Para feeding problem

1903Collector

NES Member
Went to the range Saturday to finally try out my para 1911 in 38 super. Unfortunately, I couldn't get thru one magazine without a a feed jam. The slide would strip a round from the magazine then the round gets stuck as it goes up the feed ramp and starts to enter the chamber, this was really pissing me off. Anyone had any probelms like this and if so what did you do. Someone suggested that it may be a problem with the extractor.

Thanks,
03C

Empty the mag and make sure the follower isn't getting hung up on anything. Push it all the way down with a pen or something, just making sure it travels relatively smoothly. It could be getting hung up on a manufacturing artifact within the mag and needs some 'exercise' to smooth it out.

Is it new or used? If it's new, I think Para has a 200+ round "break-in" period. How many rounds through it?

Could be the magazines, recoil spring, or ammo too. Try it with all different mags and ammo. Clean it , lube it, try again.

Could also be the feedramp. You can try polishing the ramp, or take it to a gun smith.

If all else fails, send it back to Para. They're service is pretty good IMO.

Last edited:
Single stack or double stack?

First thing to blame would be the mags. How far up the breach face is the cartridge making it? Is the extractor interfering with its climb?

Pictures would really help.

Last edited:
Single stack or double stack?

First thing to blame would be the mags. How far up the breach face is the cartridge making it? Is the extractor interfering with its climb?

Pictures would really help.

Gun is new, using 130gr ball ammo, single stack. The round clears the magazine and then the round gets caught up at a steep angle between the lower part of the breechface, the bullet tip is in the chamber. Is it possible for four mags to have the same problem? I haven't been able to upload pics since the server went down a while back, don't know if that has been fixed yet?

Try photobucket.com for images.

Can four mags be bad? Well if they are all the same brand and are a bad design they might be. Especially in a gun where function is already marginal.

I just realized this is a Para with a ramped barrel. I don't know much about ramped barrels. If it hasn't gotten near the extractor yet then the problem lies elsewhere. If there are no obvious tool marks or flaws on the ramp then the problem is likely with the angle that the cartridges are being presented to the ramp. That is a mag problem, or barrel fit (barrel links down into wrong position), or a frame problem (barrel bed is in the wrong position). Either way the problem belongs to Para. I would try and get rid of it or demand a new gun. It is unlikely they will ever make the repairs necessary to get it functioning reliably.

I would look seriously at the OAL of the ammo. Find someone that loads Super and try their reloads for function. Many problems can be cured with a change of ammunition.

Regards,

I couldn't have said it better myself. I had a custom 1911 in .38 super built and my first trip to the range was less than enjoyable. I couldn't get this gun to cycle and couldn't get the rounds to go into battery. I called the gunsmith and his solution was to increase the powder in my loads. I did that and the problem went away. I'm guessing the problem is with the ammo and not the gun. What exactly are you using for ammo? Is it reloaded ammo and where did you get it and what exact components are you using? If it is factory then what brand? .38 super factory ammo isn't the easiest to come accross.

my super won't feed because I didnt have enough case tension. the sizing die was out of spec. most of the recoil springs energy was soaked setting back the bullet. it didn't have enought to fully chamber the round

I couldn't have said it better myself. I had a custom 1911 in .38 super built and my first trip to the range was less than enjoyable. I couldn't get this gun to cycle and couldn't get the rounds to go into battery. I called the gunsmith and his solution was to increase the powder in my loads. I did that and the problem went away. I'm guessing the problem is with the ammo and not the gun. What exactly are you using for ammo? Is it reloaded ammo and where did you get it and what exact components are you using? If it is factory then what brand? .38 super factory ammo isn't the easiest to come accross.

Federal AE 130gr FMJ+P is the ammo I am using. I know it's not the best ammo but I have NEVER had factory ammo give me this much trouble, ever.

Federal AE 130gr FMJ+P is the ammo I am using. I know it's not the best ammo but I have NEVER had factory ammo give me this much trouble, ever.
Saying a gun is a picky eater is another way of saying it's broken. Don't stand for it, especially if it is a new gun.

Double check and ensure that the OAL of this factory ammo is in fact sane.

I recommend trying a Metalform magazine in .38 Super or a factory Colt magazine (some also by Metalform). You can get them from Brownells. Borrow a magazine if you can.

Again, pictures of the jam and the magazines would be worth a lot.

The gun is being checked as we speak and hopefully I will have it back by Monday. I will post the cause of this problem when I find out.

Thanks guys....
03C

Saying a gun is a picky eater is another way of saying it's broken. Don't stand for it, especially if it is a new gun.

Again you show your limited practical knowledge and limited experience. Many firearms in this world are ammunition sensitive. 38Super is one of those calibers that since not a lot of shooters use factory, the ammunition needs to be reloaded to fit. As stated, many firearm problems are ammo problems.

If you think we care you do not respond, maybe this is you

Against my better judgment.
RGS, we aren't disagreeing...

I think we are. You stated

My statement was
I would look seriously at the OAL of the ammo. Find someone that loads Super and try their reloads for function. Many problems can be cured with a change of ammunition.

To clarify, I do not think if it is ammo related it is a gun problem but it is an ammo problem.

That said, I have not seen the gun and have not shot it. It may be a gun problem but from experience, that is not always the case with a "Picky Eater".

I will bow out of this now and wait until the real problem is announced.

Regards,

I have a .38 super from Para and have used two different brands of ammunition and both worked just fine. The brands are Magtech and Winchester. Both functioned perfectly. The ammuntion was FMJ +P loads. I usually use Magtech because it's much more reasonable to purchase. If you want to try Magtech, I know the Middleboro Gun Shop has some. If you find the ammunition doesn't work properly, just send the gun to para as you probably have a funtional problem. I have had a number of issues with feeding of ammuntion with new Para guns. Para usually ends up polishing the feed ramp and any other areas where possible.

The gun is being checked as we speak and hopefully I will have it back by Monday. I will post the cause of this problem when I find out.

Thanks guys....
03C

I spoke to Santurri today and he was going to check it out. I bet it needs feed ramp work and springs to match your ammo, or vice versa. Could be the mags. My 9mm Metalform mags needed a bunch of tuning by ScottB. Dave gets a lot of those in there. A couple months ago I actually brought a bunch of .38 Super loaded by .38SuperMatt over to Dave for testing in a customer's gun in the same situation. A .38 Super isn't like a .45, they need tuning. That's why there's a market for stuff like $60 AFTEC extractors and mag tuning, and the reason for the development of the of SuperComp, etc. Probably why they aren't so popular, but when they are straightened out they are really cool to shoot. When you get it back come over to East Warren (real close to Somerset) and we can try it out on the plates and get some Super lessons from Matt (don't blame me if he steals your brass when you aren't looking though).

I spoke to Santurri today and he was going to check it out. I bet it needs feed ramp work and springs to match your ammo, or vice versa.

That's certainly possible I guess. My first thought is that it does not say much for para, to let a gun leave the factory like that. Eh, but who knows. I have been shooting or twenty years and this is My first 38 super so what do I know [laugh]

Para 1911 Fail to Feed

I purchased a PXT14-45E-MB I had the same problem and I too thought that the mags were bad, or the ramp needed to be polished, but that was not the issue. I found that the sear and disconnector were of such poor quality that they were slowing the slide on return. In fact, the disconnector would not depress when the slide tried to close and could actually hold the slide open if I held the trigger back after a shot. The hardest part about this was I would release the trigger, the slide would come forward, but not with the same force as a full return.

I replaced all of the internals except the sear spring (I bought one but it was too short) and the gun works smoothly and flawless every time. If you smith is having a problem finding the cause of this, have him hold the trigger back and rack the slide to see if the disconnector is operating properly. I found this issue accidentily when I was doing the series of function tests for a used gun as found in the Kuhnhausen 1911 books. Since I did not return the gun to Para, none of this has been verified so I am speaking from my own experience; not factory verified information.

I was severly criticized on another board for not sending it back to Para and giving them a chance to "make it right", but I did not want to be without a brand new gun for a month or more nor did I want the same "quality" parts put in the gun.

I am with you, Para needs to better control the quality of their product!

Good Luck!

The solution (I think)

Sounds like the problem ended up being the extractor. Guess it was to stiff for lack of a better word, and it would prevent the cartridge from slipping under it causing the jam. It's at the range now being tested. Fingers are crossed. Ted at Northeast told me he had another Para in 45 that was doing the same thing and it also ended up being the extractor.

03C....

I believe it was the super duper power extractor [laugh]

This was the exact problem with my Warthog. An utter piece of krap. I had the same behavior over multiple mags, shooters, types of ammo, Para "repairs" and gunsmith visits. Do a search for "Para problems" and you'll see what I posted. If you do decide to keep the gun, I sincerely wish you the best of luck, but life is too short to be coddling guns that historically (at least of late) have been reliability nightmares.

Finally got it to the range Sunday and it is much improved, instead of a jam every magazine, I got one every fourth or fifth magazine and it tended to get even less as I fired it more so perhaps with a few hundred more rounds thru it the problem will dissapear for good, I hope...[thinking]

Finally got it to the range Sunday and it is much improved, instead of a jam every magazine, I got one every fourth or fifth magazine and it tended to get even less as I fired it more so perhaps with a few hundred more rounds thru it the problem will dissapear for good, I hope...[thinking]

We'll keep our fingers crossed, too [wink]

Back
Top Bottom