• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Painting your gun.

wasralex22

NES Member
I am curious to know everyone's opinion on painting their weapons. I know there is much debate, on the proper way and what colors to use. I always paint most of my guns Dark Earth, and sort match it with OD Green. Living here in Mass, we have a lot of wooded areas. What is the best colors to use? And would you paint all your guns including your pistol?

Krylon camo spray bomb in FDE, Brown, and OD Green should do the trick. Black doesn't exist very much at all in nature, so avoid overusing it. Use lighter colors for crevasses and save darker shades for protruding areas. the toughest part is that first line of spray...after that, you're basically 'all in'. Theres all sorts of videos out there how to do faux tactical paint jobs.

Personally, I probably won't be painting any more of my firearms, and will instead be cerakoting parts that need some color...as soon as the paint chips, it can cause spots that will rust and you can't necessarily oil an otherwise painted surface.

Post some pictures at each stage if you can...have fun with it!

Do t care about pistols . But my main ak I did . Spray can , use some plants around my place for patterns etc .
b1c455ff3b27c72b8945043bff3ab59a.jpg

Haven't gitteb around to the handguard since I might change it out soon.

Do t care about pistols . But my main ak I did . Spray can , use some plants around my place for patterns etc .
b1c455ff3b27c72b8945043bff3ab59a.jpg

Haven't gitteb around to the handguard since I might change it out soon.

you would blend right into my fern garden

I use the krylon camo series. Matte brown, green, and black.

one thing a lot of people do is to use native vegetation as a stencil. I.E. put down a bare layer of one color, hang a branch with some leaves over the rifle, and spray a second color.

I use the krylon camo series. Matte brown, green, and black.

one thing a lot of people do is to use native vegetation as a stencil. I.E. put down a bare layer of one color, hang a branch with some leaves over the rifle, and spray a second color.

That's what I did it works better if you put it right on the gun . Start with the light colors and use dark ones later.
Doyle's ? Not sure if I'm spelling that right , those wears frabric things with holes old people use to have in tables under lamps etc work too.

i use the krylon but i put an automotive prep primer on first. just made to have paint adhere to the metal surface better. a couple bucks at auto zone. havent done a whole gun but various parts, hand guards, etc.

Krylon camo flats work out great. I wouldn't hesitate to rattle can a rifle but would prefer a Cerakote/ Duracoat finish on a handgun. Here's my spray bombed bushmaster next to a cerakoted rig I did. I used some arborvitae branches from my backyard. The lower was sprayed as well. After about a year I grabbed the acetone to see how difficult it'd be remove. The krylon was more durable than I expected.

. IMG_3727.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

Last edited:
Other than the obvious daytime camo benefits, there are nighttime benefits as well.
This picture isn't mine; I stole it from a similar thread on some prep forum years ago and I can't give proper attribution, but it shows what I'm trying to get at
Painted gun on the left, unpainted gun on the right, under night vision

I am curious to know everyone's opinion on painting their weapons. I know there is much debate, on the proper way and what colors to use. I always paint most of my guns Dark Earth, and sort match it with OD Green. Living here in Mass, we have a lot of wooded areas. What is the best colors to use? And would you paint all your guns including your pistol?

Figure out a plan?

I'll have to post up a pic of my Remington 11-87 I painted myself for waterfowl'ing. I used random leaves from my property to create the patterns.

Moot point though I guess, since I just ordered a Winchester SX4 with the Mossy Oak Shadow Grass Blade pattern camo to replace the 11-87. [smile]

+1 on the prep work. Surfaces have to be de-oiled and clean. I used a 3M scuffpad to rough up the finish on mine before painting. It was already painted when I bought it but it was too dark. It was someone's turkey gun.

IMG_0379.jpg

When hunting, I use camo tape on my rifles. It's a cheap, durable option that preserves the resale value of the rifles, but still breaks up the silhouette. YMMV.

MT-CF-WoodlandDigital-Comp-19412_500x.jpg

Another krylon fan here. Cheap, easy to fix if you mess up or decide you don't like it anymore.

Sorry for the fancy pic, all I have on my phone right now
4543add2dc3c234f7fcf2ccd9af249c1.jpg

I used high temp wheel paint and clear coat on my glock. I wouldn't normally paint a pistol but the finish was in rough shape. I don't think I let it cure long enough.

03f80b7b5dbfff38dff1107edd56bf3d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom