P-64's now C&R...

Didn't see anything on a search so I figured I'd throw this out there...Polish P-64's apparently have made the C&R list:

300px-Pistol_P64_CZAK.jpg

Looks like my ČZ vz. 82 won't be lonely anymore.

http://50ae.net/collection/p64/

Lots of places are selling out and some places are claiming they don't have the approval yet. Give it a little while and there will be a flood of them and hey... they'll still be under $200![grin]

I checked a pre-Obama sales flyer from a certain vendor and lo and behold, the price of the P-64 has remain unchanged since March of 2008. Seeing what has happened to the price and availability of other C&R pistols (cz52, cz82, etc.) I'm not hesitating on this one. I'd just like to know where the spare mags are!

Also, anyone have a lead on replacement springs? I understand the DA trigger pull on these is brutal.

I checked a pre-Obama sales flyer from a certain vendor and lo and behold, the price of the P-64 has remain unchanged since March of 2008. Seeing what has happened to the price and availability of other C&R pistols (cz52, cz82, etc.) I'm not hesitating on this one. I'd just like to know where the spare mags are!

Also, anyone have a lead on replacement springs? I understand the DA trigger pull on these is brutal.

See: http://www.p64resource.com/fixes.php

No kidding? I was wondering if I'd have to wait 'til 2014 to check one of these babies out. I'll start searching for one today. Thanks for the info!

I think I'll order the Wolff spring kit before I even receive one of these guns. I hear they have an atrocious DA pull. I can't imagine it's much worse than a stock PPK trigger but this remains to be seen.

I just got mine from a CR dealer. which we won't mention. I dont know if they ship to MA because I am in NH. They said excellent condition. I am not disappointed. if it was shot, it was not shot often. I did do the hand select. It appears smaller than my other makarovs but looks like it will be fun to shoot.

The date is 1972 so it is not 50yrs old but must have fallen into the CR pile some other way. $169+ 10 HP plus shipping = just under $200. I have not fired it yet, but soon enough!

I just got mine from a CR dealer. which we won't mention. I dont know if they ship to MA because I am in NH. They said excellent condition. I am not disappointed. if it was shot, it was not shot often. I did do the hand select. It appears smaller than my other makarovs but looks like it will be fun to shoot.

The date is 1972 so it is not 50yrs old but must have fallen into the CR pile some other way. $169+ 10 HP plus shipping = just under $200. I have not fired it yet, but soon enough!
The C&R Fairy paid me a visit and I've just finished updating my bound book. 1972 here as well, looks like it has the small (early) hammer spur. Bore is mirror bright. A few small marks on the exterior that are only noticeable if you look for them and I would guess are due to storage vs. use. There were bits of cosmoline here & there but not packed to the seams and an easy cleanup. At first the grips looked like crap but they cleaned right up. Speaking of cleaning right up, the orange "FIRE" dot came off with the first swipe of a Hoppes-soaked nylon brush.
p64-01.jpg

p64-02.jpg

It came with 2 mags, one was electropencil matched to the pistol and in excellent condition. The other appeared older, had a different style follower, internal rust and three different serial numbers penciled on the mag body. Cleaned up fine however and doesn't seem to have any permanent damage.

Holster is brand-spankin' new. I can't get it to snap closed. No big deal, it's your typical Combloc flap holster that I doubt I would ever wear anyways. The leather smells real nice though.

I haven't fired it yet but I have to ask WTF these crazy Poles were thinking when they came up with this DA pull. SA is nice and smooth, DA reminds me of dragging a full garbage can to the curb with the tip of my finger. Definitely will be ordering some springs to lighten it up a bit. FWIW, you can still manually cock the hammer with your thumb and drop the hammer SA from there.

[STRIKE]No pictures yet, need to get my FA-10 off to those folks in Chelsea first.[/STRIKE]
FA-10 is on it's way, added a couple cell pics.

Last edited:
Be careful when you change the spring to lighten up the DA trigger pull it also lightens up the SA pull.

I find the DA trigger pull acts as an added safety, no chance of an accidental discharge with this one.

They fit in PPK/s holsters pretty good too.

I think the recoil is harsh and when I replaced the recoil spring the slide jammed open so I changed it back and haven't tried again since.

Got mine a few days ago. 1976 w/ the longer hammer spur.

Distributor was out of holsters, so got the gun, two mags (one numbered to the gun) and a cleaning rod.

I don't see one scratch or ding on the entire gun. The bore is minty and bright. I would swear its NIB if I didn't know better. There was some cosmoline packed into the lockwork but that was minimal. I took the gun down to the last part and its a fairly easy gun to dis- and re-assemble. I haven't shot it yet but I'll throw a few rounds downrange sometime this week.

My overall impression of the gun is that its a simple design, cheap to manufacture but still a decent quality. I don't like that the trigger does not set back at all when you manually cock the hammer. This makes for a long, awkward takeup before the trigger breaks in SA. The mag release at the heel is all but hidden by the grips, making it tough to get your thumb in there to quickly to release the mag. The plastic grips seem flimsy and cheap. They make a creaking sound and move around in your hand while getting a good firm firing grip on the gun. I hear Marschal grips makes nice wood replacements but there's no way I'm dropping $50+ on wood grips for a $170 milsurp handgun. After studying the gun I decided I will not be changing any springs in it. It will not be carried so I don't care about the extremely heavy DA pull. I read on the P64 forum that those who go with a lighter main spring report troubles with light primer strikes. I bought it to add to my C&R pistol collection so I'll leave everything original.

Word of advise to new owners of this gun: Don't bother taking the loaded chamber indicator assembly and it's retainer out of the slide unless its absolutely necessary. Its a bastard to get the retainer back in so its correctly seated against the spring.

Last edited:
I ran 50 rounds through mine yesterday.

Certainly plenty of felt recoil and my trigger finger got battered a little. I actually found it more comfortable to shoot it off-hand. With the supporting hand grasping where I would any other pistol, the trigger guard did a number on the index finger. This is one of the smallest (if not the smallest) guns chambered in 9x18. It's the highest pressure round you can still safely design a straight-blowback pistol around, and you can sure understand why when you shoot this thing.

Had a few failure-to-feed's where the fresh round almost made it all the way into the chamber but got caught up at about a 30 degree angle. I attribute this to the ammo, (Wolf with the really "tacky" laquered case) and the fact that this gun probably would still need to be broken in before being considered reliable. I really don't think there were many rounds through it in it's life off the assembly line. I cleaned it again and I'll try different ammo next time and see what happens. One time the safety engaged during firing, decocking the hammer and disconnecting the trigger. The safety detent and it's spring hold the safety pretty secure so I'd say it was probably my thumb that swiped it. Again, I don't plan on carrying it for SD but I'd like to see if it could be considered reliable enough to do so. If that were the case I'd say it's a great buy for someone on a budget looking for a dependable pocket gun with a little more oomph than a lowly .32acp! [grin]

I don't get it. A lot of you people buy milsurp handguns and complain about the trigger pull. These aren't sold as fun to shoot or target guns, they're a sidearm that if a soldier had to pull out and use at point blank range or as a last resort to save his/her life, they weren't concerned with trigger pull weight because they were just glad it worked.

Buy it and shoot it for what it is and enjoy the history.

I completely agree Ray. However this particular milsurp sidearm has the worst DA pull I've ever seen in any handgun. Mine is so hard you can barely get the hammer to drop. I won't be carrying mine so I really don't care as the SA pull is fine. If you check out the "P64 forum" there are many guys who bought one cheap as dirt, did a little upgrading and 'smithing and use it as their EDC. To each their own I guess.

If I had to choose a milsurp handgun on the common market today to carry, it'd definitely be my EG Makarov. In accuracy, reliability, shootability, ruggedness, and concealability, that gun rivals some new production guns out now costing 3 times as much! In fact I'm picking up another this weekend. [wink]

If I had to choose a milsurp handgun on the common market today to carry, it'd definitely be my EG Makarov. In accuracy, reliability, shootability, ruggedness, and concealability, that gun rivals some new production guns out now costing 3 times as much! In fact I'm picking up another this weekend. [wink]

+ 1 on the EG Mak !!!!!

I just shot mine this weekend. I did not see a big issue with the trigger pull with mine. I did however have the pistol skin the webbing of my hand when it recoiled and chambered the round. I have average size hands, but there is no more room on the grip. I thought i was holding it correctly, rechecked my grip and did it again this time I got somewhere between a cut and torn blister. I dont see any other way around it. IT is a nice toy but not one I will be shooting much.

The left rear edge of the frame just above the grip is as sharp as a knife. I took a couple of swipes with a file and it is much better. Recoil is SHARP as well. Fired about 50/60 rounds and no failures at all. Nice pick for my first C&R as well. Being Polish didn't hurt either. [smile]

Michael Chludenski.

Back
Top Bottom