Paintball

Does anyone on this forum have thoughts regarding Paintball? What does people think of the game? Does anyone think that it is acceptable for 10 year olds to shoot at each other? I'm little leery of this and I have noticed that most junior programs start shooting at paper targets at 12 yrs old.

Does anyone have an idea of the safety records of the major companies in Massachusetts?

The town adjacent to my gun club's town(gun club has land in both towns) is pondering a paint ball field. There are people that want to out right ban the paint ball. I am wondering if this would send shock waves towards the club. I did hear about the Sharon fiasco, so I am wondering if there is a possibility.

Thanks
Bill

I've tried it a couple times, my 12 year old son has tried it. I'm "ok" with it... not a huge fan but if it's managed well I see no problem with it. I fundamentally have issues with pointing any kind of gun that shoots projectiles at people... but my thoughts are slightly mixed on this. I'm not sure 10 is old enough... they WILL cry when hit in some places and I'm not sure they have enough disipline to NOT shoot at close range.

I've tried it a couple times, my 12 year old son has tried it. I'm "ok" with it... not a huge fan but if it's managed well I see no problem with it. I fundamentally have issues with pointing any kind of gun that shoots projectiles at people... but my thoughts are slightly mixed on this. I'm not sure 10 is old enough... they WILL cry when hit in some places and I'm not sure they have enough disipline to NOT shoot at close range.

The proposed facility has not specifically stated anything about "point blank." They are also talking about nighttime playing with external lighting. You have the same thoughts that I possess.

I worry that an accident would occur on the facility and they would put pressure on everyone around after such and accident. I did hear that the second unrelated gun club in Sharon was closed after an accident occurred on the first gun club.

Does anyone have some safety data or know about some of the rules? Who are the better paintball operators around MA?

thanks
bill

I have played for years. When I go I see kids 10 and up playing all the time.

As long as the field is managed well I have no problem with it. Good refs that pay attention and follow the rules make the game safe and fun. On the opposite side, refs that "play" with their friends can make an unsafe environment and tick a lot of people off.

I usually play at Friendly fire paintball in Upton. I know the owner and he is a great guy and makes sure that his refs follow the rules.

I have taken people with me that had never played before and they fell in love. It is not for everyone, just like any other shooting sport but to me... nothing relieves the stress of a working week like spending a weekend day shooting at people...and getting shot at...[rofl]

Common rules you will find at most reputable paintball fields will include:

• Barrel plugs in at all times when not on the field. I have seen plenty of people thrown out for this one.
  • Masks down at ALL TIMES when on the field. You cannot even lift it a little to scratch. If you can get your finger in a ball can get in too.
  • Everyone playing gets their gun checked for speed. Most fields top out at 280 or 300 FPS
  • "Surrender Rule" if you get within 10 feet of someone on the other team you MUST offer surrender. They however do not need to accept and can try to shoot it out...
  • You get shot, your out. This does not include spatter on "No Breaks".

I've played several times in the past at a place off of 495 down past 95. I think it was off Rt 47 or 48. It's been a couple of years since I've been back, but the place was well managed and they had a number of different fields to play in. We did a work thing one time were we had 40 players per side going at each other in the "capture the fort" field. Its all about having fun, so I don't get to hung up on the "pointing a weapon" at someone issue.

I've seen some young kids at that place that had much better equipment then we rented and they easily picked us off as their stuff had greater range then ours.

10 yrs old may be a little young though, unless your kid is pretty tough. As some have pointed out, it hurts when you get hit and it will leave a mark. I got hit one time right above my mask on the temple. Somehow it snuck in under my hat and it actually broke the skin and bled a little. Put a band aid on it and went back in at the next round.

I live right down the street from the Upton place, but have never been. We should do a NES group outing one time there.

I have been playing for a little while and see it like this.....

Like others commenting before me, I agree it depends on how well the field/facility is run.

I have been to P&S where they don't seem to check up on much. They will tach the guns at the begiining of the day but rarely again afterward. I have been there and complained numerous times of witnessing fellow players jacking up their pressure and doing some serious hurt to ather players. Occasionally, they may re-tach. Usually, you get a blank stare. Sometimes, you get asked to stop being disruptive.

Canobie Paintball, on the other hand, will eject you for screwing around. That, and the help is just that. They give good safety rundowns, ump well, and show newbies how to use the equipment correctly.

Under controlled scenarios, it can be great fun for young kids. They need to watched a closer though. They also need to fully understand that, no matter how bundled you are, it is going to hurt when you get hit on the body. I have seen some kids, no younger than about 11, have a great time out there with the adults.

While I definitely DO NOT think licensing should apply to paintball guns, there should be some sort of minimum age limit for puchasing them. I see my neighbor's bonehead kids running around with the Wal-Mart jobs from yard to yard when the weather is warm. The rick of light property damage aside, they risk injury to themselves.
I see them running around with no mask, in t-shirts and shorts. Body shots will hurt and, if the pressure is up, leave a scar. BUT that thing will replace your eyeball at low pressures.

So, after my blah, blah, blahing, the bottom line is: Like all things, play safe and smart and have fun. Choose your playmates wisely. Try to exit an unsafe situation before it gets you hurt.

Take care all.

Boston Paintball Outdoor, which is on the grounds of Maynard Sportsmen's, is a nice place to play. So is Randolph.

I love the game, but I don't have time and can't risk hurting my hands anymore, and it seems like the few times anyone could get me, they'd always hit me in the fingers.

Fox 4 is where I first met Brent. although we called him E-mag at the time. (^_^)

Good field, good people, no BS. Fox 4 Website

Whereever you go, set up as far from things as you can. Less likely to get hit by an anxious newb and less people milling around your stuff.

I do wish the fields ran more like a live fire range in terms of safety. I never get used to the popping of a gun even if the ammo is out of it.

Cheating in paintball is unfortunately common. Not much you can do about it. Can be a real downer at times, but if you are prepared for it, it doesn't bother you too much. Just remember, what goes around comes around. I remember a certain juvenile group that routinely was wiping shots off. By the end of the day, a fairly large group of us decided enough was enough. The entire next outing, we found the group and just pelted them non-stop. Finally a ref called it off. When the kids complained, the ref told them "perhaps next time if you call yourself out properly during the day, people might bother to listen for the call later in the day."

You will be bruised, you will be sore, and you will have a great time.

Cheating in paintball is unfortunately common. Not much you can do about it. Can be a real downer at times, but if you are prepared for it, it doesn't bother you too much. Just remember, what goes around comes around. I remember a certain juvenile group that routinely was wiping shots off. By the end of the day, a fairly large group of us decided enough was enough. The entire next outing, we found the group and just pelted them non-stop. Finally a ref called it off. When the kids complained, the ref told them "perhaps next time if you call yourself out properly during the day, people might bother to listen for the call later in the day."

"Wipers!"

While I definitely DO NOT think licensing should apply to paintball guns, there should be some sort of minimum age limit for puchasing them. I see my neighbor's bonehead kids running around with the Wal-Mart jobs from yard to yard when the weather is warm. The rick of light property damage aside, they risk injury to themselves.
I see them running around with no mask, in t-shirts and shorts. Body shots will hurt and, if the pressure is up, leave a scar. BUT that thing will replace your eyeball at low pressures.

I think that you can not purchase one with out a permit, if under the age of 18. Wouldn't the statute regarding air rifles apply to paint ball guns?

I am little surprised about 10 years old playing. The idea of 10 years playing at night has me very worried.

Bill

I think that you can not purchase one with out a permit, if under the age of 18. Wouldn't the statute regarding air rifles apply to paint ball guns?

I am little surprised about 10 years old playing. The idea of 10 years playing at night has me very worried.

Bill

No permit required and when you wear the proper headgear it is a very safe sport.

I started off at Skat in New Ipswich, NH which was mainly a sporting Clays club. They tried to set up a paint ball course to try and introduce more people into the shooting sports.

I then used to play at Fox 4 for a while before I moved back to NH. That place was pretty well run.

Back
Top Bottom