Paracord

Boghog1

NES Member
Looking to find some paracord that has a thin black thread in the middle along with the 7 or 8 strands of the white. I was given some once but they didn't recall where or who they got it from. Has anyone seen what I am talking about

like this?

paracord7strands.jpg

Don't have any myself, I have some shitty Rothco which definitely isn't this.... but I believe this is what you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Mil-Spec-Paracord-Type-MIL-C-5040H/dp/B0089Q3HSO

Apparently there is a huge difference between regular commercial 550 cord and MIL-C-5040

There's a huge difference between MIL-C-5040 "types" of Paracord too. Type III is the "550" with a 550lb breaking force, Type IV is the top of the line with 750lb breaking force and there are Types I, IA, II, and IIA with lower level breaking strengths. I bet the commercial para cord is Type I or IA, as it's likely cheaper to manufacture.

Link to Paracord spec, as found on Google:
http://www.takknife.com/training_knives_g000017.pdf

Is the Rothco that bad? I have some that I got from Amazon and it seems good to me. I haven't tested it out though. What are the issues with it?

It's thin, not likely to test up to 550lb. One of the advantages to paracord is the ability to use the individual strands, these are obviously less useful the weaker they are. I find it stretches wayyyyyy too much also, particularly when wet. Its fine for cheap general purpose cordage, but very different from real "paracord"

I am still looking for the specific type that has 8 inner strands, 7 strands that were triple weave and an eighth black strand that looked like 20lb braided fishing line, it was strong and I couldn't break it without it cutting into my hands

The black core strand could have been a manufacturer ID Strand. This is common on Mil Spec cordage.
There are many mil spec manufacturers of 5040 cord. This could be difficult. I will try to track down the info.

I am still looking for the specific type that has 8 inner strands, 7 strands that were triple weave and an eighth black strand that looked like 20lb braided fishing line, it was strong and I couldn't break it without it cutting into my hands

If it is true MIL-C-5040 type III (I think) it is the 8 strand you are looking for. The 8th strand is a braided strand that can vary in color usually black or green with white that will cut you before you can break it with your hands. You will pay quite a bit extra for the "real" thing. If they are charging you $30 for 1000 yards it's probably not the real deal. Try a place like goinggear or 5col they have carried the real deal in the past.

If it is true MIL-C-5040 type III (I think) it is the 8 strand you are looking for. The 8th strand is a braided strand that can vary in color usually black or green with white that will cut you before you can break it with your hands. You will pay quite a bit extra for the "real" thing. If they are charging you $30 for 1000 yards it's probably not the real deal. Try a place like goinggear or 5col they have carried the real deal in the past.

I have spoke with those that have actual contracts with governments, 7 strands is mil spec 550, there is one strand that is multi colored to identify the manufacturer.

rwrope.com

you're best bet. trust me.
they are the ones selling to the suppliers listed above.

ask for ray. if you can get there it's well worth it. awesome company. tons of knowledge, amazing customer service and election second to none. you can't beat the fact that you're paying super low prices to boot.

I have spoke with those that have actual contracts with governments, 7 strands is mil spec 550, there is one strand that is multi colored to identify the manufacturer.

It is my understanding that the military started using some 8 strand several years ago. The specs only require 7 strands, but 8 (or even 9)can be used. Check this: http://www.dlis.dla.mil/webflis/pub/pub_search.aspx and search for NSN 4020002622147 or here: http://www.govliquidation.com/nsn_info/40200/4020002622147.html.

I can tell you that my wife's brother brought back some after his second tour in Iraq, it was 8 strand and it was "issued". You can really tell the difference between true spec 7 or 8 strand and the fake stuff if you compare them side by side.

- - - Updated - - -

rwrope.com

you're best bet. trust me.
they are the ones selling to the suppliers listed above.

ask for ray. if you can get there it's well worth it. awesome company. tons of knowledge, amazing customer service and election second to none. you can't beat the fact that you're paying super low prices to boot.

rwrope was another place I was trying to think of. They sell the real deal as well. I actually bought some "coreless" from them to use for sleeving cables.

Last edited:
Does it have the extra strand?

The description of what he linked you to: (I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for)
•Our Type 3 paracord has 8 core strands (including the marker strand).
•All 8 core strands are 3-ply, including the green and white marker strand.
•Minimum break strength: 550 lbs
•Elongation percentage: 30%
•Length per pound of paracord: 225'
•Military NSN: 4020-283-4783, 4020-00-071-3531
•Outer Nylon sheath has min. break strength of 300 lbs
•Conforms to MIL-C-5040H and PIA-C-5040
•This is military grade cord, NOT commercial grade.
•Looking for something stronger? We also offer Type IV Paracord with a minimum break strength of 750!
•Testing shows Average Break Strength over 600 lbs
•5/32" Diameter
•Suitable for use with parachutes
•An UP-TO-DATE factory certificate of conformance is available upon request for all 5col Survival Supply paracord

It references their Type IV Paracord which has a higher breaking strength, which is here:
http://www.5col.net/750-Parachute-Cord-MIL-C-5040H-PIA-C-5040/dp/B009B1PJ0A?field_availability=-1&field_browse=5700483011&id=750+Parachute+Cord+MIL-C-5040H+PIA-C-5040&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchNodeID=5700483011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

Product Details

5col Survival Supply sells only military grade paracord conforming to MIL-C-5040H and the newer PIA-C-5040 specifications. This cord is suitable for use in parachutes. A factory certificate of conformance is available (upon request) for all cord sold in our store. 5col Survival Supply paracord is manufactured in the United States by a company that supplies parachutes and related supplies to the US military. The cord for sale here is the same cord used in those parachutes. Other possible uses: Rigging, Lashing, Shelter Construction, Traps, Snares, Rigging, Trot Lines, Gill Nets, Braids, Wraps, etc.
•Our Type 4 paracord has 11 core strands (including the marker strand).
•All core strands are 3-ply.
•Minimum break strength: 750 lbs
•Elongation percentage: 30%
•Length per pound of paracord: 165'
•Military NSN: 4020-283-4783, 4020-00-071-3531
•3/16" Outer Diameter
•Outer Nylon sheath has min. break strength of 300 lbs
•Conforms to MIL-C-5040H and PIA-C-5040
•This is military grade cord, NOT commercial grade.

Back
Top Bottom