Paul Taylor

TY43215

NES Member
From Mrs. Gramps
Gary,

Bad news, Paul has had a massive stroke and was admitted to the ICU at Kent Hospital last night. The doctors are telling me the next 24 to 72 hours are critical and we do not know the outcome at this time. I am headed back to the hospital now. They have him heavily sedated and on a vent. He was having an MRI and MRA this afternoon so I am hoping to get some more news when I go back in. I will keep Mike updated and have him pass along the information.

Mrs Gramps

Please keep Paul and his family in your prayers. Please DO NOT CALL HIS HOUSE. When his wife is not at the hospital, she will need her rest. Mike L will keep me informed, and anyone wishing updates can e mail me at

EMAIL I will pass along info as I get it to those interested.

Paul is a good friend to me and has helped me a great deal in this sport. Our moral support at this time is needed.

Gary

Last edited:
Gary,

If there is anything we can do to help Paul and his family, please let us know. My Prayers and thoughts go out to him and his family

We will include Paul and his family in our family prayers. Please keep us posted and when you can give us an address to send cards to.

Paul is one of the nicest people you will meet!

Respectfully,

jkelly

We will include Paul and his family in our family prayers. Please keep us posted and when you can give us an address to send cards to.

For those who do not know Paul, please pray for a really good person!
I only know him from this sport, He is the type of man we would all like to call friend.

JH

Paul is really one of the nicest people, it's things like this happening to good people that make me wonder where is the fairness in life?
I know there have been many advances with anticlotting medications for strokes, and can only hope he's getting the best there is, and gets back to being himself, quickly.

Paul is a RN in a pediatric ICU when he's working, and a one man show running the only USPSA club matches in RI each month. I'll +1 all the positive comments other have made about him. Although no kid, Paul is *way* below the age where one would expect this sort of thing to happen. As to fairness in life - there isn't any. We can each strive to do our small part to mitigate that by being decent to others, but no matter what, life is really held together by a fragile thread.

All:

I got an e mail from Mike L. As it stands tonight, Paul is resting comfortably. He is heavily sedated and on a ventilator to allow his body to relax and hopefully prevent more problems.

He has had 2 strokes they are aware of in a 24 hour period. They will not know anything for a couple days.

Paul is a great guy with a big heart as stated by others that know him. He does in home care with children on ventilators for the RI District Nurse Assoc nights 11P to 7A. That is a job I could never think of doing but he does it with a smile and a sense of loyalty to his clients.

I will not go into what he has done for me in this sport, but as cantankerous as the little troll always is, we have grown to be friends. We revolver shooters kind of stick together. Paul, Mooney and I have been shooting three sports together for a couple years now. Paul and I are close in age so the rivalry never stops. (I have already sent a message telling him I am pissed at him as I planned to kick his ass at the Walls of Steel match. I will still go, but it won't be the same. He was the reason I was going.)

Cards, letters, and flowers will not be accepted in the ICU. A match get well card can be posted at the Manville stage for the sectional for all to sign. I am sure Matt or Mike L will make sure he gets it. (Funny, when he first started getting sick last night his thought was would there be enough help for set up)

The nurses at the hospital are starting a prayer chain to help one of their own get well. I am not overly religious, but I will be praying for Paul over the next few days, weeks, and months to come that he has a full and speedy recovery.

In a time of need, there is no group better than the shooters I have met over the years. Like the Nurses praying for Paul, we look out for our own too. Pray for Paul and his family that he is back home aggravating us all as only Paul can do [wink]

Sincerely,

Last edited:
Rob, thanks for explaining who Paul is. Not being a competitive shooter, I do not know him.

However, I'll add my thoughts and prayers that he's able to fully recover from this terrible situation, as well as for his Family and Friends to have the strength to help him through this.

Gary, Seeing that you will be posting a card at the sectional, I'll not bring one so I dont cause any confusion with it.

Hal, I figured your card could go at the Manville stage. I am setting up Thursday with the Bass River guys but I will not be at the match. Confusion was caused by me, sorry.

Edit to add:

For those that do not know Paul, here is a pic with a friend of his I took at the 2006 AWARE match. (He's gonna kill me for this one)

GRAMPSFRIEND.jpg

Last edited:
There's no justice in life. When a person like Paul gets stricken like this. He's in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm praying for you Paul, please get well soon, we need to see you on the range wearing shorts, with that smile and outstreched hand.

As Gary mentioned, one of Paul's first concerns was to figure out how to get the Manville stage built for this weekend's match. His wife Judy even followed up on an e-mail (that Paul and I had been exchanging) to explain what was happening. So when you think about commitment, think about Paul.

I asked Judy to tell Paul that his stage will be handled in his absence, and to tell the crotchety old Gramps that his only job right now is to get well quickly. I also asked Judy to tell us if there is anything we can do because Paul has a whole bunch of shooting friends who think the world of him and who would do anything to help.

Great pic of Gramps.

I also asked Judy to tell us if there is anything we can do because Paul has a whole bunch of shooting friends who think the world of him and who would do anything to help.

+1

UPDATE

Not much news today. Surgery to relieve pressure on the brain. Still playing the waiting game.

As for the Manville Stage, I will be there Thursday setting up with Tim from Bass River. I will do what I can then. I am working my real job Friday and possibly Saturday but will do what I can.

Edit to add: He was taken into surgery again in the afternoon. as of 8PM they were waiting for him to come out of recovery.

Last edited:
Since this wasnt posted yet...

I got this from Mike Luciano;

I just got off the phone with Judy. She has been at the hospital since 7:00 am.

Paul went into surgery early this morning. He was doing better by early afternoon. He was moving his legs and arms, and they talked about removing the vent by tomorrow. When they took more x-rays a little later, they noticed that things were not working out as planned. By 5:00pm, they gave Judy an option to go back in, and do some more work. He is not back from recovery yet. It sounds like they are being very cautious with their predictions. Nobody will know the final affects from the strokes and the surgeries, until he wakes up and they do an evaluation.

Once again, the next 72 hours are the most critical. Please join me in strong positive thinking and prayers..

I wish that the news was better, but we can't count the old guy out yet. He's still in there swinging. He's got more tenacity in his little toe than many people have in their whole body, so he'll keep fighting it.

I'll let you know if I hear anything more, but I don't expect any more news tonight.

Thanks,
Mike Luciano

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom