank Paul for all he has contributed so far to us as shooters.

I am ordering the tickets this week and plan to have them ready to sell by end of the month. The tickets will be $25 each or a book of 5 for $100

The prizes will be as follows so far:

1st prize: STI frame serial number "GRAMPS-T-08" STI was very kind to me with the pricing on this.
2nd and 3rd prize will each be a slide suitable for a limited gun donated by SVI (Thanks Scrivner for your help)
4th prize is a DPMS Stripped lower receiver for a standard AR15
5th prize will be a set of Sevigney sights donated by MLE Enterprises
6th prize is an autographed copy of "Practical Shooting, Beyond the Fundamentals" Brian Enos and donated by Brian.
6th, 7th, and 8th prize will be a range rug and Magazine pouch embroidered with the MLE Logo donated by Mike at MLE Enterprises
9th prize will be a Smith & Wesson range bag

As you can see, there will be many chances to win. As the organizer, I will not have a ticket in the raffle and winners will be drawn by someone not involved in any way.

All money collected from the ticket sales will go to Paul and Judy. I will e mail when I have the tickets in hand and explain how sales will take place.

Paul does not know about this raffle and hopefully will not find out before the drawing.

Thanks to all, send him a card. Current room is 539 at Kent Hospital. He tires very fast so cards may be better than visits right now.

I am going to end this with a joke Mike sent me that is Paul all the way:
===============================================
A male patient is lying in bed in the hospital, wearing an oxygen mask over
his mouth and nose.

A young, student nurse appears to give him a partial sponge bath. 'Nurse',
he mumbles, from behind the mask. 'Are my testicles black?'

Embarrassed, the young nurse replies, 'I don't know, Sir. I'm only here to
wash your upper body and feet.'He struggles to ask again, 'Nurse, please
check. Are my testicles black?'

Concerned that he may elevate his blood pressure and heart rate from worry
about his testicles, she overcomes her embarrassment and pulls back the
covers. She raises his gown, holds his manhood in one hand and his testicles
in the other.

Then, she takes a close look and says, There's nothing wrong with them,Sir!'

The man pulls off his oxygen mask, smiles at her and says very slowly,
'Thank you very much. That was wonderful, but, listen very, very
closely......
<scroll down>

'A r e - m y - t e s t - r e s u l t s - b a c k?'
==============================================================

Best regards,

Last edited:
I am bumping this to the top with a little progress report;

Paul has been home for a couple weeks. He is improving but still has a long road.

The raffle ticket sales have dropped off quite a bit and the gas to go to these matches to sell one or two tickets has become a little too much.

I will be at Independent this Saturday and will then give it until December 01. If ticket sales are dead at that point, I will plan the drawing so I can send a check for Christmas from all the shooters.

One last link to the space Mike has given me for this.

http://mle-shootingsports.com/GrampsRaffle.htm

Thanks to all,

Gary

The raffle ticket sales have dropped off quite a bit and the gas to go to these matches to sell one or two tickets has become a little too much.

I will be at Independent this Saturday and will then give it until December 01. If ticket sales are dead at that point, I will plan the drawing so I can send a check for Christmas from all the shooters.
Gary

Gary, if it's the time going to the matches, and the cost of gas that's an issue, why don't you just give me a stack of them to try to sell for you since I go to all the matches anyway, and everyone will know they can see me for them. I'll be at Manville on Sunday, and can promote them, and I can be at Independant on Saturday if you want to give me some, then tell me when you want the stuff mailed to you. There are only two more dates for matches left this season, Sunday and then 1st week of December, either Bass River or Westfield. I'll be at Manville and Bass River, so it's no problem to bring them.

Gary, if it's the time going to the matches, and the cost of gas that's an issue, why don't you just give me a stack of them to try to sell for you since I go to all the matches anyway, and everyone will know they can see me for them. I'll be at Manville on Sunday, and can promote them, and I can be at Independant on Saturday if you want to give me some, then tell me when you want the stuff mailed to you. There are only two more dates for matches left this season, Sunday and then 1st week of December, either Bass River or Westfield. I'll be at Manville and Bass River, so it's no problem to bring them.

Thanks Matt, I will give you some for Manville. I will be at Bass River in Dec. Went to Westfield this week and sold 2 tickets.

It seems I have hit all that are interested but every one counts at this point. Many just don't have the cash to buy a ticket.

See you at Independent.

Gary

Thought this could use a bump in case anyone wanted to get in on the raffle before the drawing. Certainly is for a great guy.

-Cuz.

The winners have been drawn

Thanks to all that participated in the raffle. The check will be delivered next Saturday just in time for Christmas.

For everyone that helped in this, a big thanks.

And Scriv, I am very glad to know you. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom